Old mill on the broken bridge
|Intercommunality||Portes de l'Eure|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Philippe Nguyen Thanh|
|Area1||34.92 km2 (13.48 sq mi)|
|• Density||720/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||27681 / 27200|
|Elevation||10–148 m (33–486 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
1027−1030 : Mention in a Latin written document as Vernum, the /m/ at the end could be the last remains of the Celtic magus 'plain' or 'market', or it is a simple latinization, and the origin is just the Celtic word *uerno, alder tree (Breton gwern, Welsh gwern, Irish fern).
The village gave its name to a family who took part to the Norman Conquest of England and then became a British first name.
- 750 - First mention of name Vernon by Pepin the Short.
- 1070 - Birth of Saint Adjutor.
- 1153 - Vernon is besieged by king Louis VII.
- 1196 - Vernon is joined to the royal domain by King Philip II Augustus.
- 1204 - Building of the Vernon Castle
- 1227 - Saint-Louis comes to Vernon.
- 1415 - Vernon becomes English.
- 1449 - Vernon passes to France (king Charles VII).
- 1596 - 8 October, Henry IV visits the Bizy Castle.
- 1600 - Construction of the Vieux-Moulin (old mill).
- 1606 - Henry IV creates a school.
- 1723 - Creation of the l'Avenue des Capucins.
- 1789 - Thomas Jefferson, his family, and Sally and James Hemings stop at Vernon on their way to Le Havre to return to America.
- 1804 - Vernonnet is attached to Vernon.
- 1810 - Napoleon I comes to Vernon.
- 1843 - Arrival of the railroad Paris-Rouen-Le Havre.
- 1858 - Building of the Saint-Louis Hospital.
- 1860 - Highworks urbanism in the center by Suchet d'Albuféra.
- 1862 - Building of the library.
- 1895 - Inauguration of the new cityhall by Adolphe Barette.
- 1897 - First cinema show at the Theatre from Vernon.
- 1910 - The Seine river overfloods the city.
- 1946 - Arrival of 28 German scientists from Pennemünde to develop French rockets.
- 1951 - First attempt to launch a Veronique-rocket (Vernonelectronic) 
- 1955 - Inauguration of the Clemenceau Bridge.
- 1966 - Building of the Georges Dumézil highschool .
- 1983 - First edition of the Foire aux Cerises (cherry fair).
- 1988 - 18 October, visit from François Mitterrand.
- 1992 - Building of the Espace Culturel Philippe Auguste.
- 1996 - 30 June, visit from Hillary Clinton.
- 2004 - 16 January, visit from Jean-Louis Borloo.
- 2004 - 29 January, visit from Alain Lambert.
- 2006 - 26 January, visit from Nicolas Sarkozy
- 2007 - 18 September, visit from Sharon Stone.
- 2007 - 19 September, visit from Emperor of Japan Akihito.
- 2008 - 15 June, visit from Laura Bush.
- 2009 - 16 March, visit from Bruno Le Maire.
- 2010 - August, produce film Maupassant with Cristiana Reali and Patrick Chesnais in historic city.
- 2010 - 6 August, visit from Woody Allen, Rachel McAdams, Owen Wilson, and Adrien Brody for production of Midnight in Paris in Giverny.
- 2010 - 14 December, visit from Nicolas Sarkozy, Bruno Le Maire, Valérie Pécresse, Eric Besson, Louis Gallois at Snecma
Twin towns – Sister cities
Vernon is twinned with:
- Tongo Hamed Doumbia, footballer
- Chantal Jouanno (born July 12, 1969), politician, former Secretary of State for Ecology.
- Joseph Mallord William Turner (April 23, 1775 − December 19, 1851), Romantic landscape painter.
- Jeremy Thiry-Césaire (born October 5, 1980), politician, relative of the writer, poet and politician Aimé Césaire.
- Ousmane Dembélé, footballer
- Philippe Montanier current Manager of Nottingham Forest F.C.
Tour des archives (Philippe Auguste's Keep)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vernon, Eure.|
- Vernon Vernon Web (In French)
- The town that liberated itself in 1944 Vernon, the town that liberated itself, in 1944 (a tale of the Resistance)
- Vernon - Official tourist board website in English
- Official website (in French)
- Vernon Unofficial website (in English and French)
- Vernon News Vernon Section of Giverny News (In French)