This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Verlyn Flieger (born 1933) is an author, editor, and professor in the Department of English at the University of Maryland at College Park. She teaches courses in comparative mythology, medieval literature and the works of J. R. R. Tolkien.
Flieger holds an M.A. (1972) and Ph.D. (1977) from The Catholic University of America, and has been associated with the University of Maryland since 1976. In 2012, Flieger began teaching Arthurian studies at Signum University.
Her best-known books are Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World (1983; revised edition, 2002); A Question of Time: J. R. R. Tolkien's Road to Faerie, which won the 1998 Mythopoeic Award for Inklings studies; and Interrupted Music: The Making of Tolkien's Mythology (2005).
She won the Mythopoeic Award for Inklings Studies a second time in 2002 for Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth, which she co-edited with Carl Hostetter.
Flieger has also written a young adult fantasy, Pig Tale, and short stories.
Scholarly books written or edited by Verlyn Fleger include:
- Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World, 1983
- Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World (revised edition), 2002, ISBN 0-87338-744-9
- A Question of Time: J.R.R. Tolkien's Road to Faerie, 2001, ISBN 0-87338-699-X
- Interrupted Music: The Making Of Tolkien's Mythology, 2005, ISBN 0-87338-824-0
- Smith of Wootton Major by J.R.R. Tolkien, extended critical edition (editor), 2005, ISBN 0-00-720247-4
- Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth (co-editor with Carl Hostetter), 2000, ISBN 0-313-30530-7
- Tolkien on Fairy-stories by J.R.R. Tolkien (co-editor with Douglas A. Anderson), 2008, ISBN 0-00-724466-5
- Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review (co-editor), West Virginia University Press, ISSN 1547-3155
- Green Suns and Faerie: Essays on J.R.R. Tolkien, 2012, ISBN 978-1-60635-094-2
- The Story of Kullervo by J.R.R. Tolkien, (editor), 2015, ISBN 978-0008131364
- "Avilion" in The Doom of Camelot ed. James Lowder 2000
- "Green Hill Country" in Seekers of Dreams ed. Douglas A. Anderson 2005
- Vita at Mythus
- Flieger, Verlyn, and Carl Hostetter (eds.), Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth, 2000, ISBN 0-313-30530-7 (About the Contributors)
- Tolkien Studies bibilographic information at Muse
|This biography of an American English academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American short story writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This fantasy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|