Verne C. Harnish founded the Young Entrepreneurs' Organization (YEO), now known as Entrepreneurs' Organization, and the Association of Collegiate Entrepreneurs, both international entrepreneurship organizations. He also serves as Co-Founder and Principal of Gazelles Growth Institute and as Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Gazelles, Inc., a strategic planning and "executive education" company. He chairs the "Birthing of Giants" leadership program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the MIT/WEO Advanced Business Program for entrepreneurs over 40.
Education and writing career
Harnish is an author, often writing as the "Growth Guy" columnist for several publications. He has also contributed to CNNMoney. In 2002, Harnish published Mastering the Rockefeller Habits, which has been translated into Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. He created the "Rockefeller Habits" concept based on the leadership and management practices used by John D. Rockefeller. In the book, Harnish outlines three "pillars" to the habits: "Priorities", "Data" and "Rhythm". He recommends the practice of holding "huddles", or short daily meetings, in order for small business to maintain focus on strategic goals and establish accountability. The book received a positive reception from Forbes.His newest book "Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't" has received numerous awards including: Winner of the 2015 International Book Awards for General Business,Winner of the 2015 National Indie Excellence Award for General Business, Winner of the 2015 Readers' Favorite International Book Award Gold Medal for Non-Fiction Business,Winner of the 2015 Paris Book Festival Award for Business Winner of the 2015 Amsterdam Book Festival Award for Business
- Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm (2002)
- The Greatest Business Decisions of All Time (2012), with the editors of Fortune
- Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0)
- "6 ways to grow your business" (March 17, 2010), CNNMoney
- "7 Tips for Business Success" (March 18, 2014), Asian Scientist
- "Executive Profile: Verne C. Harnish". Businessweek. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Nisen, Max (November 12, 2012). "A Lot Can Go Wrong If Your Startup's Not Prepared For Success". Business Insider. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Speaker's Biography: Verne Harnish". Milken Institute. 2008. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Harnish, Verne (March 17, 2010). "6 ways to grow your business". CNNMoney. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Allison, Scott (August 31, 2012). "Mastering The Rockefeller Habits - How To Scale a Hyper-Growth Business". Forbes. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Buchanan, Leigh. "The Art of the Huddle". Inc. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Verne Harnish Brings Growth to Singapore Companies". Adam Khoo Learning Technologies Group. January 22, 2014. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Nisen, Max (October 8, 2012). "The Single Greatest Business Decision of All Time". Business Insider. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Kruse, Kevin (May 22, 2013). "The Top 5 Business Decisions Of All Time". Forbes. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0)". Amazon.com. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Bio at Gazelles.com
- Verne Harnish, the 'Growth Guy' at Gazelles.com
- Verne Harnish at BusinessNews.com.au
- How To Save Your Business From Near Disaster In A Down Market. – With Verne Harnish (April 30, 2009), Mixergy.com
- Verne Harnish’s Pearls of Entrepreneurial Wisdom: A Global Perspective (2012), Successful Culture
- The High-Growth Conundrum: Q&A with the ‘Growth Guy’, Verne Harnish by Bennett Voyles (November 2, 2012), CKGSB Knowledge
- Retraite Barcelona/Sitges, Verne Harnish (June 19, 2013), Entrepreneurs' Organization Netherlands