Veronica (search engine)
During its existence, Veronica was a constantly updated database of the names of almost every menu item on thousands of Gopher servers. The Veronica database could be searched from most major Gopher menus. Although the original Veronica database is no longer accessible,[when?] various local Veronica installations and at least one complete rewrite ("Veronica-2") still exist.[further explanation needed][clarification needed]
The search engine was named after the character Veronica Lodge from Archie Comics, an intentional analogy with the naming of the Archie search engine, a search engine for FTP servers. A backronym for Veronica is "Very Easy Rodent-Oriented Net-wide Index to Computer Archives". 
- Archie – a search engine for finding FTP files.
- Jughead – an alternative search engine system for the Gopher protocol.
- WAIS – another client-server text searching system of the same era.
- "Navigating the Internet - Penn Printout, Feb 1993". upenn.edu. Archived from the original on August 22, 2018.
- Museum, Web Design. "Veronica search engine - 1992 | Web Design Museum". www.webdesignmuseum.org.
- Cory Doctorow, at about 12:37 Cory states in his podcast what Veronica stands for.
- local-veronica source
- Search Veronica-2 an actively indexed re-implementation of Veronica. Note: This link uses the Gopher protocol so it may not work in most modern browsers.