Vernon K. Robbins
Vernon Kay Robbins (born March 13, 1939 in Wahoo, Nebraska) is an American New Testament scholar and historian of early Christianity. He is currently Winship Distinguished Research Professor of New Testament and Comparative Sacred Texts at Emory University, as well as visiting professor of New Testament at the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa. He is a major figure in Markan scholarship (scholarship related to the Gospel of Mark) and is the creator and a prominent proponent of socio-rhetorical criticism in New Testament studies.
Robbins obtained a B.A. from Westmar College, an M.Div. from United Theological Seminary and M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Chicago Divinity School. He taught at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign before moving to Emory and in 1983-84 he was Fulbright Professor at the University of Trondheim.
In 1991, Robbins founded the monograph series Emory Studies in Early Christianity. Then in 2015, he launched the Rhetoric of Religious Antiquity series with the Society of Biblical Literature Press, which contains within it Sociorhetorical Exploration Commentaries.
In 2003, a festschrift was published in his honor, Fabrics of Discourse: Essays in Honor of Vernon K. Robbins, edited by David B. Gowler, L. Gregory Bloomquist, and Duane F. Watson (ISBN 1563383659). In 2014, Robbins was featured as one of the five pioneers of New Testament rhetorical criticism in Genealogies of New Testament Rhetorical Criticism, Fortress Press (ISBN 9780800699741)
- The Art of Visual Exegesis: Rhetoric, Texts, Images" (2017, SBL Press)
- Foundations For Sociorhetorical Exploration: A Rhetoric of Religious Antiquity Reader" (2016, SBL Press)
- Jesus and Mary: Reimagined in Early Christian Literature" (2015, SBL Press)
- Who do People Say I Am?:Rewriting Gospel in Emerging Christianity" (2013, Eerdmans)
- Sea Voyages and Beyond: Emerging Strategies in Socio-Rhetorical Interpretation (2010, Deo Press)
- Invention of Christian Discourse 1 (2009, Deo Press)
- Exploring the Texture of Texts: A Guide to Socio-Rhetorical Interpretation (1996, Trinity Press International)
- New Boundaries in Old Territory: Forms and Social Rhetoric in Mark (edited and introduced by David B. Gowler; 1994, Peter Lang)
- Jesus the Teacher: A Socio-Rhetorical Interpretation of Mark (1984, Fortress Press) (Republished in 1992 & 2009)
- Ancient Quotes and Anecdotes: From Crib to Crypt (1989, Polebridge)
- Patterns of Persuasion in the Gospels (co-written with Burton Mack; Polebridge, 1989) (Republished in 2008, Wipf & Stock)
- The Tapestry of Early Christian Discourse: Rhetoric, Society and Ideology (1996, Routledge)
- "1983 Saunders County History". Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Curriculum Vitae". Emory University. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Vernon K. Robbins". Emory University. Retrieved 16 February 2012.