Vernon Township, Clinton County, Ohio
|Vernon Township, Clinton County, Ohio|
Location of Vernon Township in Clinton County
|• Total||28.0 sq mi (72.6 km2)|
|• Land||26.8 sq mi (69.5 km2)|
|• Water||1.2 sq mi (3.2 km2)|
|Elevation||938 ft (286 m)|
|• Density||112/sq mi (43.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085885|
Vernon Township is one of the thirteen townships of Clinton County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census reported 2,997 people living in the township, 2,449 of whom were in the unincorporated portions.
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Adams Township - north
- Union Township - northeast corner
- Washington Township - east
- Marion Township - south
- Harlan Township, Warren County - southwest
- Washington Township, Warren County - west
The entire township lies in the Virginia Military District.
Cowan Lake State Park is located partially in Vernon Township.
The village of Clarksville is located in western Vernon Township.
Name and history
Vernon Township was organized in 1810.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The township is in the Clinton-Massie Local School District.
- Clinton County Historical Society. Clinton County, Ohio, 1982. Wilmington, Ohio: The Society, 1982.
- Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 6th ed. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme, 2001. ISBN 0-89933-281-1
- Ohio. Secretary of State. The Ohio municipal and township roster, 2002-2003. Columbus, Ohio: The Secretary, 2003.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Vernon township, Clinton County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- Brown, Albert J. (1915). History of Clinton County, Ohio: Its People, Industries, and Institutions. B.F. Bowen. p. 313.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.