Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago
|Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago|
|Video by U2|
|Released||14 November 2005|
|Recorded||9–10 May 2005 at United Center in Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Label||Island / Interscope|
Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago (sometimes titled Vertigo '05: Live from Chicago) is a concert film by Irish rock band U2, showcasing two concerts recorded at United Center in Chicago, Illinois during band's 2005 Vertigo Tour. The film was released as a DVD later in the year (see 2005 in music) on 14 November by Island Records in most parts of the world and was released in the United States a day later by Interscope Records. The DVD was released as a one-disc standard edition and a deluxe edition with a second disc featuring bonus material and a documentary. It was the first of three concert films from the tour.
The DVD was a worldwide success, topping the Music DVD charts in eleven regions and has received certifications in over seven areas. As of January 2007, it has been the band's best-selling DVD, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and has sold over a quarter of a million copies in the United States.
Background and recording
U2's Vertigo Tour was launched in March 2005 to support the group's latest studio album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, whose lead single, "Vertigo", gave the tour its title. The tour went through a total of five different legs and ended with a final concert in Honolulu on 9 December 2006.
The two concerts featured on Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago were recorded and performed at the United Center in Chicago on 9–10 May 2005. The audio of the concerts was recorded by Robbie Adams and was produced and mixed by Carl Glanville, who had recorded most of the songs on How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, with mastering by Arnie Acosta. The video for the DVD was directed by Hamish Hamilton, who had previously directed Elevation 2001: Live from Boston, with Ned O'Hanlon, who also worked on Elevation 2001, as producer.
The documentary on the second disc was directed by Erica Forstadt with Ned O'Hanlan also acting as producer. The bonus material on the second disc featured surveillance cuts directed by Willie Williams, edited by Mark Reynolds, and produced by Sam Pattinson and an alternative music video of "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" directed by Phil Joanou with production again by Ned O'Hanlon.
The footage used in the DVD was shot live from two nights of the band's four concert stop in Chicago. The second concert was held on Bono's birthday, 10 May, providing a ceremonious backdrop to the concert. Footage of the stage crew celebrating his birthday can be seen on the bonus second disc.
Although the recording was edited and cut between songs, the songs themselves are rarely edited; mistakes made by the band members are left in the DVD. During the bridge of "Elevation", Bono skips a few words when he is forced to clear his throat.
Along with the extra lights used to facilitate filming, Willie Williams and his crew used the United Center's LCD rings that circle the seating area (which generally display scores or advertisements during sporting events) to display additional patterns that correlated with the stage lighting, as well as static during "Zoo Station." Williams discusses this in his online diary on U2's website.
A clip of "Original of the Species" was used in commercials for Apple's first video capable iPods. Furthermore, the icon for "Artists" in the Music App of Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch is a silhouette of Bono singing "Original of the Species" during this concert.
"Party Girl" was performed both nights, on 9 May with Bono and a fan, and the second night with the full band and the same fan. However, neither was included on the DVD. A brief clip of the band rehearsing the song at the 10 May soundcheck can be seen on the documentary found on the second disc. All other songs performed between the two nights were included on the DVD, in the correct order. Audio was recorded for playback in the Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and PCM Stereo formats.
Vertigo 2005 received generally favourable reviews. Cammila Albertson of Allmusic felt that the concert DVD accomplished its purpose, but that the lighting or camera movements in some scenes did not capture the moments as well as they should have. Despite an overall positive review, John Murphy of MusicOMH felt that most fans do not need to purchase the DVD if they have Elevation 2001: Live from Boston or U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle, Ireland. Mike Shiller of PopMatters felt that the concerts were well-filmed but that the DVD was typical. John Cruz of Sputnikmusic felt that the band is one of the best live rock acts, but that too many songs from Achtung Baby were used and it was not a great concert.
- "City of Blinding Lights"
- "The Cry/The Electric Co."
- "An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart"
- "Beautiful Day"
- "New Year's Day"
- "Miracle Drug"
- "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own"
- "Love and Peace or Else"
- "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
- "Bullet the Blue Sky"
- "Running to Stand Still"
- "Pride (In the Name of Love)"
- "Where the Streets Have No Name"
- "Zoo Station"
- "The Fly"
- "Mysterious Ways"
- "All Because of You"
- "Original of the Species"
A second disc was issued in the "deluxe" digipack cardboard case edition of the DVD. It includes the following bonus features:
- Beyond the Tour-Documentary
- Surveillance Cuts: Filmed during the tour with remotely controlled infrared cameras
- "Love and Peace or Else"
- "An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart"
- "Cry/The Electric Co."
- "Running To Stand Still"
- "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own": Alternative Video
- The Edge: Gretsch Country Classic, Fender Telecaster, Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Fender Stratocaster, Gibson Explorer, Yamaha CP70, Rickenbacker 330-12, Line 6 700 Variax acoustic, Epiphone Casino, Gibson J-200
- Adam Clayton: Fender Jazz Bass, Lakland Joe Osborn Signature Series Bass.
- Bono: Gretsch Irish Falcon, harmonica (on "Running to Stand Still")
Charts and certifications
- Cohen, Jonathan (6 January 2007). "From Joshua Trees to Palm Trees". Billboard. 119 (1): 16, 17. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- 2005 Vertigo: Live from Chicago (Back cover). Hamish Hamilton. Island Records. 2005. 987463-7.
- Albertson, Cammila. "Review: Vertigo 05 Live from Chicago – U2". Allmusic. United States: Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- Murphy, John. "U2 – Vertigo Live from Chicago". MusicOMH. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Schiller, Mike (8 December 2005). "U2: Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago (DVD)". PopMatters.
- Cruz, John (17 March 2006). "U2 – Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago". Sputnikmusic.
- "The ARIA Report (Issue 823)" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. Pandora Archive. p. 23. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Austria Top 40 – Musik-DVD Top 10" (ASP). Austrian Charts (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Ultratop 10 Muziek-DVD" (ASP). Ultratop (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Ultratop 10 Musicaux" (ASP). Ultratop (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Musik DVD Top-10: Uge 47 – 2005". Hitlisten (in Danish). IFPI Denmark. Archived from the original (ASP) on 5 October 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Suomen virallinen lista – Musiikki DVD:t 48/2005" [Finland's Official List – Music DVDs 48/2005]. Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland (in Finnish). Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Chartverfolgung / U2 / Longplay". Music Line (in German). Media Control Charts. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Top 20 DVD/Video: Eβδομάδα 18-24/12". IFPI Greece (in Greek). Archived from the original on 28 December 2005.
- "Top 20 DVD, Week Ending 17 November 2005" (JSP). GfK Chart-Track. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Archivio: DVD Musicali: Settimana 46, 2005" [Archive: Music DVDs: Week 46, 2005]. Federation of the Italian Music Industry (in Italian). Archived from the original (PHP) on 12 May 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Artist Ranking DVD". Oricon Style (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "GfK Dutch DVD Music Top 30" (ASP). Dutch Charts (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Top 10 Music DVDs". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Archived from the original (ASP) on 11 June 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Topp 10 DVD Audio: 2005 – Uke 52". VG-lista (in Norwegian). Archived from the original on 3 June 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Top 30 DVD's Musicais – Semana 49 De 2005". Associação Fonográfica Portuguesa (in Portuguese). Archived from the original (PHP) on 2011-10-06. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Top 20 DVD Musical: Semana 46, 2005" (PDF). Productores de Música de España (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Sverigetopplistan". Sverigetopplistan (in Swedish). Archived from the original on December 26, 2015. Search for U2 and click Sök.
- "U2 – Vertigo – Live from Chicago (DVD)" (ASP). Swiss Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Archivum: DVD Top 20". MAHASZ (in Hungarian). Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- "Argentinian video certifications – U2 – Live from Chicago". Argentine Chamber of Phonograms and Videograms Producers.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2006 DVDs". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Brazilian video certifications – U2 – Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Danish video certifications – U2 – Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago". IFPI Denmark. Click on næste to go to page 48 if certification is from the official website.
- "French video certifications – U2 – Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (U2; 'Vertigo')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Irish video certifications – U2 – Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago". Irish Recorded Music Association.
- "Certificaciones" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Type U2 in the box under the ARTISTA column heading and Vertigo in the box under TÍTULO
- "New Zealand video certifications – U2 – Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago". Recorded Music NZ.
- "Polish video certifications – U2 – Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (U2; 'Vertigo - Live from Chicago')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.