Hart while attending Stony Brook University, sitting on top of a finished project
1988 (age 27–28)
|Occupation||Recreational Mathemusician , Educator, Inventor|
|Known for||Mathematical/musical YouTube videos|
Hart is the child of mathematical sculptor George W. Hart, and was educated at Stony Brook University. As well as producing mathematical videos, Hart has co-authored several research papers on computational geometry and the mathematics of paper folding.
Hart was previously supported by Khan Academy making videos for the educational site as their "Resident Mathemusician". Currently, Hart works in a research group called eleVR creating virtual reality videos, and in the past has also collaborated on educational computer games. One of these projects is Hypernom, a game where the player has to eat part of 4 dimensional polytopes which are Stereographically projected into 3D and viewed using a virtual reality headset.
- "Khan Academy's mathemusician Vi Hart brings dull lessons to life". Wired. Retrieved January 27, 2016.
- "Mathematical artist: Why hyperbolic space is awesome". New Scientist. Retrieved January 27, 2016.
- "FAQ". Vi Hart.com. Retrieved December 12, 2014.
- Chang, Kenneth (January 17, 2011), "Bending and Stretching Classroom Lessons to Make Math Inspire", The New York Times.
- Bell, Melissa (December 17, 2010), "Making math magic: Vi Hart doodles her lessons", The Washington Post.
- Krulwich, Robert (December 16, 2010), I Hate Math! (Not After This, You Won't), NPR
- Vi Hart at DBLP Bibliography Server. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- "About Us". eleVR. Retrieved December 12, 2014.
- Bhatia, Aatish (December 8, 2014). "Empirical Zeal How Small Biases Lead to a Divided World: An Interactive Exploration of Racial Segregation". Wired.
- Case, Nicky; Hart, Vi. "Parable of the Polygons". Retrieved December 12, 2014.
- Lawson-Perfect, Christian (July 31, 2015). "Hypernom". The Aperiodical. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- vihartvihart (April 30, 2014). "Fun fact: I consider myself gender agnostic. "Person," not "Woman," please. I respect your religion, but don't like having it pushed on me." (Tweet).
- Altman, Sam (May 11, 2016). "HARC". Y Combinator Blog. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Vihart (2016-06-20), Feeling sad about tragedy, retrieved 2016-07-13
- Doctorow, Cory (2016-07-13). "Dallas police shootings and #blacklivesmatter". Boing Boing. Retrieved 2016-07-13.