Vernon Township, Crawford County, Ohio
|Vernon Township, Crawford County, Ohio|
Fields southeast of Tiro
Location of Vernon Township in Crawford County
|• Total||21.48 sq mi (55.64 km2)|
|• Land||21.48 sq mi (55.63 km2)|
|• Water||0.004 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||1,119 ft (341 m)|
|• Density||39/sq mi (15.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085947|
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Auburn Township - north
- Plymouth Township, Richland County - northeast corner
- Sharon Township, Richland County - east
- Jackson Township - southeast
- Jefferson Township - southwest
- Sandusky Township - west
- Cranberry Township - northwest corner
Name and history
Vernon Township was established in 1825.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Vernon township, Crawford County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- History of Crawford County and Ohio. Baskin & Battey. 1881. p. 596.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.