Apostolic Vicariate of Vientiane
|Apostolic Vicariate of Vientiane
Vicariatus Apostolicus Vientianensis
Cathedral of the Sacred Heart
|Metropolitan||Immediately subject to the Holy See|
|Area||98,000 km2 (38,000 sq mi)|
|(as of 2002)
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Vientiane|
|Apostolic Vicar||Sede Vacante|
|Apostolic Administrator||Louis-Marie Ling Mangkhanekhoun|
As an apostolic vicariate, it is a pre-diocesan jurisdiction, entitled to a titular bishop, and exempt, i.e., not part of any ecclesiastical province and directly dependent on the Holy See and its missionary Roman Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.
The Apostolic Vicariate's cathedral episcopal see is Sacred Heart Cathedral in Vientiane, one of the country's largest churches. The vicariate is currently vacant, with Bishop Louis-Marie Ling Mangkhanekhoun, Apostolic Vicar of Pakse (Laos), serving as apostolic administrator.
As per 2014 it pastorally served 14,947 Catholics (0.7% of 2,216,558 total) in 23 parishes with 5 priests (1 diocesan, 4 religious) and 24 lay religious (4 brothers, 20 sisters).
The northern part around Luang Prabang was split off on March 3, 1963, to establish the Apostolic Vicariate of Luang Prabang, which since then has often been held in personal union with Vientiane or by an Apostolic administrator.
(all Roman Rite)
- Apostolic Prefect of Vientiane and Luang-Prabang
- Giovanni Enrico Mazoyer, Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (O.M.I.), 1938.06.17 – death 1952
- Apostolic Vicars of Vientiane
- Etienne-Auguste-Germain Loosdregt, O.M.I., (1952.03.13 – resigned 1975), Titular Bishop of Amaura (1952.03.13 – death 1980.11.13), President of Episcopal Conference of Laos and Cambodia (1964 – retired 1978)
- Thomas Nantha (1975.05.22 – 1984.04.07), also Apostolic Administrator of the Apostolic Vicariate of Luang Prabang (1975.11.29 – 1984.04.07), President of Episcopal Conference of Laos and Cambodia (1979 – 1984); previously Auxiliary Bishop of Vientiane (1974.04.25 – 1975.05.22) and Titular Bishop of Succuba (1974.04.25 – 1984.04.07)
- Jean Khamsé Vithavong, O.M.I., (1984.04.07 – retired 2017.02.02), Titular Bishop of Moglæna (1982.11.19 – ...), also Apostolic Administrator of the Apostolic Vicariate of Luang Prabang (1984 – 1999) and President of Episcopal Conference of Laos and Cambodia (2000 – 2005); succeeded as previous Coadjutor apostolic vicar of Vientiane (1982.11.19 – 1984.04.07)
- Apostolic Administrator (2017.02.02 – ...) Louis-Marie Ling Mangkhanekhoun, Titular Bishop of Aquæ novæ in Proconsulari (2000.10.30 – ...), while Apostolic Vicar of Pakse (Laos) (2000.10.30 – ...), created Cardinal 2017.06.28; previously also President of Episcopal Conference of Laos and Cambodia (2009.12 – 2014).