|Location||71 km (44 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Cardinia|
Vervale is a bounded rural locality in Victoria, Australia, 71 kilometres (44 mi) south-east of Melbourne's Central Business District, located within the Shire of Cardinia local government area. Vervale recorded a population of 39 at the 2016 Census.
The Post Office opened as Kirwan's in 1909, was renamed Vervale in 1917 and closed in 1967. The Post Office and General Store was taken over by James and Edith McMannis in 1916. It closed in 1967 after the death of Mrs McMannis who died 4 June 1967, Mr McMannis having already predeceased her, passing away on April 9 1959.
The school at Vervale, located on the corner of Thirteen Mile Road and Main Drain Road, opened in 1894 as Koo-Wee-Rup North No. 3201, it changed its name to Bunyip South in 1899 and changed its name again in 1905 to Iona State School. The school closed in December 1993.
The joint population of Vervale and Iona in the 2011 Census, was 363, 196 males and 167 females.
- Shire of Pakenham - Vervale was previously within this former local government area.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Vervale (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 2008-04-11
- "Iona Ward". Shire of Berwick Rate Books. 1916.
- "Kayemac's Cemetery Index: Bunyip Cemetery".
- "Asparagus Culture. - The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) - 8 May 1912". Trove. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Estate of Mr Thomas Roxburgh - To the editor of the Argus. - The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) - 9 Nov 1934". Trove. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Blake, L.J (1973). Vision and Realisation: a centenary history of State Education in Victoria. Victoria - Education Department.
- Nest, Denise (1994). On the edge of the Swamp: a history of the Iona Primary School, No. 3201, 1894 - 1994. Iona Primary School Back-to Committee. ISBN 0646169173.
- "Australian Burean of Statistics - Census Data".
|This article about a place in Melbourne is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|