Apostolic Vicariate of Aguarico
|Apostolic Vicariate of Aguarico
Apostolicus Vicariatus Aguaricoënsis
|Area||28,000 km2 (11,000 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||16 November 1953 (63 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Catedral Nuestra Señora del Carmen|
|Vicar Apostolic||Jesús Esteban Sádaba Pérez, O.F.M. Cap.|
The Apostolic Vicariate (Vicariate Apostolic) of Aguarico (Latin: Apostolicus Vicariatus Aguaricoënsis), a missionary s-circonscription of the Roman Catholic Church, is located in the Aguarico Canton in Ecuador's Amazon Rainforest.
On 16 November, 1953 Pope Pius XII established the Prefecture Apostolic of Aguarico from the Apostolic Vicariate of Napo. It has a cathedral see, the Catedral Nuestra Señora del Carmen, in Puerto Francisco de Orellana, in Orellana Province.
It remains exempt, i.e. immediately subject to the Holy See, not part of any ecclesistical province.
So far, all ordinaries have been Friars Minor Capuchin.
- Apostolic prefects
- Igino Gamboa, O.F.M. Cap. † (30 March 1954 Appointed - 1965)
- Alejandro Labaca Ugarte, O.F.M. Cap. † (22 Jan. 1965 Appointed - 26 June 1970)
- Jesús Langarica Olagüe, O.F.M. Cap. † (26 June 1970 Appointed - 1984)
- Apostolic vicars
- Alejandro Labaca Ugarte, O.F.M. Cap. † (2 July 1984 Appointed - 2 July 1987)
- Jesús Esteban Sádaba Pérez, O.F.M. Cap. (22 Jan. 1990 - present)
Sources and References
|This Ecuador-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Ecuador is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|