Vernon Kay in 2007
|Born||Vernon Charles Kay
28 April 1974
Bolton, Greater Manchester, England
|Alma mater||Manchester Metropolitan University|
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Television||All Star Family Fortunes (2006–2015)
Beat the Star (2008–2009)
The Whole 19 Yards (2010)
1000 Heartbeats (2015—)
|Spouse(s)||Tess Daly (m. 2003)|
|Parent(s)||Norman and Gladys Kay|
Vernon Charles Kay (born 28 April 1974) is an English television presenter, radio DJ and former model best known for his television roles with ITV, presenting shows such as All Star Family Fortunes (2006–), Beat the Star (2008–2009) and Splash! (2013–2014). He also presented his own BBC Radio 1 show between 2004 and 2012. Kay currently presents his own show on Radio X, starting it in September 2015.
Kay's other television presenting roles have included The Whole 19 Yards on ITV in 2010, Home For the Holidays, a Christmas entertainment show for Channel 4 in 2011 and an ITV-mini series called Let's Get Gold in 2012. In 2015, he began hosting new ITV game show 1000 Heartbeats.
Kay was born and brought up in Horwich, Greater Manchester, the elder son of Norman and Gladys; he has a younger brother, Stephen. He attended St Joseph's RC High School in Horwich, near Bolton,. He then graduated in environmental science at Manchester Metropolitan University. He supports his hometown's football club Bolton Wanderers. He used to be a regular visitor to Manchester nightclub the Haçienda.
Between 20 April 2008 and 31 May 2009, Kay presented two series of Beat the Star, a programme for ITV. For two episodes, Kay was a contestant rather than the presenter, while Phillip Schofield stood in for him.
On 17 April 2010, Kay began co-presenting a game show for ITV called The Whole 19 Yardswith Caroline Flack which lasted for eight episodes and was filmed at Pinewood Studios. The series averaged 4.1 million viewers.
In 2010, Kay was the co-host of Skating with the Stars, which was broadcast in the United States for six episodes.
In 2011, Kay was originally going to present ITV game show Sing If You Can but, after the pilot, he felt that it would be better hosted by a comedian and was replaced by Keith Lemon. On 22 October 2011, Kay hosted game show Million Dollar Mind Game. In December 2011, Kay presented the Christmas Channel 4 show Home For the Holidays. In the summer of 2012, Kay presented ITV three episode mini-series Let's Get Gold, however the show received poor viewing figures and was axed.
In 2014, Kay guest presented four episodes of The One Show.
In 2015, Vernon began presenting daytime quiz show, 1000 Heartbeats for ITV. The first series began airing on 23 February in the 4pm timeslot. The show returned for a second run in November 2015, airing in the 3pm slot.
Kay hosted the non-broadcast pilot for a revival of Play Your Cards Right, a popular game show formerly hosted by Bruce Forsyth. The show was not commissioned for a series. In September 2015, he hosted a pilot for a new ITV game show Home Win, filmed at Fountain Studios in Wembley.
In January 2004, Kay joined BBC Radio 1 and presented an entertainment show every Sunday. In April 2004, he was given the 10 am – 1 pm weekend slot, which was previously hosted by Colin Murray and Edith Bowman and previously broadcast on both Saturdays and Sundays on the popular radio network. From October 2007 Dick and Dom took over Sunday mornings; Kay's show then ran between 10 am to 1 pm on Saturday. In 2008, he was one of a team of DJ's who filled in for Edith Bowman while she was on maternity leave along with Fearne Cotton and Nihal.
On 11 February 2009, it was announced that Kay would fill in for Chris Moyles while he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief, an act he repeated on 13 July 2009 when Moyles took a day off. He also filled-in for Pete Tong's Essential Selection on Radio 1 on 10 April 2008. That same year, Kay filled in again for Chris Moyles from 10 August to 15 August when he was on holiday. From 30 November 2009 Kay, again, covered for Chris Moyles on breakfast for a whole week as Moyles, Aled Haydn Jones and Fearne Cotton were away in Uganda handing out malaria nets and seeing how the money raised from the Mount Kilimanjaro climb for Comic Relief was being spent.
Kay made a cameo appearance in the 2012 film Keith Lemon: The Film.
On 12 September 2003, Kay married Tess Daly at St Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Horwich, in Bolton. They have two daughters the first born on 17 October 2004 in Westminster, London; the second born on 30 May 2009.
Kay is a passionate supporter of Bolton Wanderers F.C.. He is also a fan of American football, joining the Manchester Allstars at the age of 13 and reuniting the team in 2011 for a one-off match against the Birmingham Lions. In 2011, he signed for the London Warriors, for whom he plays in the BAFANL Premier South division as a defensive back.
|1999||Fully Booked||BBC One||Co-Presenter|
|2003||Boys and Girls||Co-Presenter|
|2005||Hit Me, Baby, One More Time||ITV||Presenter|
|2006–||All Star Family Fortunes||Presenter||Rest until 2016/2017|
|2006, 2007, 2013||The Paul O'Grady Show||Channel 4 and ITV||Guest Presenter|
|2007||Vernon Kay's Gameshow Marathon||ITV||Presenter|
|2008–2009||Beat the Star||Presenter|
|2010||The Whole 19 Yards||Presenter|
|Skating with the Stars||ABC||Co-Presenter|||
|2011||Home For the Holidays||Channel 4||Presenter|
|2012||Let's Get Gold||ITV||Presenter|||
|2013||The American Football Show||Channel 4||Presenter|||
|2014||The One Show||BBC One||Guest co-presenter|
- Guest appearances
- Shooting Stars (20 October 2002) – Guest
- Bo' Selecta! (20 June 11 July 2003) – Guest
- Davina (15 February 2006) – Guest
- James Corden's World Cup Live (19 June 2010) – Guest
- This Morning (30 September 2010, 16 December 2011, 21 June 2012, 1 February 2013) – Guest
- Celebrity Juice (14 April 2011, 14 March 2013, 16 April 2015) - Guest
- Chris Moyles' Quiz Night (22 July 2011) – Panellist
- 8 Out of 10 Cats (21 October 2011, 18 May, 19 November 2012, 8 March 2013) – Guest
- Alan Carr: Chatty Man (4 December 2011) – Guest
- Would I Lie to You? (3 May 2013) – Guest
- That Puppet Game Show (7 September 2013) – Contestant, with Mel Giedroyc
- Room 101 (14 February 2014) – Guest
- Through the Keyhole (4 October 2014, 3 October 2015) – Panellist
- Celebrity Squares (8 October 2014) – Guest
|2012||Keith Lemon: The Film||Himself|
|2014||Hercules||Feasting hall guest (uncredited)|
|2004–2012||BBC Radio 1||Presenter|
- "Vernon Kay background". Officialvernonkay.com. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- Relative values: Vernon Kay and his mother, Gladys The Sunday Times, 12 April 2009
- "Vernon's romantic proposal to Tess". The Bolton News (Newsquest Media Group). 6 January 2003. Retrieved 21 March 2008.
- "A happy homecoming for graduate Vernon Kay". The Bolton News (Newsquest Media Group). 10 July 2009. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Web links. Official Vernon Kay. Retrieved on 3 December 2011.
- "Channel 4 announces NFL presenting team". Sport on the Box. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "The American Football Show". Channel 4. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "ITV Daytime commissions 1000 Heartbeats | presscentre". Itv.com. 8 July 2014. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Ben Cooper, Controller, BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra (1 January 1970). "Media Centre – Radio 1 announces changes to its weekend schedule". BBC. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Vernon Kay joins Radio X". itv.com/news. ITV. Retrieved 15/9/15. Check date values in:
- "THE sun shone, the bride wore white ... and so did the groom.". The Bolton News (Newsquest Media Group). 13 September 2003.
- Biography by BBC Radio 1
- Births England and Wales 1984–2006. Findmypast.com. Retrieved on 3 December 2011.
- "A happy homecoming for graduate Vernon Kay". The Bolton News (Newsquest Media Group). 10 July 2009. Retrieved 3 December 2011.
- Akbor, Ruhubia (16 February 2011). "TV star Vernon Kay joins American Football team for last game". Oldham Advertiser (M.E.N. Media). Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "2011 Roster". londonwarriorsafc.co.uk. London Warriors AFC. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Vernon Kay Signs for The Warriors". London Warriors AFC. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- Breaking News – Pro Skater Pairings, Host and Color Commentator for ABC's "Skating With the Stars" Announced. TheFutonCritic.com (22 February 2005). Retrieved on 3 December 2011.
- "Vernon Kay to host ITV1 sports entertainment show 'Let's Get Gold'". Digital Spy. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Vernon Kay to present celebrity diving show Splash | The Sun |Showbiz|TV". The Sun. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "'Splash!': Tom Daley reality show to return for second series in 2014 – Splash News – Reality TV". Digital Spy. 4 February 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "Vernon Kay, Colin Murray front Channel 4's NFL coverage – TV News". Digital Spy. 6 September 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Official Website
- Vernon Kay on Radio X
- Official Twitter page
- Official Facebook page
- Official Google+ page
- Vernon Kay at the Internet Movie Database
|Host of Family Fortunes