Vertigo (Marvel Comics)
Art by Marc Silvestri.
|First appearance||Marvel Fanfare vol. 1 #1 (March 1982)|
|Created by||Chris Claremont
|Species||Savage Land Mutate|
|Team affiliations||Savage Land Mutates
|Abilities||Ability to induce extreme disorientation, nausea and unconsciousness|
Fictional character biography
Later, although not a mutant, she joined the Marauders, a group of mutants working as assassins for the enigmatic geneticist known as Mister Sinister. Sinister wanted his assassins to destroy a large community of mutants, known as the Morlocks, who lived under New York City, as he had deemed them genetically useless. The Marauders did succeed in annihilating a large number of the underground mutants. While the Marauders were accomplishing this, they also clashed with the X-Men, X-Factor, Thor, and Power Pack. With the Marauders, she also attempted to kill Madelyne Pryor.
Sinister later sent Vertigo along with the other Marauders to fight the X-Men in New York City just before the extra-dimensional incursion known as the "Inferno". She was apparently killed in battle with the X-Men. Her alliance with Sinister was short-lived at that time, as she soon rejoined her Savage Land Mutate allies.[volume & issue needed]
Said allies join with the more peaceful of the Land's inhabitants to resist a territorial grab by humanoid saurians. Her powers are central in defeating the enemy army. Various X-Men broker a peace agreement leaving the Mutates to their own devices again.
Vertigo and Sauron encountered the New Avengers in the Savage Land. Vertigo used her powers to render them all unconscious and they were all taken captive briefly, until S.H.E.I.L.D. comes to the rescue.
Vertigo is a member of Mister Sinister's Marauders as well as living in the Savage Land.[volume & issue needed] As a Marauder, she has been killed and cloned various times.[volume & issue needed] It is unclear whether the Vertigo that appears in the Savage Land is another clone or indeed the original Vertigo, though it appears that the original Vertigo never left the Savage Land and does not have any ties with the Marauders.[volume & issue needed]
Messiah Complex and Death
Vertigo later reappears as a member of the reformed Marauders.
During Messiah Complex, she aids the Marauders in search of the new mutant baby. During the Marauder's and the Acolyte's first battle with the X-Men in Alaska, she and Scrambler are taken out by Storm.[volume & issue needed] After coming into a confrontation with Bishop and finally getting her hands on the baby, she joins the others in the final fight between the X-Men and X-Factor and the Marauders and the Acolytes, only to be killed and eaten by Predator X, who was teleported in by the mutant Pixie.
Powers and abilities
Vertigo is an artificially enhanced mutate who possesses the ability to project waves of psionic energy into her environment which affect the nervous systems of other living beings, distorting their physical perceptions and sense of balance. This power induces effects ranging from mild disorientation and vertigo to unconsciousness. Vertigo can focus her power on one or more individuals, or project it outward from herself in all directions, affecting everyone within her range of influence.
Age of X
In other media
- Vertigo also appeared in X-Men voiced by Megan Smith. She was one of the followers of Mister Sinister in the Savage Land. In the series, her powers were amplified after Mister Sinister genetically modified her with Magneto's DNA. Later in the X-Men animated series she joins the Nasty Boys who were working for Mister Sinister too.
- Vertigo first appears in the Wolverine and the X-Men episode "eXcessive Force", voiced by Vanessa Marshall. She appears as a member of Mister Sinister's Marauders. Vertigo and Blockbuster were pursuing Berzerker in the sewers only to run into Cyclops. She escaped to warn Arclight as Cyclops catches up to them. As Cyclops attacks Arclight, Vertigo escapes. Vertigo later appears in the episode "Shades of Grey" where she along with the other Marauders fight the X-Men. She is defeated by Emma Frost.
- Vertigo appears in Deadpool. She is one of Mister Sinister's Marauders. Vertigo attacks Deadpool in the sewers, but he shoots and kills her at the end of the level. Another clone of her appears near the end and attacks Deadpool with the other Marauders.
- Marvel Fanfare #1
- revealed in Uncanny X-Men #211
- Uncanny X-Men #210–213 (Oct. 1986–Jan. 1987)
- X-Factor #10 (Nov. 1986)
- Thor #374 (Dec. 1986)
- Power Pack #27 (Dec. 1986)
- Uncanny X-Men #221 (Sept. 1987)
- Uncanny X-Men #240 (Jan. 1989)
- Uncanny X-Men #241 (Feb. 1989)
- Uncanny X-Men #457-459 (May–July 2005)
- New Avengers Vol 1 #5
- X-Men #200
- New X-Men vol. 2, #44 (Jan. 2008).
- New X-Men vol. 2, #46 (Mar. 2008).
- X-Force vol. 2, #9 (Jan. 2009).
- X-Men Legacy #245