|Launched||1 May 1995|
|Owned by||Talpa Network|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
576i (SDTV 16:9)
|Audience share||3.7% (2018, SKO)|
|Formerly called||TV10 Gold (1995-1996)|
Fox 8 (1999-2000)
|Digitenne||Channel 9 (HD)|
|CanalDigitaal||Channel 8 (HD)|
|Joyne||Channel 8 (HD)|
|Ziggo||Channel 8 (HD)|
Channel 932 (SD)
|Caiway||Channel 8 (HD)|
|Kabel Noord||Channel 9 (HD)|
|DELTA||Channel 8 (HD)|
|KPN||Channel 9 (HD)|
|Tele2 Netherlands||Channel 8 (HD)|
|T-Mobile Netherlands||Channel 8 (HD)|
|Ziggo GO||ZiggoGO.tv (Europe only)|
|KPN iTV Online||Watch live (Europe only)|
Veronica is a Dutch commercial television channel currently a part of Talpa TV (Talpa Network). The channel was launched as TV10 Gold on 1 May 1995, then became TV10, Fox, Fox 8 and V8, before becoming Veronica on 20 September 2003. The channel is dedicated to young adults and the male audience.
Veronica is time-sharing with Disney XD: Disney XD broadcasts on daytime and Veronica on night time, the practice that began when Saban International bought TV10 in January 1997, and launched Fox Kids slot on the channel.
- 1 History
- 2 Disney XD
- 3 Programming
- 4 References
- 5 External links
TV10 Gold and TV10 (1995-1998)
In 1995, Dutch media company Arcade launched two television channels in the Netherlands: The Music Factory, a competing music channel for MTV, and TV10 Gold which launched on 1 May 1995. TV10 Gold turns out to be a TV channel with reruns of classic TV series such as Dynasty, Fantasy Island, James Herriot, Hill Street Blues, Are You Being Served?, The Monkees, The Onedin Line, Sanford and Son, Bergerac and Colditz.
In 1996, TV10 Gold became part of Dutch second largest media corporation Wegener Arcade. On 1 January 1996, Arcade merged with publishing company Wegener. In the first quarter of 1996, TV10 Gold changed into just TV10 to modernize its image. British sitcoms such as 'Allo 'Allo! and You Rang, M'Lord? remained part of the programming, along with the American TV series M*A*S*H.
In January 1997, Saban International bought TV10 and partnered with Holland Media Groep. Fox/Saban's Fox Kids was introduced in the Netherlands, time-sharing with TV10. Within the year, the partnership ended and Holland Media Groep's shares of TV10 were bought by Fox.
Fox and Fox 8 (1998-2001)
On 19 December 1998, TV10 was rebranded into Fox. Rupert Murdoch's Fox International Channels wanted to expand in Europe and through its cooperation with Saban it could make its first try-outs in the Netherlands with TV10. Popular TV series like Sex and the City, Dawson's Creek, Malcolm in the Middle and Charmed premiered on the channel. Fox became Fox 8 in September 1999, but it rebranded back to Fox in September 2000. However, Fox couldn't get rid of TV10's image as an old-fashioned rerun channel.
21st Century Fox (the legal successor of the original News Corporation) later launched the second incarnation of Fox on 19 August 2013 through Eredivisie Media & Marketing CV, in which Fox Networks Group Benelux has a 51% share.
SBS, having bought the channel from News Corporation, renamed it into V8 on 1 May 2001 in anticipation of Veronica. Earlier in 2000 Veronica Association announced that it would leave the Holland Media Groep and wanted to start a channel of its own. SBS and Veronica could not get an agreement and it would take more than two years before both parties closed a deal.
The German ProSiebenSat.1 Media took over SBS Broadcasting Group (including its Dutch activities) on 27 June 2007. In 2011, all of SBS's activities in the Netherlands (through SBS Broadcasting B.V.), including the three TV stations (SBS6, Net5 and Veronica), the two TV guides (Veronica Magazine and Totaal TV), production, design and text activities were sold to a joint venture between Sanoma Media Netherlands (67%) and Talpa Media Holding (33%).
On 10 April 2017 Talpa Holding acquired a 67% stake from Sanoma Media Netherlands.
The daytime slot for children broadcast on Veronica began its life as Fox Kids when Saban bought TV10. The slot since rebranded to Jetix and then Disney XD.
Current imported shows
- The Big Bang Theory
- Booze Britain
- Border Security: Australia's Front Line
- Border Security: Canada's Front Line
- Border Security: USA
- Criminal Minds
- Hawaii Five-0
- Pawn Stars
- Storage Wars: New York
- Top Gear
- Two and a Half Men
Imported shows which are currently not programmed or on hiatus
- 10-8: Officers on Duty
- 3rd Rock from the Sun
- According to Jim
- Are You Hot?
- Battlestar Galactica
- Baywatch Nights
- Beverly Hills, 90210
- Brainiac: Science Abuse
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders
- Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior
- Day Break
- The Drew Carey Show
- The Dukes of Hazzard
- Family Ties
- Fear Factor
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- Full House
- George Lopez
- Growing Pains
- Happy Days
- Home Improvement
- I Am Weasel
- The Jamie Kennedy Experiment
- The King of Queens
- Lois and Clark
- Lost (series 1)
- Magnum, P.I.
- Malcolm in the Middle
- Married... with Children
- Medical Investigation
- Melrose Place
- Miami Vice
- NCIS: Los Angeles
- Nip/Tuck (series 1 & 2)
- The O.C.
- Off Centre
- Poker After Dark
- Pussycat Dolls Present
- The Ren & Stimpy Show
- Ricki Lake
- Saved by the Bell
- The Sentinel
- The Shield
- The Simpsons
- South Park
- Spin City
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- Star Trek: Enterprise
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Star Trek: The Original Series
- Star Trek: Voyager
- Stargate Atlantis
- Stargate SG-1
- Starsky and Hutch
- Step by Step
- Storage Wars
- Temptation Island
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
- That '70s Show
- Two Guys and a Girl
- Unhappily Ever After
- Xena: Warrior Princess
- The X-Files
Sports which are currently not programmed or on hiatus
- UEFA Super Cup (broadcasting break)
- "Zenders". SBS Broadcasting. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Nieuwe tv-zenders op kabel kosten Arcade veel geld". de Volkskrant. 26 April 1995.
- "Wegener Arcade wordt 'een soort Time Warner'". de Volkskrant. 6 January 1996.
- Monique de Heer (11 June 1996). "TV 10: Een mens heeft recht op herhalingen". Trouw.
- "Wegener Arcade verkoopt TV 10 aan Saban uit VS". de Volkskrant. 3 January 1997.
- "SBS6, RTL4 en Veronica krijgen concurrent". Radio.nl. 6 November 1998.
- "Fox8". Frankhallie.nl. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Media kort: november 2000". MediaMagazine.nl. 30 November 2000.
- "SBS wil zender Fox 8 samen met Veronica exploiteren". De Telegraaf. 21 November 2000.
- "Fox 8 heet vanaf vandaag 18.00 uur gewoon V8". RadioVisie.eu. 1 May 2001.
- Piet (10 July 2009). "VERONICA STAPT UIT DE HMG, 'De daad van een waanzinnige'?". VeronicaStory.nl.
- "Dinsdag 1 Mei opening Nederlands nieuwste televisiestation V8". 27 April 2001.
- "VOO in jaartallen". Beeldengeluidwiki.nl. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "V8". Frankhallie.nl. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Donald Koeleman (27 June 2007). "ProSiebenSat.1 acquires SBS". Broadband TV News.
- Peter van der Ploeg (20 April 2011). "Sanoma en Talpa nemen SBS over". NRC Handelsblad.
- "Het is nu officieel: Sanoma verkoopt SBS aan Talpa" (in Dutch). NOS. Retrieved 10 April 2017.