Vernon Center Township, Blue Earth County, Minnesota
|Vernon Center Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||35.5 sq mi (92.0 km2)|
|• Land||35.5 sq mi (92.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,020 ft (311 m)|
|• Density||8.5/sq mi (3.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665864|
Vernon Center Township was established in 1858.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.5 square miles (92.0 km²). All of it consists of land.
The city of Vernon Center is entirely within this township geographically but is a separate entity.
- Garden City Township (north)
- Rapidan Township (northeast)
- Lyra Township (east)
- Sterling Township (southeast)
- Shelby Township (south)
- Pleasant Mound Township (southwest)
- Ceresco Township (west)
- Lincoln Township (northwest)
The township contains these two cemeteries: Saint Matthews and Vernon Center.
As of the census of 2000, there were 301 people, 113 households, and 90 families residing in the township. The population density was 8.5 people per square mile (3.3/km²). There were 119 housing units at an average density of 3.3/sq mi (1.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 99.34% White, 0.33% Native American, and 0.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.00% of the population.
There were 113 households out of which 29.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.5% were married couples living together, 1.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.5% were non-families. 12.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.2% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 15.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 123.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 122.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $44,375, and the median income for a family was $49,583. Males had a median income of $28,542 versus $17,188 for females. The per capita income for the township was $20,729. About 6.0% of families and 10.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.6% of those under the age of eighteen and none of those sixty five or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder - Vernon Center Township total population Archived January 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 63.