Apostolic Vicariate of Anatolia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Apostolic Vicariate of Anatolia
Vicariatus Apostolicus Anatoliensis
Anadolu Apostolik taşındi
|Metropolitan||Immediately subject to the Holy See|
|(as of 2010)
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Annunciation, İskenderun|
|Co-cathedral||Co-Cathedral of St. Anthony of Padua, Mersin|
|Apostolic Vicar||Bishop-elect Padre Paolo Bizzeti, S.I., Titular Bishop-elect of Tabe, was appointed Vicar Apostolic-elect of Anatolia by Pope Francis to succeed Bishop Luigi Padovese on Saturday, August 15, 2015|
|Apostolic Administrator||Ruggero Franceschini|
|Website of the Vicariate|
The missionary pre-diocesan jurisdiction is exempt, i.e. directly dependent on the Holy See (notably the Roman Congregation for the Oriental Churches, unusual for a Latin see), not part of any ecclesiastical province.
- Established originally on March 13, 1845 as Apostolic Prefecture of Trabzon, named after its then see at the Black Sea, not invoking any local apostolic succession.
- Suppressed on September 12, 1896, its territory being merged into the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Izmir (in western Anatolia).
- Restored on June 20, 1931, albeit demoted totally, as Mission sui iuris of Trabzon, on territory split off from the Apostolic Vicariate of Constantinopole.
- Promoted on November 30, 1990 as Apostolic Vicariate of Anatolia, since entitled to a titular bishop.
(all Roman Rite, so far missionary European members of Latin congregations)
- Apostolic Prefects of Trabzon (Independent Mission)
- Friar Damiano da Viareggio, Capuchin Friars Minor (O.F.M. Cap.) (1845 – 1852)
- Friar Filippo Maria da Bologna, O.F.M. Cap. (1852 – 1881)
- Friar Eugenio da Modica, O.F.M. Cap. (1881 – September 12, 1896)
- see suppressed
- Ecclesiastical Superiors of Trabzon
- Fr. Michele da Capodistria, O.F.M. Cap. (June 20, 1931 – March 9, 1933)
- Fr. Giovanni Giannetti da Fivizzano, O.F.M. Cap. (March 9, 1933 – 1955)
- Fr. Prospero Germini da Ospitaletto, O.F.M. Cap. (1955 – 1961)
- Fr. Michele Salardi da Novellara, O.F.M. Cap. (1961 – 1966)
- Fr. Giuseppe Germano Bernardini, O.F.M. Cap. (December 19, 1966 – January 22, 1983 see below), later Apostolic Administrator of Trabzon (1983.01.22 – 1990.11.30), Metropolitan Archbishop of Izmir (Turkey) (1983.01.22 – 2004.10.11), President of Episcopal Conference of Turkey (1989 – 1992), Apostolic Administrator of Anatolia (Turkey) (1990.11.30 – 1993.07.02)
- Apostolic Administrator Archbishop Giuseppe Germano Bernardini, O.F.M. Cap. (see above January 22, 1983 – July 2, 1993)
- Apostolic Vicars of Anatolia
- Ruggero Franceschini, O.F.M. Cap. (July 2, 1993 – October 11, 2004), Titular Bishop of Sicilibba (1993.07.02 – 2004.10.11); later Metropolitan Archbishop of Izmir (Turkey) (2004.10.11 – retired 2015.11.07), Apostolic Administrator of Anatolia (Turkey) (2010.06.12 – 2015.08.14); President of Episcopal Conference of Turkey (2001 – 2007.10 & 2010.09 – 2015.11.07)
- Luigi Padovese, O.F.M. Cap. (October 11, 2004 – death June 3, 2010), Titular Bishop of Monteverde (2004.10.11 – 2010.06.03)
- Apostolic Administrator again, now sede vacante et ad nutum Sanctae Sedis) Archbishop Ruggero Franceschini, O.F.M. Cap. (see above June 12, 2010 – 2015.08.14)
- Paolo Bizzeti, Jesuits (S.J.) (2015.08.14 – ...), Titular Bishop of Tabæ
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Asia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|