|First issue||March 2006|
Vervegirl is a Canadian teen magazine published by Youth Culture, based in Toronto, for young women aged 13–24. The magazine engages young women through lifestyle, global causes, fashion, entertainment, career, health and beauty.
Published 5 times per year, Vervegirl can be found in over 1,100 high schools in 600 markets. Starting in 2005, they began releasing special issues exclusively through Wal-Mart Canada. Articles can also be found at its website, which serves as a social networking site for its readers.
The Toronto-based magazine launched Vervegirl Toronto, a digest-sized, city-specific publication marketed to a previously-untapped teen audience in March 2006. On March 5, 2007, the magazine announced a tour of eight Canadian high schools with Keshia Chanté, designed as a way to "connect with its readers using music" and provide "a platform for discussion on the importance of music programs in the high school curriculum." Then in 2011, they teamed with Winners to host a styling contest created by Ogilvy and featuring Danny Fernandes and Mia Martina. Through an app on Facebook, contestants dressed up celebrity avatars to win a chance to style the celebrity in real life.
Those mentioned or featured in the magazine include Tyler Medeiros, Jaclyn Kenyon, Keshia Chanté, and Elise Estrada. Nina Dobrev and Lauren Collins of Degrassi: The Next Generation fame were featured in a special issue in 2007. In September 2009, the magazine featured Tracy Spiridakos to promote tween comedy series Majority Rules for Canadian network Teletoon.
Sale to Family Communications Inc. and creation of shift2
Vervegirl magazine was sold to Family Communications Inc. as of March 2014. Youthculture Inc. (the previous publisher) continued on in the youth field creating "shift2" a digital agency working with brands on YouTube.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Kohl, Jesse. "Vervegirl expands reach and ad opps." Media in Canada 8 August, 2008.
- "Vervegirl Toronto to launch in June." Media in Canada" 7 March 2006.
- "Rogers and Vervegirl magazine present high school tour with Canadian singing sensation Keshia Chanté." Canada Newswire 5 March 2007.
- Behar, Rose. "Winners and Vervegirl dress the stars." Media in Canada 4 August 2011.
- Warner, Tyrone. "Behind the scenes with Degrassi girls' 'Vervegirl' cover shoot." Canada AM 30 July 2007.
- "Teletoon bows brand integration first." Media in Canada 28 August 2009.