Vic Fuentes performing in 2013
|Birth name||Victor Vincent Fuentes|
|Born||February 10, 1983|
|Origin||San Diego, California|
|Genres||Post-hardcore, progressive rock, experimental rock|
|Labels||Equal Vision, Fearless|
|Associated acts||Pierce the Veil
Isles & Glaciers
Victor Vincent "Vic" Fuentes (born February 10, 1983 in San Diego, California) is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist of post-hardcore band Pierce the Veil. He also plays the keyboard on some Pierce The Veil records. He plays in the band along with his brother Mike Fuentes. Both Fuentes' brothers attended Mission Bay High School.
Vic Fuentes was born on February 10, 1983 in San Diego, California to Vivian K. Fuentes and Victor Gamboa Fuentes a former Mexican jazz musician who works as a painter nowadays. He has a younger brother, Mike Fuentes, and has two half-brothers and one half-sister. He is related to Nick Martin, who is currently playing in Sleeping with Sirens.
At the age of 7 Vic learned playing guitar. After getting his exam at the Mission Bay High School, he attended San Diego State University where he used to study graphic design. He quit studying after his former band Before Today got signed to Equal Vision Records. He wrote the song A Match Into Water on their third album Collide with the Sky for his former girlfriend suffering from breast cancer. He is in a relationship with Danielle Perry who was cover model for the Black Market album released by Rise Against.
In an interview with German music magazine FUZE he stated struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts. He is friend with Curtis Peoples who was co-writer of gold-single King for a Day. They played together in a band called 3 Simple Words while attending highschool.
During his time at Mission Bay High School Fuentes played in a local punk band called 3 Simple Words alongside Curtis Peoples who later worked together with Pierce the Veil on some songs, including King for a Day. In 1998 he formed a band called Early Times with his younger brother Mike. After releasing three EPs the band was forced to rename due to copyright violation. The group changed their name into Before Today. After signing a recording contract with Equal Vision Records the band released their only album A Celebration of an Ending in 2004 before breaking up two years later.
In 2007 the duo intigrated bassist Jaime Preciado and guitarist Tony Perry and released their debut record A Flair for the Dramatic with the new formed band called Pierce the Veil. With this band Fuentes released two more albums, Selfish Machines and Collide with the Sky. He toured in North America, South America, Australia, Asia and Europe several times, played at big music festivals such as Rock am Ring and Rock im Park, Reading and Leeds, Warped Tour, Soundwave Festival and Slam Dunk Festival. On concert tours Fuentes shared stage with acts like Bring Me the Horizon, All Time Low, Sleeping with Sirens, Tonight Alive and A Day to Remember.
Alongside his brother he was involved in short-living super group Isles & Glaciers with other musicians like Jonny Craig, Craig Owens, Brian Southall, Nick Martin and Matt Goddard. After playing only one show at SXSW 2009 and releasing only one EP (The Hearts of Lonely People) in 2010 the band broke up. Fuentes also was a session guitarist for a short North American tour with the short-living pop punk band Cinematic Sunrise.
Fuentes has written songs with the likes of Tom Denny, Curtis Peoples and Dave Yaden during songwriting process. He doesn't have a concept for writing his songs but gains inspiration by familiar situations, personal experiences in relationships, on touring and friends.
There are also songs he wrote inspired by fans of the band such as Bulls in the Bronx, on the third Collide with the Sky. It is written for Olivia Penpraze who committed suicide in April 2012. Friends of her wrote a letter to the band stating what happened. Penpraze was a fan of Pierce the Veil.
Even the song I Don't Care If You Are Contagious taken of the second album Selfish Machines was a fan-inspired song. The musicians told in an interview with music magazine Alternative Press that a young girl contacted the band, writing that her boyfriend died in a car accident. According to the letter she wrote to the band they met first time during a Pierce the Veil concert. Fuentes wrote this song as a present for her. Million Dollar Houses (The Painter) from the same record is dedicated to his parents. The song is about their parents who never separated even in a time when the family had almost nothing to live.
Lot of fans thanked the band for the songs they wrote. They certify their lyrics would a have a ″healing effect″. Some listeners prevented self-harm while listening to his lyrics.
Vic Fuentes is well known for his high vocal range which was compared to Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria by Elmar Salmutter writing for the German Metal Hammer magazine. While recording Vic Fuentes is playing as clean vocalist as well as screamer, while on concerts bass player Jaime Preciado is singing the screamed parts.
- Alternative Press Music Awards
- A Celebration of an Ending (2004)
Pierce the Veil
Isles & Glaciers
- The Hearts of Lonely People (2010)
- Misdelphia - The City, The Circus EP (2009) - vocals on track "Aviation"
- Chiodos - Illuminaudio (2010) - vocals on track "Love Is a Cat from Hell"
- Appeared in the music video for "All I Want" by A Day to Remember.
- Punk Goes Pop 5 (2012) - guest vocals on track "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Mayday Parade
- Don't Panic (2013) - guest vocals on track "A Love Like War" by All Time Low
- Through Art We Are All Equals (2014) - guest vocals on the track "Starving for Friends" by Slaves
- Keyes - Wandermere EP (2014) - guest vocals on the track "Sad News in a Quiet Room"
- Ryan J. Downey: Alternative Press #296.1 (März 2013): Kings for a Day – Finally, S. 76: „Victor Fuentes Sr. still struggles with his painting business.“
- Ryan J. Downey: Alternative Press #296.1 (März 2013): Kings for a Day – Finally, S. 79: „Vivian was a teen mum in Oklahoma. Debbie (54), David (52) and Frank (50) are all from her first marriage.“
- Aaron: Decoy Music: Interview: Nick Martin (Isles & Glaciers / Underminded / Cinematic Sunrise)
- Stephanie Castor: Guitar World: Exclusive: Pierce the Veil Premiere and Discuss New Song, “Bulls in the Bronx,” and New Album, 'Collide With the Sky'
- Karen Cotton: Wyoming Tribune-Eagle: "Pierce the Veil" sings need and desire, S. 4: „I get my music influence from my dad, […] He was the one who taught me how to play the guitar in the beginning. He raised me on jazz and Spanish rock. That's where I first learned to play the guitar.“
- FUZE Magazine: Pierce the Veil - My Artwork: Würde ich keine Musik machen, wäre ich wohl Grafikdesigner, Seite 17 (Fuze #35, Sep/Aug 2012, Download)
- Dave Good: San Diego Reader: Pierce the Veil's Mexi-Core
- Amanda Ferrante Batista: The Aquarian: An Interview with Pierce The Veil: Colliding With The Sky
- Ryan J. Downey: Alternative Press (Ausgabe 321.2): Cabin Fever Dream, S. 74: „In addition to his clothes,, toiletries, bourbon, throat spray, Tabasco, sketchbooks, candles and musical gear he had with him, his vinyl copy of Rise Against's The Black Market was something of a prized possession. See, that's his girlfriend, Danielle Perry, on the cover, face smeared with black paint.“
- Ryan J. Downey: Alternative Press (Ausgabe 321.2): Cabin Fever Dream, S. 76: „That friend, Curtis Peoples, is one of the main songwriters credited with the smash single [King For A Day] from Collide with the Sky, and has been Vic's friend since kindergarten. […] When they were in high school, Peoples invited Vic to join his band, 3 Simple Words.“
- Allmusic: BEFORE TODAY | A CELEBRATION OF AN ENDING | ALBUM
- San Diego Reader: Pierce the Veil
- Emily: Blunt Magazine: Pierce the Veil: Interview
- Alternative Press: AP Exclusive: Cinematic Sunrise tour diary (part one)
- Annie Zaleski: Alternative Press: Interview: Pierce The Veil’s Vic Fuentes on recording their “eclectic” third album
- Ridge Briel: Mind Equals Blown: Interview: Pierce the Veil
- Ross Coulthart: Yahoo News: When nobody listens
- Pierce the Veil dedicated one song on Collide with the Sky to the young Australia but it isn't sure definitively whether it is Bulls in the Bronx or Hold On Till May. It is speculated on several social networks which song it could be. According to an interview with Artisan News on Youtube it could be the song Bulls in the Bronx.
- Alternative Press: Track-By-Track: Pierce The Veil
- Elmar Salmutter: Metal Hammer #2/2008: page 96, to be seen here (Rolling Stone Archive)
- Alternative Press: Announcing the first AP Music Awards! Get all the details and vote for your favorite artists!
- Alternative Press: Here are all the 2015 APMAs nominees!