Vivek Paul Gundotra
14 June 1969
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology Madras|
|Occupation(s)||Chief Executive Officer, Alivecor, Inc. Ex. Senior Vice President, Social, Google|
Vivek Paul "Vic" Gundotra (born 14 June 1969) is an Indian-born American businessman who served as the Senior Vice President, Social for Google until 24 April 2014. Prior to joining Google, he was a general manager at Microsoft.
Gundotra joined Microsoft in 1991 and eventually became General Manager of Platform Evangelism. His duties included promoting Microsoft's APIs and platforms to independent developers and helping to develop a strategy for Windows Live online services to compete with Google's web-based software applications.
His responsibilities as Vice-President of Social included Google's social networking and identity service, Google+. He is widely believed to be the man behind Google+, and was responsible for the controversial removal of social features from Google Reader.[better source needed] Apart from Google+, he is widely credited for his contributions to early versions of the mobile version of Google Maps, making advertising videos for Mercedes, and Google I/O.
On 24 April 2014, Gundotra announced his resignation from Google after almost 7 years of service. About a year later, accusations were made about his sexual harassment of at least one employee at Google.
On 17 January 2019 it was reported that he was stepping down from AliveCor for personal reasons.
Awards and recognition
- Raymond, Scott (24 August 2011). "Google+ real name clampdown ignores own grace period". ZDNet.
- Lardinois, Frederic (24 April 2014). "Vic Gundotra, The Father Of Google+, Is Leaving Google After 8 Years". TechCrunch.
- "Management Team". Google. 29 July 2018. Archived from the original on 26 February 2014.
- Boutin, Paul (3 July 2006). "Where's My Google PC?". Slate.
- Gannes, Liz (4 August 2010). "Google's Social Czar Is Vic Gundotra". Gigaom.
- Estes, Adam (25 October 2011). "The World Is Surprisingly Angry About the End of Google Reader". The Atlantic.
- "Mercedes-Benz Safety - The best or nothing. - Vic Gundotra, SVP Google". YouTube. Archived from the original on 18 December 2021.
- "Google+ Mastermind Vic Gundotra resigns from Google Inc". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Google+ Head Vic Gundotra Leaving Company". ReCode. 24 April 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "A former Google employee claims she was reprimanded for speaking out about sexual harassment". businessinsider.com. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "Vic Gundotra's Google+ profile". 11 November 2015. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- AliveCor press release announcing Vic Gundotra as its CEO effective 11 Nov. 2015.
- "Former Google exec Vic Gundotra has stepped down as CEO of AliveCor, a health-tracking start-up". CNBC. 17 January 2019. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- "2003 Young Innovators Under 35: Vic Gundotra, 34". Technology Review. 2003. Retrieved 14 August 2011.