Vice Ganda in Toronto Ontario, 2014
|Birth name||Jose Marie Borja Viceral|
March 31, 1976 |
Tondo, Manila, Philippines
|Medium||Television, Film, Music|
|Genres||Observational comedy, Satire|
|Subject(s)||Popular culture, stereotypes, human sexuality|
|Influences||Roderick Paulate, Dolphy, Allan K, Joey de Leon|
|Notable works and roles||It's Showtime
Gandang Gabi, Vice!
The Unkabogable Praybeyt Benjamin
Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy
The Amazing Praybeyt Benjamin
Beauty and the Bestie
Pilipinas Got Talent
|Labels||Viva Records (2010-2011)
Star Music (2010 –present)
|Associated acts||Regine Velasquez|
Jose Marie Borja Viceral (born March 31, 1976), known by his stage name Vice Ganda, is a Filipino television presenter, endorser, actor, and recording artist. Viceral is a regular host/judge on ABS-CBN’s noontime variety show It's Showtime, and has starred in several films, five  of which are considered the highest-grossing films in Philippine cinema.
He is best known for his stand-up routines, in which he uses observational comedy, situational irony and sarcasm in pertaining to Filipino culture and human sexuality. He is also the first openly gay endorser for a major product in the Philippines (Globe Telecom).
The youngest of five children, Viceral grew up in the neighbourhood along José Abád Santos Street in Manuguit, Tondo, Manila. His father, a barangay captain, was murdered when he was young, prompting his mother to leave the children for work abroad as a caregiver.
He studied Political Science at Far Eastern University and became the only man in the history of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines to be the Finals MVP in women's division in 2003,.
Vice started out as a singer, then as a stand-up comedian for Punchline and The Library, whose owner Andrew de Real gave him the stage name "Vice Ganda". There he spent several years developing his material in the comedy clubs. Vice’s career began to build after appearances on television and reviews from tabloid columns. He works alongside fellow comedians Chokoleit, Pooh, John Lapus and Rey Kilay.
He appeared in several television series and sitcoms such as Dyosa, under the direction of Wenn V. Deramas. Vice also had another supporting role in the drama series Maging Sino Ka Man: Ang Pagbabalik. In 2009, he became part of Showtime, a talent search programme where he eventually gained his present role as a regular presenter/judge. His life story of being bullied as a young, closeted homosexual has also been featured in the drama anthology, Maalaala Mo Kaya. Aside from Showtime, he is currently hosting his own Sunday talk show, the consistently top rated Gandang Gabi, Vice!. Currently, he is under the management of ABS-CBN, and handling him is business unit head Deo Endrinal after being managed for four years by local entertainment columnist/host Ogie Diaz.
Vice starred in minor roles until 2009, where he appeared alongside Vilma Santos and John Lloyd Cruz in the film In My Life. A year later he starred in a remake of the comedy film, Petrang Kabayo, which was an instant hit at its release. The following year, Vice starred in Praybeyt Benjamin with Derek Ramsay, directed by Wenn V. Deramas. The movie became the first local film to reach 300 million pesos in ticket sales, and proved to be an even greater box office success than Petrang Kabayo. He is presently under contract with Viva Films. In 2012, he starred in the Filipino comedy film This Guy's In Love With U Mare! under Star Cinema and Viva Films, alongside Luis Manzano and Toni Gonzaga, directed by Wenn V. Deramas. He had a cameo in the film Bromance: My Brother's Romance in 2013. He made another movie called Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy. In 2014, Star Cinema released a movie called The Amazing Praybeyt Benjamin an official entry for the MMFF 2014. He participated alongside actress Alex Gonzaga, and actors Richard Yap and James "Bimby" Aquino-Yap. The film was directed by Wenn V. Deramas. In 2015, Star Cinema released Beauty and the Bestie, an official entry for the MMFF 2015. He participated alongside actror Coco Martin, Kapamilya loveteam James Reid and Nadine Lustre or shortly called as Jadine, actors Marco Masa and Alonzo Muhlach, and comediane MC Calaquian and Lassy Marquez. The film was directed by Wenn V. Deramas.
On June 15, 2011, Vice released his first studio album, Lakas Tama under Vicor Music. It features mostly pop and novelty songs, including "Palong Palo", written by Callalily frontman Kean Cipriano. He is also included in the compilation album of Showtime, released by Star Records. On April 30, 2013, Vice Ganda released his 2nd album, self-titled, and debut album under Star Records. On 2014, Vice Ganda released his 3'rd album, entitled #Trending, which featured the song Boom Panes and Push Mo Yan Teh!
Viceral's brand of humor has been viewed as polarizing. Much of his comedy style is sarcasm, making fun of current events, and picking on the physical appearance of other people. The latter has fueled much ire from the Filipino audience.
In May 2013, Viceral was widely criticised for making several jokes about gang rape during his I-Vice Ganda Mo Ko! comedy concert show. One of them was directed towards respected news anchor Jessica Soho, whom he mentioned in a joke regarding several personalities starring in a hypothetical adult movie. Philippine women's rights group GABRIELA condemned the joke as being distasteful in light of rape victims. GMA reporter Arnold Clavio, a colleague of Soho, defended the news anchor and expressed his disapproval of Vice's remark in one of the former's radio programs. Although Viceral, initially defended his stance, saying that the brand of humor he uses is based on his roots doing stand-up in comedy bars and karaoke lounges, the comedian eventually issued an apology over the issue during an episode of It's Showtime!.
|1999||SOP||Himself (performer)||"Regine Velasquez Birthday Celebration 1999 Opening"||GMA Network|
|1999||Judy Ann Drama Special||Antonia||ABS-CBN|
|2000||Eat Bulaga!||Himself (contender)||Segment: "O! Diva"||GMA Network|
|2002||SOP||Himself (performer)||"Regine Velasquez Birthday Celebration 2002"|
|2005||M.R.S. (Most Requested Show)||Himself (performer)||ABS-CBN|
|2007||Comedy Central Market||Rica Reyes||GMA Network|
|2007||Maging Sino Ka Man: Ang Pagbabalik||Joko|
|2008||Boy & Kris||Himself/guest|
|2008||Ligaw Na Bulaklak||Tony|
|2008/2009||Wowowee||Himself (studio contestant/guest co-host)|
|2008/2014||The Singing Bee||Himself (studio contestant)|
|2009||Maalaala Mo Kaya||Himself||Episode: "Bola"|
|2009||Only You||Bicky Tio|
|2009||May Bukas Pa||Maxie|
|2009–present||It's Showtime||Himself (judge/host)|
|2011||Your Song Presents: Kim||Mars|
|2011||I Dare You (Season 1)||Himself/challenger|
|2011||100 Days to Heaven||August|
|2011||Pilipinas Got Talent (Season 3)||Himself (guest performer)|
|2011–present||Gandang Gabi, Vice!||Himself (host)|
|2012||Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Edition 4||Himself/guest|
|2012||Banana Split Extra Scoop||Himself/guest appearance (December 8, 2012)|
|2013||Showtime Holy Week Special||Willy Sacdalan||Episode: "The Sacdalan Family Story"|
|2013||Pilipinas Got Talent (Season 4)||Guest Judge|
|2013||The Voice of the Philippines (Season 1)||Himself (performer)||Production number with Lea Salonga and Mitoy Yonting|
|2013||Juan Dela Cruz||Santana|
|2014||Showtime Holy Week Special||Ruben Quilantang||Episode: "The Ruben Quilantang Story"|
|2014||Pinoy Big Brother: All In||Himself/guest|
|2014||Kris TV||Guest / Co-Host|
|2015||Showtime Holy Week Special||Ricardo Marcial||Episode: "Tinig ng Pangarap: The Ricardo Marcial Story"|
|2015||Your Face Sounds Familiar||Himself/guest judge|
|2016–present||Pilipinas Got Talent (season 5)||Himself/Judge||Introduced as one of the new judges alongside Angel Locsin and Robin Padilla.|
|2007||Apat Dapat, Dapat Apat||Res' Chinese employer||First Movie Appearance|
|Ikaw Pa Rin: Bongga Ka Boy!||Host|
|2009||In My Life||Hillary|
|Petrang Kabayo||Peter Kasimsiman / Petra|
|2011||The Unkabogable Praybeyt Benjamin||Benjamin "Benjie" Santos VIII / Brandon’s girlfriend||Highest Grossing Filipino Film of 2011|
|2012||This Guy's In Love With U Mare!||Lester Reyes|
|Sisterakas||Bernardo "Totoy/Bernice" Laurel Sabroso||Highest Grossing Filipino Film of 2012|
|2013||Bromance: My Brother's Romance||Cameo Role|
|Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy||Girlie/Peter/Mark Jill/Panying Jackstone||Highest Grossing Filipino Film of 2013|
|2014||The Amazing Praybeyt Benjamin||Benjamin "Benjie" Santos VIII||Highest Grossing Filipino Film of 2014|
|2015||Beauty and the Bestie||Erik " Erika" Villavicencio/Natalia Thalia Nutreila||Highest Grossing Filipino Film of All Time |
|2011||Lakas Tama||Vicor Music|
|2013||Vice Ganda||Star Music||featuring the song *KaRaKaRaKa|
|2014||#Trending||Star Music||featuring the songs *#BoomPanes, #PushMoYanTe*|
|2010||Showtime: The Album||Star Music|
|2015||Wag Kang Pabebe||Star Music|
|2015||Chuva Choo Choo (Beauty and the Bestie OST)||Star Music|
Awards and nominations
- Evangelista, Patricia (June 4, 2013). "The rape of Jessica Soho". Rappler. Retrieved May 9, 2015.
- Vice Ganda Official Star Records Profile ABS-CBN Star Music.
- "Beauty and the Bestie breaks "A Second Chance" PH record". ABS-CBNnews.com. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- Neil Ramos (November 17, 2011). "'Praybeyt Benjamin' earns P327M". Manila Bulletin.[dead link]
- Ricardo F. Lo (November 16, 2011). "FUNFARE:Who's the real Box-Office star? Why Pacquiao entered politics". The Philippine Star.
- Crispina Martinez-Belen (September 7, 2011). "Celebrity World:'Thelma' star stirs heated brawl between actors Coco and Matteo". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on November 19, 2011.
- "Globe Prepaid Superlahat20". April 11, 2011.
- Ricardo F. Lo (April 9, 2008). "FUNFARE:Vice Ganda teaches ‘tormentor’ a whammy lesson". The Philippine Star.[dead link]
- Ricky Lo (May 9, 2010). "Vice Ganda: Feeling Beautiful". The Philippine Star.
- Rhea Manila P. Santos (February 20, 2009). "Laugh and cry with Vice Ganda’s life story on Maalaala Mo Kaya". ABS-CBN.[dead link]
- Kaye Villagomez (September 3, 2011). "Vice Ganda explains anti-teleserye stance". Manila Bulletin.[dead link]
- "Ogie Diaz no longer Vice Ganda's manager". ABS-CBN News. November 23, 2011.
- Rommel R. Llanes (November 22, 2011). "Ogie Diaz confirms Vice Ganda is no longer his talent; Deo Endrinal is Vice's new manager". Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Maureen Marie Belmonte (October 3, 2011). "Vice and Ogie's 'love-hate' relationship continues". Manila Bulletin.[dead link]
- Alex Valentin Brosas (January 15, 2010). "Vice Ganda to star in ‘Petrang Kabayo’ remake". Manila Bulletin.[dead link]
- Jullie Y. Daza (November 1, 2010). "Who's Laughing at Vice Now?". Manila Bulletin.[dead link]
- Boy Abunda (November 10, 2011). "Anne ayaw makipag-agawan ng korona kay Vice Ganda". Pilipino Star Ngayon.
- Alex V. Brosas (August 31, 2011). "Vice Ganda clears the air on rumored rift with Vic del Rosario and concert director GB Sampedro". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on April 6, 2012.
- Punch Liwanag (July 1, 2011). "Audio Junkie:'Masa' music overload". Manila Bulletin.[dead link]
- "Rape joke ni Vice Ganda tungkol kay Jessica Soho, binatikos" (in Tagalog). Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "Vice Ganda publicly apologizes to Jessica Soho". Yahoo! (Yahoo! OMG! Philippines). Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "Apat Dapat, Dapat Apat". July 10, 2011.
- "'Condo' Groundbreaks 2008 IndieSine Line-up". January 17, 2008.
- "Condo: 2008 movie". January 23, 2008.
- "Ikaw Pa Rin: Bongga Ka Boy! Full Cast & Crew". May 14, 2008.
- Ricky F. Lo (July 23, 2009). "Straight from the 'horse's' mouth". The Philippine Star.
- "Coco Martin pushes his film "Noy" for Oscars entry". November 16, 2011.
- "Vice Ganda sacrifices for his siblings". Viva Entertainment. July 19, 2010.
- "Viva Films' Hating Kapatid is a rare casting coup". The Philippine Star. May 24, 2010.
- "Vice Ganda Stars Remake Petrang Kabayo". ABS-CBN News. January 15, 2010.
- "Vice Ganda's transformation from Petrang Kabayo to Praybet Benjamin". The Philippine Star. September 29, 2011.
- List of highest grossing Filipino films in 2011
- NESTOR CUARTERO (June 1, 2011). "'Two and a Half Sisters' and an indigenous cultural exhibit". Manila Bulletin.[dead link]
- Vice-Kris Movie Vice Ganda Web. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- Kris-Vice Team up for MMFF this 2012 ABS-CBN Entertainment News. Retrieved 06-17-2012
- List of highest grossing Filipino films in 2012
- List of highest grossing Filipino films in 2013
- List of highest grossing Filipino films in 2014
- ""Beauty and the Bestie is now the highest grossing film of all time" ". Star Cinema. January 26, 2016. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- "Showtime the album, an early Christmas treat". Star Records. October 19, 2010.[dead link]
- "Show Time The Album". October 19, 2010.
- "Complete List of Winners: 45th Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards 2014". The Summit Express. Retrieved 2014-05-019.
- "44th Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- "43rd Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2013-05-19.