Statue honouring heroine Madeleine de Verchères.
Location within Marguerite-D'Youville RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||September 18, 1971|
|• Mayor||Alexandre Bélisle|
|• Federal riding||Pierre-Boucher—Les Patriotes—Verchères|
|• Prov. riding||Verchères|
|• Total||85.20 km2 (32.90 sq mi)|
|• Land||73.27 km2 (28.29 sq mi)|
|• Density||77.7/km2 (201/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||8.6%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
In the 17th century, the settlement at Verchères was the scene of an Iroquois raid that was apparently thwarted by the ingenuity of a 14-year-old girl named Madeleine (now known as Madeleine de Verchères). A cast-iron statue of Madeleine de Verchères stands today by the former location of the settlement stronghold on the shore of the Saint-Lawrence river.
In French, the word Verchères can be used as an adjective to describe a specific type of rowboat invented in Verchères at the end of the 19th century, i.e. chaloupe verchères. A specimen of the rowboat is on permanent outdoor display during in the summer and fall in at the Parc Jean-Marie Moreau across from the town office.
The motto of Verchères is In Tenebris Lumen Rectis Corde. The streets of Verchères are mostly named after the patronyms of residing families but also after local people who rose to celebrity in Canadian history.
|Canada census – Verchères community profile|
|Population:||5,692 (+8.6% from 2006)||5,243 (+9.6% from 2001)|
|Land area:||73.27 km2 (28.29 sq mi)||73.24 km2 (28.28 sq mi)|
|Population density:||77.7/km2 (201/sq mi)||71.6/km2 (185/sq mi)|
|Median age:||40.7 (M: 40.1, F: 41.3)||40.3 (M: 39.8, F: 40.9)|
|Total private dwellings:||2,406||2,162|
|Median household income:||$68,946||$58,764|
|References: 2011 2006 earlier|
|Historical Census Data - Verchères, Quebec|
|Canada Census Mother Tongue - Verchères, Quebec|
French & English
|Year||Responses||Count||Trend||Pop %||Count||Trend||Pop %||Count||Trend||Pop %||Count||Trend||Pop %|
Notable natives and residents
- Joseph Coulon de Jumonville whose death while a prisoner of George Washington ignited the French and Indian War theater of the Seven Years' War
- Louis Coulon de Villiers who is the only officer to whom Washington ever surrendered.
- François Coulon de Villiers another of the Coulon brothers who would later be Alcalde of New Orleans, Louisiana (New Spain)
- Bernard Landry former Premier of Quebec .
- Lynda Lemay, songwriter and singer.
- Calixa Lavallée, composer of O Canada.
- Pierre Bouchard, Montreal Canadiens retired former professional hockey player.
- Alexandre Beaudoin, fingerprint scientist
- Reference number 65404 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire: Verchères
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: VERCHÈRES--LES PATRIOTES (Quebec)
- 2011 Statistics Canada Census Profile: Verchères, Quebec Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "cp2011" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
Media related to Verchères (Québec) at Wikimedia Commons