|Established||12 September 1987|
|Public transit access||Voorstraat|
Bus line: 811
Vestingmuseum Oudeschans (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈvɛstɪŋmyˌzeːjɵm ˈʌudəˌsxɑns]; English: Oudeschans Fortification Museum) is a local museum in the village of Oudeschans in the Netherlands. The museum shows the history of the 16th-century fortification of Oudeschans and has a collection of archaeological findings.
The museum opened on 12 September 1987. The building was renovated in 2009. The museum lost its structural municipal subsidy in 2010. The museum staff consists of volunteers only. With 1,195 visitors in 2015, it is one of the lesser-visited museums in Groningen.
The Bellingwolderschans (Sconce of Bellingwolde) was a fortification created in 1593 by William Louis, Count of Nassau-Dillenburg during the Eighty Years' War. It was renamed Oudeschans (Old Sconce) after the construction of the nearby Nieuweschans (New Sconce) in 1628. Oudeschans was used for military purposes until 1814. In the 1980s, the fortification was partially reconstructed. In 1991, the fortification became a state protected village area (Dutch: beschermd dorpsgezicht).
The museum was opened on 12 September 1987.
In 2009, the museum building underwent a major renovation.
On display in the museum are archaeological findings from the 17th and 18th century, such as pottery, household objects, shoes, weapons, and ammunition. There are information panels and a video presentation in Dutch and German.
The museum also has temporary exhibitions.
- (in Dutch) Contact, Stichting Vesting Oudeschans. Retrieved on 7 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) "Museum is vol, maar Ko graaft door", Nieuwsblad van het Noorden, 1995. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- (in Dutch) Bezoekcijfers erfgoedinstellingen Groningen Archived 21 August 2016 at the Wayback Machine, Stichting Erfgoedpartners, 2016. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- (in Dutch) Bushalte Voorstraat, Oudeschans, 9292. Retrieved on 24 December 2014.
- (in Dutch) De vesting, Stichting Vesting Oudeschans. Retrieved on 7 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) Overzicht van aangewezen en in procedure zijnde stads- en dorpsgezichten, Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed, 2013. Retrieved on 8 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) Vestingmuseum Oudeschans weer geopend, Marketing Groningen, 2009. Retrieved on 7 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) Vestingmuseum, Stichting Vesting Oudeschans. Retrieved on 7 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) Intermuseaal Extra Februari 2008, Museumhuis Groningen, 2008. Retrieved on 3 September 2013.
- (in Dutch) Bezoekcijfers musea aangesloten bij Museumhuis Groningen, Museumhuis Groningen. Retrieved on 7 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) Stichting Vesting Oudeschans, Stichting Vesting Oudeschans. Retrieved on 11 June 2014.
- "Vesting krijgt toch weer geld", Dagblad van het Noorden, 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- (in Dutch) Leden Museumhuis, Museumhuis Groningen. Retrieved on 7 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) Over ons Museumhuis Groningen. Retrieved on 7 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vestingmuseum Oudeschans.|
- (in Dutch) Vestingmuseum Oudeschans