Vermilion Valley Railroad
|Locale||Western Indiana, eastern Illinois|
|Dates of operation||2003–|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
The Vermilion Valley Railroad (reporting mark VVRR) is a 5.9-mile (9.5 km) short-line railroad that operates across the Indiana-Illinois state line, connecting the Flex-N-Gate Corporation facility west of Covington, Indiana with CSX Transportation in Danville, Illinois. The line is owned by the FNG Logistics Company (reporting mark FNG), a subsidiary of auto parts manufacturer Flex-N-Gate, its primary customer. Operations by the VVRR, owned by the Indiana Boxcar Corporation, began in 2003 after CSX abandoned the ex-New York Central Railroad line.
The line was completed in 1869 by the Indianapolis, Crawfordsville and Danville Railroad, and later became part of the Pekin-Indianapolis line of the Peoria and Eastern Railway, a New York Central Railroad subsidiary. Successor Conrail abandoned the portion between Olin and Crawfordsville by 1985, and in 1999 the remaining pieces were conveyed to New York Central Lines LLC for operation by CSX. CSX filed with the Surface Transportation Board for abandonment between Danville and Olin in 2001, since there had been no traffic for the past three years. Flex-N-Gate Corporation submitted an offer of financial assistance and bought the line through newly created FNG Logistics Corporation in December 2002. The Vermilion Valley Railroad began operating the line in April 2003.
- Interstate Commerce Commission, 28 Val. Rep. 90 (1929), Valuation Docket No. 264: The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company and its Leased Lines
- Conrail, Division & Region Maps, January 1983
- Conrail, Division Map Booklet, March 1985
- Consolidated Rail Corporation, System Map Showing the Proposed Acquisition of Conrail Lines & Rights (reformatted by Norfolk Southern Engineering Systems), July 9, 1997
- STB Docket No. AB-565 (Sub. No. 4X), October 5, 2001
- STB Docket No. AB-565 (Sub-No. 4X), April 28, 2003
- Railroad Retirement Board, Employer Status Determination: Vermilion Valley Railroad Company, Inc., June 30, 2003