Ogden's Cigarette card featuring Vic Armbruster
12 July 1902|
Meerschaum Vale, New South Wales, Australia
Louis Victor Armbruster (born 12 July 1902 – died 1984) was an Australian rugby league footballer for New South Wales, Queensland and Australia. He is considered one of the nation's finest footballers of the 20th century. He primarily played in the Second-row.
Armbruster's grade career commenced in the country at Mullumbimby, New South Wales from where he gained state selection for New South Wales in 1922. He played in the historic match of 1922 which saw Queensland beat New South Wales for the first time since 1908. Many of the victorious Queenslanders that day would later be Armbruster's state and national team-mates.
Along with his future Kangaroo captain Tom Gorman and state/national teammate Herb Steinohrt, Armbruster was a member of the 1924-25 world class Toowoomba side that beat all-comers including Sydney premiers Souths, Brisbane, Ipswich and representative sides including New South Wales, Victoria, Great Britain and New Zealand.
While playing with Toowoomba, Armbruster first gained national selection appearing in the 2nd and 3rd Tests of the 1924 domestic Ashes series against Great Britain.
He played with the Grammars club in Brisbane and then Valleys and was a regular representative in the Queensland state side making 35 appearances up till 1931. He was selected for the 1929–30 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain and played in three Tests and sixteen minor representative tour games.
- "Mullumbimby Giants Club Profile". Mullumbimby Giants. Retrieved 29 September 2009.
- Century's Top 100 Players Archived 25 February 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Pollard, Jack (1965). Gregory's Guide to Rugby League. Australia: Grenville Publishing.
- Peter Cassidy. "Controversy reigns as NRL releases top 100 players". Macquarie National News. Archived from the original on 25 February 2008. Retrieved 23 February 2008.
- "Centenary of Rugby League - The Players". NRL/ARL. Archived from the original on 26 February 2008. Retrieved 23 February 2008.
- "BRL Team of the Century named". sportingpulse.com. Bundaberg Rugby League Ltd. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- Leslie, Cameron (21 August 2008). "Rugby League Team of the Century named". The Chronicle. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- Queensland Representatives, qrl.com.au; accessed 12 July 2017.