|Products||Clothing, shoes, accessories|
|Owner||Vetements Group AG|
VETEMENTS (from vêtements [vɛtmɑ͂], French for "clothing") was started in 2014 as a French clothing and footwear "design collective" and brand founded by Georgian fashion designer Demna Gvasalia and CEO Guram Gvasalia in 2014. The brand was designed by a collective of their friends who had previous experience at Maison Margiela, Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga, Céline, and Antwerp’s Royal Academy of Arts. Championing a more 'pragmatic' approach to fashion, Demna reflects the 'down to earth nature' that he says is reflected in what today's youth wear. Operating from a philosophical and methodological approach to his designs, Demna propelled Vetements to world class status in just three short seasons. Vogue has stated: "Part of the genius of Demna Gvasalia’s Vetements is its appropriation and refinement of mass culture into tongue-in-cheek garments." Luxury vendors who stock the collection include SSENSE, Net-A-Porter, Browns Fashion, and Matchesfashion.
VETEMENTS first collection was presented a gallery during the AW14-15 season in Paris, France.
The second collection VETEMENTS' first show, was for the SS15 season, and was presented at Espace Pierre Cardin in Paris, France.
The third collection, AW15-16 was shown again during Paris Fashion Week, was shown at Le Dépot, a sex club in Paris. The SS16 show took place on October 1, 2015 at Le Président Restaurant in the Belleville neighborhood in Paris, France.
For the SS17 season, VETEMENTS were invited to show on the first evening of Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week, during store hours at the famous french department store, Galeries Lafayette underneath its' famous cupola. VETEMENTS worked with 17 different heritage brands including Brioni and Juicy Couture to present a runway full of varying collaborations each representing the mastery of their individual markets.
The SS18 collection was launched with a "NO SHOW" event, consisting of a concert and exhibit of photographs taken by Demna Gvasalia of the new collection as shoot around Zurich, Switzerland, where the had recently moved its' headquarters.
For their AW18-19 collection, VETEMENTS returned to the runway, this time off the official calendar, showing outside of Paris in the antique markets of Marché Paul Bert Serpette in Saint-Ouen, France.
The brand's SS19 collection, its 10th collection, reflected deeply on the Gvasalia's upbringing in and eventual departure from war-torn Georgia. It took place in Paris on July 1st, 2018 underneath the Boulevard Périphérique. Many street cast models were flown in from Georgia for the show.
VETEMENTS is well known for their collaborations with a variety fashion and specialty brands.
The SS17 show notably showcased 17 collaborations with varied heritage brands: Alpha Industries, Brioni, Canada Goose, Carhartt Work in Progress, CDG SHIRT, Champion, Church's, Dr. Martens, Eastpak, Hanes, Juicy Couture, Levi's, Lucchese, Mackintosh, Manolo Blahnik, Reebok and Schott NYC.
From collaborations with Reebok in 2017, they presented a new shoe dubbed the "Reebok Pump Genetically Modified."  Vetements and Reebok also collaborated on the VETEMENTS x Reebok high top sock runners. VETEMENTS have also worked with DHL, since 2016, and Levi's. Culminating in a special DHL x VETEMENTS pop up of the collection being sold out of DHL delivery trucks in Causway Bay, Hong Kong, in 2017. VETEMENTS also collaborated with IKEA that ended up not being put into production.
For their SS19 Show, VETEMENTS newly collaborated with eyewear brand OAKLEY.
In 2017 the brand received criticism for selling jewellery that doubles as drug paraphernalia.
- What Is Vetements and Why Is Everyone Freaking Out? Nicola Fumo, racked.com March 2, 2016
- “I Didn’t Want to Be the Guy Just Making Hoodies and Ripped Jeans”: Demna Gvasalia on Being a Fashion Disruptor Brooke Bobb, Vogue, October 12, 2017
- Vetements at SSENSE
- "Balenciaga's New Name: What To Know". Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- Vetememes Is the Internet’s Answer to Vetements Steff Yotka, Vogue, March 24, 2016
- Confession: I Don’t Get Vetements Leandra Medine, March 30, 2016
- "Vetements, une griffe taillée pour le succès". Madame Figaro (in French). Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Dazed (2015-10-02). "The label that brought Kanye to a tacky Chinese restaurant". Dazed. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "A Once-Obscure Designer Is Now the Talk of Paris". Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Cartner-Morley, Jess (2016-03-03). "Vetements show is cathedral of raw energy". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Vetements, le label underground qui bouscule l'industrie de la mode". Madame Figaro (in French). Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Dazed (2017-01-25). "Demna Gvasalia on turning stereotypes into Vetements". Dazed. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Porter, Charlie. "How does Vetements next revolutionise fashion? With a No Show". Financial Times. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "The Top 10 Moments from the Men's Shows". Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Mower, Sarah. "Vetements Spring 2019 Menswear Fashion Show". Vogue. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Why These Dirty Reebok Sneakers Will Cost You $1,000 GQ, Jake Woolf 10/12/2017
- Haute Couture Spring 2017 Street Style: Demna Gvasalia and Maud Escudie
- Vetements’ CEO Reveals the Brand Made an Unreleased IKEA Collab Before Everyone Else Alec Leach, Highsnobiety,September 29, 2017
- Vetements is being slammed for selling a ‘cocaine spoon’ necklace Ellen Scott, Metro.co.uk 22 September 2017
|This French corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This fashion-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|