|Number of teams||16|
|Level on pyramid||Level 7|
|Promotion to||Landesliga Schleswig-Holstein|
|Current champions||SSC Phoenix Kisdorf |
The Verbandsliga Schleswig-Holstein-West is the seventh tier of the German football league system and the third-highest league in the German state of Schleswig-Holstein, together with three other leagues at this level in the state. The league was formed at the end of the 2007-08 season to replace the previously existing Bezirksoberligas at this level.
With the changes to the German football league system in 2008 that went alongside the introduction of the 3. Liga, four new Verbandsligas were formed in Schleswig-Holstein as the sixth tier of the league system, these being:
- Verbandsliga Schleswig-Holstein-West (as Süd-West)
- Verbandsliga Schleswig-Holstein-Süd (as Süd-Ost)
- Verbandsliga Schleswig-Holstein-Nord (as Nord-West)
- Verbandsliga Schleswig-Holstein-Ost (as Nord-Ost)
These four new Verbandsligas replaced the previously existing four Bezirksoberligas (BOL), who were, until then, divided into a northern, southern, eastern and western division. The Bezirksoberligas themselves were formed in 1999. Other changes in the league system were the abolishment of the four Bezirksoberligas and the five Bezirksligas below them. Additionally, the regional alignment of the four new Verbandsligas differed from the Bezirksoberligas they replaced, making the change from one to the other more than just a renaming of leagues.
The new Verbandsliga Schleswig-Holstein-West was formed from one club of the Verbandsliga Schleswig-Holstein (V), two clubs from the former Bezirksoberliga Schleswig-Holstein-Süd (VI), four clubs from the Bezirksoberliga Schleswig-Holstein-West and the Bezirksoberliga Schleswig-Holstein-Ost each, one from the Bezirksliga Schleswig-Holstein-Ost (VII) and four clubs from the Bezirksliga Schleswig-Holstein-Süd (VII), three from the northern division and one from the southern division.
The league champions of each of the four Verbandsligas will earn promotion to the Landesliga Schleswig-Holstein. Below the four Verbandsligas, eight regional Kreisligas are placed. The bottom teams in the Verbandsligas will be relegated to the Kreisligas while the champions of those will earn promotion to the Verbandsligas. The Verbandsliga West covers the following four Kreise:
From the 2017-18 season onwards, the Verbandsligas were contracted to 16 teams each and downgraded to seventh tier with the introduction of the new Landesliga Schleswig-Holstein (VI).
|2010–11||SG Türk Spor/Itzehoer SV|
|2018–19||SSC Phoenix Kisdorf|
- In 2011 SV Schackendorf was promoted instead of SG Türk Spor/Itzehoer SV. Türk Spor Itzehoe and Itzehoer SV merged in April that year to form FC Itzehoe.
- In 2014 runner-up SV Henstedt-Ulzburg was promoted instead of SG Reher-Puls.
- In 2018 and 2019 runners-up MTSV Hohenwestedt and SV Tungendorf were also promoted respectively.
The league was formed from 16 clubs, which had played in the following leagues in 2007-08:
- From the Verbandsliga Schleswig-Holstein:
- SV Todesfelde, 13th
- From the Bezirksoberliga Schleswig-Holstein-Süd:
- Kaltenkirchener TS, 6th
- SV Westerrade, 10th
- From the Bezirksoberliga Schleswig-Holstein-West:
- SV Alemannia Wilster, 5th
- TSV Laegerdorf, 8th
- MTSV Hohenwestedt, 9th
- ETSV Fortuna Glückstadt, 11th
- From the Bezirksoberliga Schleswig-Holstein-Ost:
- TuS Nortorf, 3rd
- PSV Neumünster, 7th
- TSV Wankendorf, 8th
- TSV Gadeland, 12th
- From the Bezirksliga Schleswig-Holstein-Ost:
- SG Reher-Puls, 1st
- From the Bezirksliga Schleswig-Holstein-Süd (Süd):
- SV Henstedt-Rhen II, 6th
- From the Bezirksliga Schleswig-Holstein-Süd (Nord):
- SV Schackendorf, 3rd
- SV Wahlstedt, 4th
- SG Bornhöved-Trappenkamp, 6th
- "Staffeleinteilung Spielserie 2017/2018" [Distribution by division for 2017–18 season] (PDF) (in German). 6 July 2017.
- "Neue Ligenstruktur und Verjüngung" [New league structure and rejuvenation]. fupa.net (in German). 31 May 2016.
- VL Schleswig-Holstein table 2007-08 Fussball.de, accessed: 16 April 2009
- BOL Schleswig-Holstein-Süd table 2007-08 Fussball.de, accessed: 16 April 2009
- BOL Schleswig-Holstein-West table 2007-08 Fussball.de, accessed: 16 April 2009
- BOL Schleswig-Holstein-Ost table 2007-08 Fussball.de, accessed: 16 April 2009
- BL Schleswig-Holstein-Ost table 2007-08 Fussball.de, accessed: 16 April 2009
- BL Schleswig-Holstein-Süd (Süd) table 2007-08 Fussball.de, accessed: 16 April 2009
- BL Schleswig-Holstein-Süd (Nord) table 2007-08 Fussball.de, accessed: 16 April 2009
- Deutschlands Fußball in Zahlen, (in German) An annual publication with tables and results from the Bundesliga to Verbandsliga/Landesliga, publisher: DSFS
- Kicker Almanach, (in German) The yearbook on German football from Bundesliga to Oberliga, since 1937, published by the Kicker Sports Magazine
- Die Deutsche Liga-Chronik 1945-2005 (in German) History of German football from 1945 to 2005 in tables, publisher: DSFS, published: 2006
- Das deutsche Fussball Archiv (in German) Historic German league tables
- The Schleswig-Holstein Football Association (SHFV) (in German)