This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Verrill Dana, LLP is a leading New England regional law firm. It has offices in Portland, Maine, Augusta, Maine, Boston, Massachusetts, Westport, Connecticut, Providence, Rhode Island, and Washington D.C.
Verrill Dana was founded in 1862, and has grown into one of the few Maine-based law firms with satellite offices around the Northeastern United States. The firm provides legal services to both businesses and individuals. Its major practice areas include: business law/M&A, health care, litigation and trial, real estate law, labor law and employment law, employee benefits and executive compensation, tax law, private equity, intellectual property and privacy, promotions, energy, timberland, maritime law, environmental law, estate planning and family law, among others.
In 2007, partner John D. Duncan was expelled from Verrill Dana for stealing $300,0000 from clients and the firm itself. In May 2010 the Maine Board of Bar Overseers brought ethics charges against Verrill Dana for neglect of duty in protecting their clients. In 2011, the Maine High Court denied the neglect of duty charges, but ruled that Verrill Dana had violated ethics rules by not closely monitoring Duncan after problems were first noticed in one account.
In August 2013, Verrill Dana announced a merger with the trial boutique firm Friedman Gaythwaite Wolf, LLP. In 2015, Verrill Dana announced its combination with Levett Rockwood, a 19-attorney firm in Westport, recognized for its corporate, private funds, promotions and health care work.
Honors and Distinctions
Verrill Dana, LLP has continued to rank high in publications and directories, and its lawyers have achieved many honors and distinctions, including but not limited to:
- The majority of Verrill Dana, LLP attorneys have been reviewed and rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and 48 of the attorneys have achieved their top "AV" rating
- 38 attorneys were recognized as Leading Lawyers by "Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in 2014
- From 2008 - 2014, "Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business" ranked Verrill Dana, LLP as a Leading Firm in all categories and sub-categories in which the firm was evaluated
- Nine attorneys were named Portland "Lawyers of the Year" by Best Lawyers for 2015 
- Six attorneys were named Portland "Lawyers of the Year" by Best Lawyers for 2014
- 58 attorneys from 45 different practice areas have been recognized in the 2015 edition of "The Best Lawyers in America" 
- 54 attorneys were named as "New England Super Lawyers" in 2013
- Verrill Dana, LLP has regularly been awarded for their pro bono work by the ME State Bar Association
- G. Steven Rowe - served with firm from 2009-2012, and ran for Governor of Maine in the 2010 election. He served as Maine Attorney General from 2001 to 2009 and as a member of the Maine House of Representatives from 1992 to 2000.
- Michael Saxl - a firm lawyer and Maine Speaker of the House from 2001-2002, and Principal of Maine Street Solutions - Verrill Dana's public affairs and consulting affiliate
- Frank M. Coffin - served as a partner and is now recognized for his work by the firm in the form of the Frank M. Coffin Fellowship in Family Law
- Howard H. Dana - served among the Justices of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court from 1993 - 2007
- Robert Hirshon - a current firm attorney and a former President of the American Bar Association.
- Maxwell, Trevor (December 14, 2010). "Verrill Dana's ex-chief partner denies covering up thefts by attorney". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- Cassens Weiss, Debra (December 9, 2011). "Maine High Court Says Verrill Dana Partners Violated Ethics Rules by Failing to Monitor Lawyer". ABA Journal. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- Verrill Dana on The Best Lawyers
- Chambers and Partners Firm Profile
- Verrill Dana's Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Verrill Dana's New England Super Lawyers
- Verrill Dana on Martindale
- Verrill Dana's Official Website
- Verrill Dana's Listing in Business Week
- Verrill Dana on Lawyers.com
- Verrill Dana on Law 360
- Chambers and Partners Firm Profile
- Verrill Dana's Banking & Financial Services Group Blog
- Verrill Dana's Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group Blog
- Verrill Dana's Energy Group Blog
- Verrill Dana's Labor & Employment Group Blog
- Verrill Dana's Maritime Law Blog