Verne E. Rupright
Rupright was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, and graduated from Saugus High School in 1969. After high school, Rupright enlisted in the United States Air Force, and spent a year in Vietnam. After moving to Alaska in 1976, Rupright began as a pipeline construction worker, and then became a state corrections officer. Since 1992, he has been a practicing attorney in Alaska. Rupright is married and has two daughters. During the United States presidential election, 2008, he was a supporter of Sarah Palin.
2008 Wasilla Mayoral Election
In 2008, after living in Wasilla for 25 years, Rupright contested a five-way race for mayor of Wasilla. He finished second in the city's October 7, 2008 mayoral election, and participated in a two-way runoff with Marty Metiva on October 28. Rupright won 466 votes in the runoff, and election officials confirmed him as the winner on October 31.
2011 Wasilla Mayoral Election
In 2010, Rupright responded to Levi Johnston's announcement that he is going to run for mayor of Wasilla. Rupright told Entertainment Tonight that, "Well, it is a little early to declare. Usually most wait until the year the seat is up. But since I am nearly old enough to be Levi's grandfather I think it would be wise for him to get a high school diploma and keep his clothes on. The voters like that!"
On April 4, 2011, the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman reported that "Controversial actions by Wasilla Mayor Verne Rupright have inspired Wasilla City Councilwoman Taffina Katkus to run for his seat this fall, joining former Bristol Palin fiancée Levi Johnston and possibly Councilwoman Dianne Woodruff."
On October 4, 2011, Rupright defeated challengers Dianne Woodruff, Taffina Katkus, and Mike Carson to win a second term as Mayor.
|Wasilla, Alaska mayoral election, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||Vern E. Rupright||524||46.7|
Mayor of Wasilla
Early during his term, Rupright set out a plan to make Wasilla a "fishing mecca" by rehabilitating Lake Lucille and stocking the lake with larger fish. Leaching sewer lines and fertilizer runoff had caused excess plant growth in the lake, sucking oxygen out of the water and leading to periodic fish kills. It has been as "impaired" in 1994 by the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.
Concerning the city's finances in early 2009, Rupright has stated that the city is preparing for a 5 percent cutback across the board.
In February 2009, Mayor Rupright advised Wasilla Police Chief Angella Long to study the annexation of Bogard Road land, including Williwaw Subdivision. The annexation would include 768 acres (3.11 km2) and more than 1,700 residents.
- "CITY OF WASILLA - OFFICIAL RESULTS - REGULAR CITY ELECTION, OCTOBER 7, 2014". City of Wasilla. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Ladler, John (2008-12-07). "Sure, but could Tina Fey play this Wasilla mayor?". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2008-12-30.
- "Saugus High Grad Now Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska". North Shore Living. March 11, 2009.
- "Former Saugus resident is elected Wasilla mayor in Alaska". The Saugus Advertiser. 2008-12-10. Retrieved 2008-12-30.
- Staff Reporter (November 5, 2008). "Hometown mayor lauds Palin". Yale Daily News. Retrieved February 20, 2015.
- Maria Downey (October 3, 2008). "Five run for Wasilla mayor". KTUU-TV.
- RINDI WHITE (October 21, 2008). "Metiva, Rupright in runoff for Wasilla mayor". Anchorage Daily News.
- "Rupright wins runoff; swearing-in Monday". Anchorage Daily News. November 1, 2008.
- Lori Tipton (October 31, 2008). "Local attorney Verne Rupright will be the next mayor of Wasilla.". KTUU-TV.
- Michael Rovito (November 7, 2008). "Mayor is ‘way busy’ to begin first term". Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman. Retrieved February 20, 2015.
- "Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska Reacts to Levi Johnston's Bid". CBS Studios. August 10, 2010.
- "CITY OF WASILLA - OFFICIAL RESULTS - REGULAR CITY ELECTION, OCTOBER 4, 2011". City of Wasilla, Alaska. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- RINDI WHITE (January 6, 2009). "Governing by design". Anchorage Daily News.
- RINDI WHITE (February 3, 2009). "Mayor eyes Lake Lucille in Wasilla as angler haven". Anchorage Daily News.
- http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/19/palin/ "Sarah Palin's dead lake"
- RINDI WHITE (February 3, 2009). "Wasilla mayor says city is generally strong financially". Anchorage Daily News.
- RINDI WHITE (February 10, 2009). "Wasilla sets annexation plans". Anchorage Daily News.
- Lori Tipton (April 20, 2009). "Wasilla mayor dismisses chief of police and CFO". KTUU-TV.
Dianne M. Keller
|Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska