|The Future of Entertainment|
|Products||Augmented reality/ Virtual reality|
Viacom NEXT was American media conglomerate Viacom's production studio focused on building immersive experiences, interactive music videos, narrative worlds, and video games. Based in New York, the studio employed developers and specialists with expertise in 3D modeling and animation, storytelling, and experience design.
Founded in 2015, they first collaborated with the New York City Media Lab (NYCML) on a VR fellowship exploring storytelling mechanisms afforded by virtual reality.
In 2016, Viacom NEXT released their first brand project, "Open Your Eyes,” a free virtual reality art show for MTV's Elect This campaign. The project was met with great reception.
Some of the artists, brands, creators, and universities Viacom NEXT has collaborated with include Billy Corgan, Cabbibo, Daniel Bittman, Hot Sugar, Isobar, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Max Frost, MTV, Paramount Home Media, and Tyler Hurd.
Viacom NEXT was dissolved in February 2018 after a company-wide restructuring.
The company’s Virtual Reality music video "Chocolate" was selected to premiere in the New Frontier showcase at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah and recognized by The Verge as a Best Interactive Virtual Reality runner-up.
|Transformers: Cade's Junkyard||2017||Paramount Home Media Distribution||AR|
|Aeronaut||2017||Billy Corgan, Isobar||VR|
|VMA Facebook Camera Effects||2017||MTV||AR|
|The Melody of Dust||2017||Hot Sugar||VR|
|Open Your Eyes||2016||MTV||VR|
- Lab, NYC Media (2016-06-16). "Introducing the summer 2016 Viacom VR Fellows". NYC Media Lab. Retrieved 2018-02-10.
- Weiss, Suzannah. "This VR Art Brings This Election's Issues To Life". Bustle. Retrieved 2018-02-10.
- "Watch Billy Corgan's Trippy Cosmic Voyage in 'Aeronaut' Video".
- "'The Melody of Dust': Inside Viacom's Gamechanging New VR Experience".
- "MTV Is Using Snapchat, Holograms and Augmented Reality to Drive Tune-Ins for the VMAs".
- Roettgers, Janko (13 March 2017). "Viacom's Take on Virtual Reality: Room-Scale, Original and Fun".
- Roettgers, Janko (2018-02-07). "Viacom Shuts Down Viacom Next VR Studio". Variety. Retrieved 2018-02-10.
- "Viacom Just Premiered the Trippiest Virtual Reality Music Video Ever at the Sundance Film Festival". 20 January 2017.
- "SXSW Film Festival World Premiere of The Melody of Dust from Viacom NEXT and Hot Sugar Journeys Beyond the Music VR Video - Viacom Newsroom". news.viacom.com.
- "The best virtual reality from the 2017 Sundance Film Festival".