Vermilion Parish School Board
Vermilion Parish is headed by Superintendent Jerome Puyau. Puyau's leadership style has been called intimidating and in January 2018 a teacher was handcuffed during a public discussion of his pay raise.
The Superintendent of Vermilion Parish, Puyau, worked in Vermilion Parish before becoming the district’s supervisor of maintenance in August 2006. He was named superintendent-elect in July 2012, and took over the position permanently in January 2013. His January 2017 contract renewal was controversial as board members called his style intimidating and found that he lacked strategic vision.
On January 8, 2018, teacher Deyshia Hargrave was arrested for questioning the school board about their decision to increase Payau's salary but keep teacher salaries unchanged. Board president Anthony Fontana Jr. resigned on January 19, 2018.
There is a mandatory Discipline Plan for grades 4 through 12. Corporal punishment may be administered by teachers and administrators. An adult witness must be present. There is a maximum of five strokes per punishment, which must be delivered to the student's posterior. The paddle used is of wood, 14 to 15 inches long, 6 inches wide and a half-inch thick. Other discipline management techniques include suspension (in or out of school) and expulsion. Also, students aged 15 through 18 who are persistently absent from or tardy to school may have their driving privileges revoked by the State of Louisiana.
- Abbeville High School  (Abbeville)
- Erath High School  (Erath)
- Kaplan High School  (Kaplan)
- North Vermilion High School  (Unincorporated area)
- Forked Island - East Broussard Elementary School (Unincorporated area)
- Indian Bayou Elementary School (Unincorporated area)
- Cecil Picard Elementary School at Maurice (Maurice)
- Eaton Park Elementary School (Abbeville)
- James A. Herod Elementary School (Abbeville) (formerly East Abbeville Elementary School)
- Jesse Owens Elementary School (Gueydan)
- Meaux Elementary School (Meaux)
- Seventh Ward Elementary School (Unincorporated area)
- Amanda McElfresh (May 16, 2016). "Vermilion Parish superintendent could face termination". KATC. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "Teacher removed from Vermilion school board meeting in handcuffs". KATC. January 8, 2018. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- Rosa, Chris (2018-01-19). "School Board President Anthony Fontana is resigning from the school board". Vermillion Today. Retrieved 2018-01-21.
- Student/Parent Handbook 2011-2012, Vermilion Parish School Board. pp. 8-10.
- Student dress code. Vermilion Parish School Board.