Vianen town centre
Location in Utrecht
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Wim Groeneweg (CDA)|
|• Total||42.39 km2 (16.37 sq mi)|
|• Land||39.45 km2 (15.23 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.94 km2 (1.14 sq mi)|
|Elevation||4 m (13 ft)|
|Population (August 2017)|
|• Density||504/km2 (1,310/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Vianen (Dutch pronunciation: [viˈjaːnə(n)]) is a municipality and a city in the central Netherlands, in the province of Utrecht. It is the only municipality in Utrecht located south of the Lek River. Before 2002 it was part of the province of South Holland. Vianen is bordered by two major motorways leading to Utrecht: the A2 (Amsterdam-Maastricht) on its west, and the A27 (Breda-Almere) just east of the town. Both roads can be notoriously congested near Vianen during peak commute hours.
(Population as of February, 2006)
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Vianen, June 2015
The city of Vianen
Vianen received city rights in 1337. Vianen thrived under the counts of Brederode, who acquired its lordship through marriage early in the 15th century. It formed a self-proclaimed sovereign seignory till 1795, including Vianen, Lexmond, Hei- en Boeicop and Meerkerk. During the Middle Ages, as a "free city," Vianen could be a haven for felons and escaped serfs. Of the three castles built during the town's history, Castle Batestein was said to be one of the most beautiful in the Netherlands. Its only remnants are a 17th-century brick gate and water-pump. Remnants of the old city wall are visible girdling parts of the old downtown.
- Frans van Brederode (1465 - 1490), military leader
- Marian van de Wal (born 1970), singer
- Jeannette Lewin (born 1972), hockey player
- Joaquín Martínez (1930 - 2012), Mexican-born film and television actor, lived in Everdingen
- Marie Adrienne Françoise de Noailles, Marquise de La Fayette, married to Gilbert du Motier marquis de Lafayette, lived in Vianen in 1799, when her husband French General Lafayette had been released from imprisonment in Prussia but was not allowed to return to France.
- "Burgemeester W.G. (Wim) Groeneweg" [Mayor W.G. (Wim) Groeneweg] (in Dutch). Gemeente Vianen. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 4132AS". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Barnes, Mike. "Joaquin Martinez, a Warrior in Film and TV Westerns, Dies at 81". The Hollywood Reporter. 2012-01-26. Retrieved 2011-01-28.