Veterans for Medical Cannabis Access
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2014)|
|Founder||Martin H. Chilcutt,|
|Focus||Protecting basic human right to access required medicine|
Veterans for Medical Cannabis Access (VMCA), originally founded as Veterans for Medical Marijuana Access (VMMA) reflecting the pejorative word "marijuana", is an Elliston, Virginia-based non-profit service organization designed to assist veterans who wish to be able to use marijuana for medical purposes with a doctor's recommendation. VMCA works towards the freedom for Veterans to discuss the medical use of marijuana with their doctors without the risk of reprisal.
VMCA was the first veteran service organization designed to assist veterans with medical access to cannabis. The organization seeks to make sure that the United States federal government allows veterans access to medicines their doctor prescribes or recommends.
- Michael Krawitz, Executive Director
Al Byrne-Lcdr, SC, USN (ret) Founding Director of VMCA. Son of cancer patient, Howardsville, VA
Dr. Phillip Leveque, DO, Ph.D World War II U.S. Marine Infantryman Forensic Toxicologist and Pharmacologist
Mary Lynn Mathre, RN, MSN, CARN Substance Abuse Consultant, Howardsville, VA
Dr. Robert Melamede, Ph.D Associate Professor and Biology Chairman (ret) Biology Department, University of Colorado
Dr. David Ostrow, MD, Ph.D., FAPA Director, Ostrow & Associates
Dr. Tom O'Connell, M.D. Researcher
Perry Parks, CSP CW4 United States Army Retired
Msgt Thomas Vance United States Air Force Retired
John Targowski, Attorney Law Office of John Targowski, P.C.
- Drug Policy Alliance
- Legality of cannabis
- Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act
- Marijuana Policy Project
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- Students for Sensible Drug Policy
- Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP)
- November Coalition
- Americans for Safe Access
- Zibton, Jenna (July 30, 2012). "Preventing military, veteran suicides: What is Virginia doing?". WSLS TV Channel 10 (WSLS.com). Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Kime, Patricia (July 18, 2012). "White House responds to VMCA petition.". Military Times (USA Today). Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Killian, Chris (March 8, 2008). "Navy veteran, 74, uses medical marijuana to relieve pain". Kalamazoo Gazette (mlive.com). Retrieved 2008-04-28.
- Crawford, Bryce (July 29, 2010). "MMJ believers embrace Veterans Affairs' new stance". Colorado Springs Independent (csindy.com). Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Frosch, Dan (July 23, 2010). "V.A. Easing Rules for Users of Medical Marijuana". New York Times (nytimes.com). Retrieved 2010-07-23.