This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Vic Fuentes performing in 2013
|Birth name||Victor Vincent Fuentes|
|Born||February 10, 1983|
|Origin||San Diego, California, U.S.|
Victor Vincent "Vic" Fuentes (born February 10, 1983, in San Diego, California) is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist of the rock band Pierce the Veil. He also plays the keyboard on some Pierce The Veil records. He plays in the band along with his brother Mike Fuentes. Both brothers attended Mission Bay High School.
Vic Fuentes was born on February 10, 1983, in San Diego, California to Vivian K. Fuentes and Victor Gamboa Fuentes, a former Mexican jazz musician who now works as a painter. He has a younger brother, Mike Fuentes, two half-brothers, and one half-sister. He is related to Nick Martin, who currently plays in Sleeping with Sirens.
At age 7, Fuentes learned to play guitar. After attending Mission Bay High School, he attended San Diego State University, where he studied graphic design. He quit studying after his former band Before Today was signed to Equal Vision Records.
During his time at Mission Bay High School Fuentes played in a local punk band called 3 Simple Words alongside Curtis Peoples, who later worked together with Pierce the Veil on some songs, including "King for a Day".
In 1998 he formed a band called Early Times with his younger brother Mike. After releasing three EPs the band was forced to rename due to copyright violation. The group changed their name to "Before Today". After signing a recording contract with Equal Vision Records the band released their only album, A Celebration of an Ending, in 2004 before breaking up two years later.
In 2007 the duo released their debut record, A Flair for the Dramatic, with the newformed band called Pierce the Veil. With this band Fuentes released three more albums, Selfish Machines, Collide with the Sky, and Misadventures after integrating bassist Jaime Preciado and guitarist, Tony Perry. He toured in North America, South America, Australia, Asia and Europe several times, played at big music festivals such as Rock am Ring and Rock im Park, Reading and Leeds, Warped Tour, Soundwave Festival and Slam Dunk Festival. On concert tours Fuentes shared stage with acts including Bring Me the Horizon, All Time Low, Sleeping with Sirens, Tonight Alive and A Day to Remember.
Alongside his brother, he was involved in the short-lived supergroup Isles & Glaciers with musicians including Jonny Craig, Craig Owens, Brian Southall, Nick Martin and Matt Goddard. After playing only one show at SXSW 2009 and releasing only one EP (The Hearts of Lonely People) in 2010, the band broke up.
Fuentes has written songs with the likes of Tom Denney, Curtis Peoples and Dave Yaden. He doesn't have a concept for writing his songs but gains inspiration from familiar situations, personal experiences in relationships, touring and friends.
—Vic Fuentes in an interview
—Vic Fuentes in an interview with Mind Equals Blown
He has written songs inspired by fans, such as "Bulls in the Bronx", on the album Collide with the Sky. This was written for Olivia Penpraze, who committed suicide in April 2012. Her friends wrote a letter to the band about what had happened. Penpraze had been a fan of Pierce the Veil. The band dedicated one song on Collide with the Sky to the young Australian, but it isn't sure definitively whether it is "Bulls in the Bronx" or "Hold On Till May".
"I Don't Care If You Are Contagious", from the second album, Selfish Machines, was also a fan-inspired song. The musicians said in an interview with music magazine Alternative Press that a young girl had contacted the band, writing that her boyfriend had died in a car accident, and that they had met for the first time during a Pierce the Veil concert. Fuentes wrote this song as a present for her.
"Million Dollar Houses (The Painter)" from the same record is dedicated to his parents. The song is about their parents, who never separated even in a time when the family had almost nothing.
Many fans thanked the band for the songs they wrote. They certify their lyrics would have a "healing effect". Some listeners prevented self-harm while listening to his lyrics.
- Alternative Press Music Awards
- A Celebration of an Ending (2004)
Pierce the Veil
- A Flair for the Dramatic (2007)
- Selfish Machines (2010)
- Collide with the Sky (2012)
- Misadventures (2016)
Isles & Glaciers
- The Hearts of Lonely People (2010)
|2007||"Higher Than Kites" (feat. Vic Fuentes)||Demo||Lower Definition|
|2009||"Aviation" (feat. Vic Fuentes)||The City, the Circus EP||Misdelphia|
|2010||"Love Is a Cat from Hell" (feat. Vic Fuentes)||Illuminaudio||Chiodos|
|2012||"Somebody That I Used to Know (Gotye Cover)" (feat. Vic Fuentes)||Punk Goes Pop 5||Mayday Parade|
|2013||"A Love Like War" (feat. Vic Fuentes)||Don't Panic||All Time Low|
|2014||"Starving for Friends" (feat. Vic Fuentes)||Through Art We Are All Equals||Slaves|
|"Sad News in a Quiet Room" (feat. Vic Fuentes)||Wandermere EP||Keyes|
- Ryan J. Downey: Alternative Press #296.1 (März 2013): Kings for a Day – Finally, S. 76: "Victor Fuentes Sr. still struggles with his painting business."
- Ryan J. Downey: Alternative Press #296.1 (März 2013): Kings for a Day – Finally, S. 79: "Vivian was a teen mum in Oklahoma. Debbie (54), David (52) and Frank (50) are all from her first marriage."
- Aaron: Decoy Music: Interview: Nick Martin (Isles & Glaciers / Underminded / Cinematic Sunrise) Archived September 25, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- Stephanie Castor: Guitar World: Exclusive: Pierce the Veil Premiere and Discuss New Song, “Bulls in the Bronx,” and New Album, 'Collide With the Sky'
- Karen Cotton: Wyoming Tribune-Eagle: "Pierce the Veil" sings need and desire, S. 4: "I get my music influence from my dad, ... He was the one who taught me how to play the guitar in the beginning. He raised me on jazz and Spanish rock. That's where I first learned to play the guitar."
- FUZE Magazine: Pierce the Veil - My Artwork: Würde ich keine Musik machen, wäre ich wohl Grafikdesigner, Seite 17 (Fuze #35, Sep/Aug 2012, Download)
- Dave Good: San Diego Reader: Pierce the Veil's Mexi-Core
- Amanda Ferrante Batista: The Aquarian: An Interview with Pierce The Veil: Colliding With The Sky
- Ryan J. Downey: Alternative Press (Ausgabe 321.2): Cabin Fever Dream, S. 76: "That friend, Curtis Peoples, is one of the main songwriters credited with the smash single [King For A Day] from Collide with the Sky, and has been Vic's friend since kindergarten. ... When they were in high school, Peoples invited Vic to join his band, 3 Simple Words."
- Allmusic: BEFORE TODAY | A CELEBRATION OF AN ENDING | ALBUM
- San Diego Reader: Pierce the Veil
- Emily: Blunt Magazine: Pierce the Veil: Interview
- Alternative Press: AP Exclusive: Cinematic Sunrise tour diary (part one) Archived 2016-02-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Annie Zaleski: Alternative Press: Interview: Pierce The Veil's Vic Fuentes on recording their “eclectic” third album
- Ridge Briel: Mind Equals Blown: Interview: Pierce the Veil
- Ross Coulthart: Yahoo News: When nobody listens Archived 2014-01-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Alternative Press: Track-By-Track: Pierce The Veil Archived 2017-04-11 at the Wayback Machine
- Elmar Salmutter: Metal Hammer #2/2008: page 96, to be seen here (Rolling Stone Archive)
- Alternative Press: Announcing the first AP Music Awards! Get all the details and vote for your favorite artists!
- Alternative Press: Here are all the 2015 APMAs nominees! Archived 2016-11-10 at the Wayback Machine