Overview of Viñales
Viñales municipality (red) within
Pinar del Río Province (yellow) and Cuba
|Province||Pinar del Río|
|• Total||704 km2 (272 sq mi)|
|Elevation||135 m (443 ft)|
|• Density||38.5/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
The town consists mostly of one-story wooden houses with porches.
The municipality is dominated by low mountain ranges of the Cordillera de Guaniguanico such as Sierra de los Órganos. Typical outcrops known as mogotes complete the karstic character of the landscape.
The first settlement in Viñales is documented in 1871, in the form of a ranch belonging to Don Andrés Hernández Ramos.
The town was established in 1878 as a typical community, with church, school, hospital and recreation park.
Tourism centered on the Viñales Valley is developing, the area being protected by constitution since February 1976, and declared a national monument in October 1978. The Viñales Valley has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since November 1999, for the outstanding karst landscape and traditional agriculture as well as vernacular architecture, crafts and music.
Attractions in Viñales include the Viñales Municipal Museum, Casa de Caridad Botanical Gardens, Museo Paleontológico, Palenque (a Maroon village) and the nearby caves (Cueva del Indio, Cueva de José Miguel, Cueva de Santo Tomás) in Valle de Viñales National Park, which were refuges for runaway slaves. There is also a cave that doubles as a nightclub.
Casas particulares (private residences that have been tailored and licensed to operate as bed and breakfasts) offer accommodations to visitors year-round. There are also three hotels located a few kilometers outside of town, rated three stars: La Ermita, Los Jazmines, and Rancho Horizontes San Vicente. The campismo Dos Hermanas comprises 54 cabins (available to tourists), a swimming pool and restaurante..
- Statoids (July 2003). "Municipios of Cuba". Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Atenas.cu (2004). "2004 Population trends, by Province and Municipality" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
- Cuba Junky. Vinales
- Guerrillero:Pinar del Río. "El Templo de los Cimarrones" (Spanish)
- Vinales.cu History
- UNESCO World Heritage - Vinales Valley
- "Valle de Viñales: Monumento Natural de Cuba"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Viñales.|
- Viñales Municipality (Spanish)
- "Valle Son Music" A collection of son and salsa groups performing in Viñales
- "Viñales Tours & Accommodation" Tourist information on the town of Viñales
- "Viñales, Land to Dream" Viñales Page Information
- Viñales information about Casas Particulares Viñales Page about tourism Information and Casas Particulares