Apostolic Vicariate of Vientiane
|Apostolic Vicariate of Vientiane
Vicariatus Apostolicus Vientianensis
Cathedral of the Sacred Heart
|Metropolitan||Immediately subject to the Holy See|
|Area||98,000 km2 (38,000 sq mi)|
|(as of 2002)
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Vientiane|
|Apostolic Vicar||Jean Khamsé Vithavong, O.M.I|
Apostolic Vicariate (or Vicariate Apostolic) of Vientiane (Latin: Vicariatus Apostolicus Vientianensis) is an Apostolic Vicariate (pre-diocesan missionary jurisdiction entitled to a titular bishop) of the Latin Roman Catholic Church in Laos.
It is exempt, i.e. directly subject to the Holy See (not part of any ecclesiastical province and its Roman Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.
Its cathedral episcopal see and one of the country's largest churches is the Sacred Heart Cathedral in Vientiane, which was built in 1928 and renovated in 2004/2005. It is currently vacant, under a temporary apostolic administrator.
As per 2014 it pastorally served 14,947 Catholics (0.7% of 2,216,558 total) in 23 parishes with 5 priests (1 diocesan, 4 religious) and 24 lay religious (4 brothers, 20 sisters).
The northern part around Luang Prabang was split off on 3 March, 1963 to establish the Apostolic Vicariate of Luang Prabang, which so far was usually held in personal union with Vientiane or under manadates as Apostolic administrator.
(all Roman Rite)
- Apostolic Prefect of Vientiane and Luang-Prabang
- Giovanni Enrico Mazoyer, Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (O.M.I.), 1938.06.17 – death 1952
- Apostolic Vicars of Vientiane
- Etienne-Auguste-Germain Loosdregt, O.M.I., (1952.03.13 – resigned 1975), Titular Bishop of Amaura (1952.03.13 – death 1980.11.13), President of Episcopal Conference of Laos and Cambodia (1964 – retired 1978)
- Thomas Nantha (1975.05.22 – 1984.04.07), also Apostolic Administrator of the Apostolic Vicariate of Luang Prabang (1975.11.29 – 1984.04.07), President of Episcopal Conference of Laos and Cambodia (1979 – 1984); previously Auxiliary Bishop of Vientiane (1974.04.25 – 1975.05.22) and Titular Bishop of Succuba (1974.04.25 – 1984.04.07)
- Jean Khamsé Vithavong, O.M.I., (1984.04.07 – retired ...), Titular Bishop of Moglæna (1982.11.19 – ...), also Apostolic Administrator of the Apostolic Vicariate of Luang Prabang (1984 – 1999) and President of Episcopal Conference of Laos and Cambodia (2000 – 2005); succeeded as previous Coadjutor apostolic vicar of Vientiane (1982.11.19 – 1984.04.07)
- Apostolic Administrator (2017.02.02 – ...) Louis-Marie Ling Mangkhanekhoun, Titular Bishop of Aquæ novæ in Proconsulari (2000.10.30 – ...), while Apostolic Vicar of Pakse (Laos) (2000.10.30 – ...); previously also President of Episcopal Conference of Laos and Cambodia (2009.12 – 2014)