||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
Rushworth after a performance of the musical Hairspray, April 2009
|Born||Verity Charlotte Rushworth
15 August 1985
|Known for||Role of Donna Windsor|
|Notable work||Donna Windsor in Emmerdale|
|Spouse(s)||Dominic Michael Shaw (m. 9 March 2013)|
Verity Charlotte Rushworth-Shaw (born 15 August 1985 in Bradford, West Yorkshire) is an English actress. She is best known for playing the role of Donna Windsor in the ITV soap opera Emmerdale from 1998 to 2014.
Life and career
In 1997, Rushworth had small roles in ITV television programs such as Heartbeat. In 1998, at the age of 12, she went on to play her most notable role of Donna Windsor in the ITV soap opera Emmerdale, having taken over the role from Sophie Jeffery who played the part from 1993 to 1997. In an interview, Rushworth stated that Sammy Winward is her closest friend from the show.
In January 2007, Rushworth was a contestant on the celebrity singing contest, Soapstar Superstar, in which she came 9th. While on the show, she performed the following songs:
- Day 1: Runaway (The Corrs)
- Day 2: I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers in My Hair) (Sandi Thom)
- Day 3: I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Whitney Houston)
In September 2007, she appeared on Ghosthunting With The Dingles with other members of her Emmerdale on-screen family.
After appearing on Emmerdale for over 10 years, Rushworth filmed her final scenes at the end of 2008 which were later aired in January 2009.
From 2 February 2009, she made her West End debut by playing the role of Penny Pingleton in the hit musical Hairspray, taking over the role from Elinor Collett. The show continued until March 2010.
On 5 June 2010, Rushworth appeared on the BBC One programme Hole in the Wall.
In January 2011, Rushworth took over the role of Maria in the UK tour of The Sound Of Music from Connie Fisher and also played the lead role of Penny Lane in the UK Tour of Carnaby Street - The Musical.[when?]
Rushworth played the role of Velma in Chicago at Curve Theatre, Leicester from November 2013 to January 2014 
On 6 January 2014, it was announced that Rushworth would be returning to Emmerdale to reprise the role of Donna Windsor-Dingle after a five-year-absence. Rushworth began filming in February, and returned on screen on 19 March 2014. It was announced that she will be back as Donna for 5 months and departed on 15 August 2014.
- Heartbeat - Lucy Keen (1997) - 1 Episode
- Emmerdale - Donna Windsor-Dingle (1998–2009, 2014) - Series Regular, 427 Episodes
- Hairspray - Penny Pingleton (2009–2010 London West End)
- Departure Lounge - Sophie (2010)
- The Sound Of Music - Maria (2011 UK Tour)
- Annie - Grace Farrel (2011 - West Yorkshire Playhouse)
- Seven Year Itch - Salisbury Playhouse - March 2012
- Merrily We Roll Along (musical) - Theatr Clwyd - May 2012,
- Chicago - Velma - (2013–2014 Curve Theatre Leciester)
- And Then There Were None - Vera Claythorne (2015 UK Tour)
- Yorkshire Evening Post - The West End Girl: Meet Leeds’ own Verity Rushworth INTERVIEW
- Wharfedale Observer - Rawdon's Verity comes home in musical classic
- Derbyshire Council (Verity Rushworth interview)
- Daniels, Colin (26 March 2011). "Verity Rushworth: 'I'd love Fair City role'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
- Brown, David (8 January 2014). "Emmerdale: Verity Rushworth to return as Marlon's ex-wife Donna". Radio Times. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Verity Rushworth To Star In Richard Greenberg's Adaption Of Breakfast At Tiffany's". November 10, 2015. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- Mark Shenton (2012-05-10). "The Stage / Reviews / Merrily We Roll Along". Thestage.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-11-20.