|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Source: Statistics Norway.|
The Vest-Telemark traditional district of Norway comprises the upper and western areas of the county of Telemark. The region consists of six municipalities: Fyresdal, Tokke, Vinje, Nissedal, Kviteseid and Seljord. Vest-Telemark belongs to the traditional region Upper Telemark.
The region is known for its folk traditions within music, clothing, handcrafts, food and architecture. The region is also distinctly marked by its dialect of Norwegian. This form of Norwegian is the variety containing most traces of the Old Norse language and grammar.
Vest-Telemark have 14,252 innhabitants 1. April 2009. The area is 7 700 km².
|Crest||Name||Population||Municipality no.||Language form||Webpage|
Famous people from Vest-Telemark
- Aslaug Vaa, author from Rauland in Vinje
- Vidkun Quisling, politician from Fyresdal
- Aasmund Olavsson Vinje, author from Vinje
- Tarjei Vesaas, author from Vinje
- Odd Nordstoga, musician from Vinje
- Sondre Norheim, father of modern skiing ; from Morgedal .
- Ivar Peterson Tveiten, politician from Fyresdal
- Anne Grimdalen, sculptor from Skafså in Tokke
- Eivind Groven, composer from Lårdal in Tokke
- Eivind Hovden, guitarist from Dalen in Tokke
- Dyre Vaa, sculptor from Rauland in Vinje
- Halldis Moren Vesaas, author from Vinje
- Terje Haakonsen, master snowboarder Vinje
- Sven Erik Kristiansen, internationally acclaimed musician Rauland in Vinje