Veronica Vasicka is an American businesswoman, electronic music expert, and radio dj. She is the founder of Minimal Wave Records, a record label focused on obscure electronic music from the 1970s and 1980s.
Early life and education
Vasicka was born in the 1970s in New York City to an Uruguayan mother and Czech father. At an early age, she had a passion for music and photography. She studied photography at the Rhode Island School of Design and later co-founded East Village Radio.
Inspired by the music she gathered for her weekly two-hour radio show at East Village Radio, Vasicka launched Minimal Wave Records in 2005. Specializing in obscure electronic gems, she loves old new wave, Italo disco and house music. Her focus is on bringing rare recordings to the public via the record label, as well as her sublabel Cititrax, which features newer bands and classic house reissues.
Vasicka hosts a weekly radio show on East Village Radio and also DJs bimonthly in various clubs around New York City. In 2010, she compiled "The Minimal Wave Tapes Volume One", released on Peanut Butter Wolf's Stones Throw Records.
- Lipinski, Jed (April 11, 2012). "Electronic Music's Own Archaeologist". The New York Times. Retrieved September 26, 2016.
- Nika, Colleen (June 29, 2011). "Minimalism to the Max: Veronica Vasicka". Elle. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- Venus Zine Staff, "The Hottt List 2003", Venus Zine", Issue 18.  Access date: November 30, 2003. Archived July 17, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- David Katz, "Storefront radio streams on after F.C.C. clampdown", The Villager, Volume 74, Number 32.  Access date: December 15, 2004.
- Nik Mercer, "Eye On '09: Mininmal Wave", Anthem Magazine", January 2009. [dead link] Access date: January 16, 2009.