Vice Ganda in Toronto, Ontario, 2014
Jose Marie Borja Viceral
March 31, 1976
Tondo, Manila, Philippines
|Alma mater||Far Eastern University|
|Agent||Viva Artists Agency|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Labels||Viva Records (2010–2011)|
Star Music (2010 –present)
|Associated acts||Regine Velasquez |
Jose Marie Borja Viceral (born March 31, 1976), popularly known as Vice Ganda (lit. '"Beautiful Vice"'), is a Filipino comedian, talk show host, television presenter, actor, and singer. He is a regular host on ABS-CBN's noontime variety show It's Showtime, and has starred in several films, eight of which are considered to be the highest-grossing in Philippine cinema.
Viceral is best known for his stand-up routines, in which he uses observational comedy, situational irony and sarcasm in pertaining to Filipino culture and human sexuality. He is also the first openly gay endorser for Globe Telecom.
Before coming out to his family and loved ones, Vice Ganda was known as "Tutoy", which was his nickname as a young boy. The youngest of five children, Viceral grew up in the neighbourhood along José Abád Santos Street in Manuguit, Tondo, Manila. His father, a native of Taysan, Batangas and a barangay captain in Tondo, Manila, was murdered when Viceral was young, prompting his mother, an Ilocana from San Juan, La Union, to leave her children to work abroad as a caregiver.
Ganda started out as a singer, then as a comedian for Punchline and The Library, whose owner Andrew de Real gave him the stage name "Vice Ganda". There he spent several years developing his material in the comedy clubs. Viceral's career began to build after appearances on television and reviews from tabloid columns. He works alongside fellow comedians Chokoleit, Pooh, John Lapus and Rey Kilay.
Viceral appeared in several television series and sitcoms such as Dyosa, under the direction of Wenn V. Deramas. He also had another supporting role in the drama series Maging Sino Ka Man: Ang Pagbabalik. In 2009, Viceral became part of Showtime, a talent search program where he eventually gained his present role as a regular presenter/judge. His life story of being bullied as a young, closeted homosexual has also been featured in the drama anthology, Maalaala Mo Kaya. Aside from Showtime, he is currently hosting his own Sunday talk show, the consistently top rated Gandang Gabi, Vice!. Currently, Viceral is under the management of ABS-CBN, and handling him is business unit head Deo Endrinal after being managed for four years by local entertainment columnist/host Ogie Diaz. In 2016, he became one of the judges in Pilipinas Got Talent.
Before venturing into mainstream movies, Viceral starred in minor roles in independent films such as, Condo with Coco Martin and In My Life, where he appeared alongside Vilma Santos and John Lloyd Cruz. In 2010, Viceral starred in a remake of the comedy film, Petrang Kabayo, which was an instant hit at its release. The following year, he starred in Praybeyt Benjamin with Derek Ramsay, directed by Wenn V. Deramas. The movie became the first local film to reach 300 million pesos in ticket sales, and proved to be an even greater box office success than Petrang Kabayo. In 2012, Viceral starred in the Filipino comedy film This Guy's in Love with U Mare! under Star Cinema and Viva Films, alongside Luis Manzano and Toni Gonzaga, directed by Wenn V. Deramas. In 2013, he made another movie called Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy. In 2014, Star Cinema released a movie called The Amazing Praybeyt Benjamin an official entry for the MMFF 2014. Viceral participated alongside actress Alex Gonzaga, and actors Richard Yap and James "Bimby" Aquino-Yap. The film was directed by Wenn V. Deramas. In 2015, Star Cinema released Beauty and the Bestie, an official entry for the MMFF 2015, directed by Wenn V. Deramas. Viceral participated alongside actor Coco Martin, Kapamilya loveteam James Reid and Nadine Lustre, actors Marco Masa and Alonzo Muhlach, and comedians MC Calaquian and Lassy Marquez. In 2018 and 2019 respectively, Vice starred in 2 blockbuster movies, Fantastica and The Mall, The Merrier, with Dingdong Dantes and Richard Gutierrez in the former, and Anne Curtis in the latter.
In 2011, Viceral released his first studio album, Lakas Tama under Vicor Music. It features mostly pop and novelty songs, including "Palong Palo", written by Callalily frontman Kean Cipriano. He is also included in the compilation album of Showtime, released by Star Records. In 2013, he released his 2nd album, self-titled, and debut album under Star Records. In 2014, Viceral released his 3rd album, entitled #Trending, which featured the song Boom Panes and Push Mo Yan Teh!
On July 16, 2016, Viceral launched his first book titled President Vice: Ang Bagong Panggulo ng Pilipinas (lit. '"President Vice: The New Troublemaker President of the Philippines"'), a parody about how he would deal with problems of the Filipinos in case he was elected the next president of the Philippines.
One of Vice Ganda's biggest inspirations is his teacher who told him to always follow his dreams no matter how big or wild they are.
Gang rape jokes against Jessica Soho
In May 2013, Viceral was widely criticized for making several jokes about gang rape during his I-Vice Ganda Mo Ko! comedy concert show. One of them was directed towards respected news anchor Jessica Soho, whom he mentioned in a joke regarding several personalities starring in a hypothetical adult movie. Philippine women's rights group GABRIELA condemned the joke as being distasteful in light of rape victims. GMA reporter Arnold Clavio, a colleague of Soho, defended the news anchor and expressed his disapproval of Viceral's body-shaming remark in one of the former's radio programs. Although Viceral, initially defended his stance, saying that the brand of humor he uses is based on his roots doing stand-up in comedy bars and karaoke lounges, the comedian issued an apology over the issue during an episode of It's Showtime.
Actress Nora Aunor also took umbrage at Viceral's style of humor when she pulled out of her appearance as a special guest judge for the Tawag ng Tanghalan grand finals at the last minute. Aunor believed Viceral's brand of insult comedy was against her moral beliefs, and was perturbed with the idea of being on the show alongside Viceral.
On one of his daily comedic discussions following a performance by Gian Magdangal on Tawag ng Tanghalan: Celebrity Champions, Viceral made a joke after the founder of Kingdom of Jesus Christ, Pastor Apollo Quiboloy, among other claims of being responsible for stopping calamities, claimed that he was responsible for stopping the earthquakes in Mindanao. Viceral jokingly challenged Pastor Quiboloy to stop one of the longest running and undying ABS-CBN television series, Ang Probinsyano and the common Philippine problem which is the constant traffic in EDSA. Members of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ took offense and expressed their dismay on Viceral. Radio broadcaster and SMNI anchor, Mike Abe, a friend of Quiboloy, defended the founder and launched his foul-mouthed tirade on Viceral about the controversial "stop" joke on Quiboloy. Two days after the joke, Quiboloy instead threatened that he will not only stop FPJ's Ang Probinsyano and shut down ABS-CBN as a whole within 4 months. Before saying these threats by Quiboloy, however, the company's contract, originally expiring on March 30, 2020, ended on May 4, 2020 based on Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra's speech during the Senate hearing on alleged violations made by ABS-CBN. Two weeks after the shutdown of ABS-CBN, Quiboloy delivered the message to Viceral on his show, Powerline, that he prophesized the network and Ang Probinsyano's end. However, the show (Ang Probinsyano) and all ABS-CBN shows and programs are still ongoing on other TV stations and social media platforms.
On May 26, during the first hearing of ABS-CBN's new 25-year franchise, Sagip Partylist Representative and Deputy Speaker Rodante Marcoleta presented videos showing Viceral jokingly asking Pastor Apollo Quiboloy of the Restorationist church Kingdom of Jesus Christ to stop Ang Probinsyano. Marcoleta alleged that Viceral's statement was meant sincerely, and that the challenge was accepted. Viceral responded to Marcoleta via a Twitter post, claiming that it was a joke.
As cited by Bautista (2012), researchers from University of San Jose - Recoletos studied the role of sarcasm and criticism on Filipino humor. Half of 100 participants stated that they gain more confidence from mimicking Viceral's style of humor, while 64% of the respondents said that they usually imitate Viceral's sarcasm during conversations.
|2011||Lakas Tama||Vicor Music||Gold|
|2013||Vice Ganda||Star Music||featuring the song *KaRaKaRaKa||Gold|
|2014||#Trending||featuring the songs *#BoomPanes, #PushMoYanTe*||Gold|
|2010||Showtime: The Album||Star Music|
|2013||Whoops Kirri (Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy OST)||Star Music|
|2015||Eh di wow! (Inday Bote OST)|
|Wag Kang Pabebe|
|Chuva Choo Choo (Beauty and the Bestie OST)|
|2016||Pasa Diyos ft. Vice Ganda (Collaboration with Young JV)|
|Ang Kulit ft. Onyok Pineda & Awra Briguela (The Super Parental Guardians OST)|
|2017||Hanggang Kailan Aasa (revival of Michael Pangilinan's Hanggang Kailan)|
|Qiqil si Acquoeh (Gandarrapido: The Revenger Squad OST)|
|2001||Channel V||Chatterbox Galleria|
|2002||D'Vice Live||Music Museum|
|2005||V Day||Metro Comedy Bar|
|2006||DIVAS LIVE Back to Back to Back|
|2007||Happy Vice Day|
|2010||May Nag-Text.. 'Yung Totoo! Vice Ganda sa Araneta||Smart Araneta Coliseum|
|2011||Eto Na: Vice Ganda, Todong Sample sa Araneta|
|2013||I-Vice Ganda Mo Ako sa Araneta|
|2015||Vice Gandang Ganda Sa Sarili sa Araneta.. Eh Di Wow!|
|2017||Pusuan Mo Si Vice Ganda sa Araneta|
|Vice Ganda For All Concert (Vice Cosmetics Launch)|
|2019||The Songbird and The Song Horse|
|2018||Vice Cosmetics Ganda For All Music Fest:
The Guinness World Records Official Attempt
|Smart Araneta Coliseum|
Awards and nominations
|2009||23rd PMPC Star Awards for TV||Best Single Performance by an Actor||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Bola||Nominated|
|2011||2011 GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Bert Marcelo Achievement Award for Excellence in Comedy||It's Showtime/ Petrang Kabayo||Won|
|2012||2nd EdukCircle Awards||Best TV Comedian||Gandang Gabi, Vice!||Won|
|PMPC Star Awards for TV 2012||Best Reality Game Show Hosts||It's Showtime hosts||Won|
|Best Celebrity Showbiz Talk Show Male Host||Gandang Gabi, Vice!||Won|
|39th Metro Manila Film Festival||Best Actor||Sisterakas||Nominated|
|2013||PMPC Star Awards for TV 2013||Best Celebrity Showbiz Talk Show Host||Gandang Gabi, Vice!||Won|
|GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Phenomenal Box Office Star||The Unkabogable Praybeyt Benjamin||Won|
|GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Phenomenal Box Office Star (with Kris Aquino and Ai Ai delas Alas)||Sisterakas||Won|
|39th Metro Manila Film Festival||Best Festival Actor||Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy||Nominated|
|2014||1st Paragala: The Central Luzon Media Awards||Central Luzon's for a Variety Show Host||It's Showtime||Won|
|30th PMPC Star Awards for Movies||Movie Actor of the Year||Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy||Won|
|GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Male Concert Performer of the Year||N/A||Won|
|Yahoo OMG Awards 2014||Loveteam of the Year
|Eastwood City Walk Of Fame Philippines||Celebrity Inductee||Acting, Singing, Hosting||Won|
|4th EdukCircle Awards||Best TV Comedian||Gandang Gabi, Vice!||Won|
|Most Influential Film Actor of the Year||Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy||Won|
|Best Talk Show Host||Gandang Gabi, Vice!||Won|
|GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Phenomenal Stars (with Vic Sotto)||Girl, Boy, Bakla, Tomboy||Won|
|2015||Star Cinema Awards||Favorite Fandom of the Year
|29th PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Male TV Host||It's Showtime||Won|
|GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Phenomenal Box-Office Star||The Amazing Praybeyt Benjamin||Won|
|2016||47th GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Phenomenal Box-Office Star||Beauty and the Bestie||Won|
|6th EdukCircle Awards||Most Influential Film Actor of the Year||Beauty and the Bestie||Won|
|Box Office Tandem of the Year (with Coco Martin)||Won|
|2017||48th GMMSF Box-Office Entertainment Awards||Phenomenal Box-Office Star||The Super Parental Guardians||Won|
|7th EdukCircle Awards||Most Influential Film Actor of the Year||Won|
|2nd Golden Laurel: LPU Batangas Media Awards||Best Talk Show Host||Gandang Gabi, Vice!||Won|
|2018||8th EdukCircle Awards||Most Influential Film Actor of the Year||Gandarrapido: The Revenger Squad||Won|
|2019||PMPC Star Awards for Music||Novelty Artist of the Year||"Dahil Kasama Mo Siya"||Nominated|
|Novelty Song of the Year||Won|
- Evangelista, Patricia (June 4, 2013). "The rape of Jessica Soho". Rappler. Archived from the original on April 20, 2016. Retrieved May 9, 2015.
- Vice Ganda Official Star Records Profile Archived March 18, 2015, at the Wayback Machine ABS-CBN Star Music.
-  Archived December 30, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. ABS-CBNnews.com. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- Neil Ramos (November 17, 2011). "'Praybeyt Benjamin' earns P327M". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on November 19, 2011.
- Ricardo F. Lo (November 16, 2011). "FUNFARE:Who's the real Box-Office star? Why Pacquiao entered politics". The Philippine Star. Archived from the original on October 19, 2013. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- Crispina Martinez-Belen (September 7, 2011). "Celebrity World:'Thelma' star stirs heated brawl between actors Coco and Matteo". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on November 19, 2011.
- "Globe Prepaid Superlahat20". April 11, 2011. Archived from the original on October 19, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Biography | Vice Ganda". Vice Ganda. Archived from the original on November 27, 2018. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- Mark Ramalez (June 20, 2012), Vice Ganda speaking Ilocano, archived from the original on February 6, 2015, retrieved April 8, 2017
- Ricardo F. Lo (April 9, 2008). "FUNFARE:Vice Ganda teaches 'tormentor' a whammy lesson". The Philippine Star. Archived from the original on October 19, 2013.
- News, ABS-CBN. "UNCUT: 'I underwent depression,' Vice Ganda reveals". ABS-CBN News. Archived from the original on November 27, 2018. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- "WATCH: In emotional moment, Vice Ganda reveals Ion Perez once resigned from 'Showtime'". ABS CBN News. November 15, 2019.
- Ricky Lo (May 9, 2010). "Vice Ganda: Feeling Beautiful". The Philippine Star. Archived from the original on October 20, 2013. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- Rhea Manila P. Santos (February 20, 2009). "Laugh and cry with Vice Ganda's life story on Maalaala Mo Kaya". ABS-CBN. Archived from the original on July 7, 2011.
- Kaye Villagomez (September 3, 2011). "Vice Ganda explains anti-teleserye stance". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on September 3, 2012.
- "Ogie Diaz no longer Vice Ganda's manager". ABS-CBN News. November 23, 2011. Archived from the original on November 24, 2011. Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- Rommel R. Llanes (November 22, 2011). "Ogie Diaz confirms Vice Ganda is no longer his talent; Deo Endrinal is Vice's new manager". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Archived from the original on October 17, 2013. Retrieved November 25, 2011.
- Maureen Marie Belmonte (October 3, 2011). "Vice and Ogie's 'love-hate' relationship continues". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on October 8, 2011.
- Alex Valentin Brosas (January 15, 2010). "Vice Ganda to star in 'Petrang Kabayo' remake". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on January 19, 2010.
- Jullie Y. Daza (November 1, 2010). "Who's Laughing at Vice Now?". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on November 4, 2010.
- Boy Abunda (November 10, 2011). "Anne ayaw makipag-agawan ng korona kay Vice Ganda". Pilipino Star Ngayon.
- Alex V. Brosas (August 31, 2011). "Vice Ganda clears the air on rumored rift with Vic del Rosario and concert director GB Sampedro". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on April 6, 2012.
- Punch Liwanag (July 1, 2011). "Audio Junkie:'Masa' music overload". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on September 8, 2011.
- Jose Marie Viceral (2016). President Vice: Ang Bagong Panggulo ng Pilipinas. ABS-CBN Publishing. ISBN 9789718161678.
- "Why Vice Ganda decided to launch a book". ABS-CBN Corporation. July 17, 2016. Archived from the original on July 18, 2016. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- Corp., ABS-CBN. "Vice Ganda gets emotional on It's Showtime; introduces his teacher who became his life inspiration". ABS-CBNENT. Archived from the original on November 27, 2018. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- "Rape joke ni Vice Ganda tungkol kay Jessica Soho, binatikos" (in Tagalog). Archived from the original on December 30, 2013. Retrieved May 29, 2013.
- "Vice Ganda publicly apologizes to Jessica Soho". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on June 8, 2013. Retrieved May 29, 2013.
- Jarloc, Glaiza (March 11, 2017). "Nora Aunor cancels 'It's Showtime' guesting stint because of Vice Ganda". SunStar. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Jan Milo Severo (November 5, 2019). "Vice Ganda challenges Quiboloy to stop 'Ang Probinsyano,' EDSA traffic". Philstar.com. Retrieved July 14, 2020.
- Arniel C. Serato (November 6, 2019). "Broadcaster calls out Vice Ganda over "napakayabang" comment against Pastor Quiboloy". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved July 14, 2020.
- Jan Milo Severo (November 11, 2019). "Quiboloy accepts Vice Ganda's challenge, praises 'Eat Bulaga'". Philstar.com. Retrieved July 14, 2020.
- Christia Marie Ramos (February 24, 2020). "ABS-CBN's franchise expires on May 4, not March 30 — DOJ chief". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved July 14, 2020.
- Jan Milo Severo (May 26, 2020). "Quiboloy says Vice Ganda prophesied ABS-CBN, 'Ang Probinsyano' to stop". The Philippine Star. Retrieved July 14, 2020.
- Ervin Santiago (May 27, 2020). "Vice kay Marcoleta: Take the congressman as a joke! Chugug!". Bandera. Retrieved July 14, 2020.
- "Sarcasm and Criticism as Basis of Filipino Humor: An Interactional Sociolinguistics Approach to Exchange of Jokes among College Students by Lablynn Yvette F. Bautista". academia.edu. Archived from the original on March 1, 2017. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- "Vice Ganda gets first gold record award". ABS-CBN News. Archived from the original on March 9, 2018. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "Vice Ganda Receives Gold Record Award For 'Vice Ganda' Album". ShowbizNest. Archived from the original on March 9, 2018. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "VICE GANDA'S "#TRENDING" ALBUM REACHES GOLD STATUS IN LESS THAN A WEEK". Lionheart. Archived from the original on March 9, 2018. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "Showtime the album, an early Christmas treat". Star Records. October 19, 2010. Archived from the original on November 14, 2011.
- "Show Time The Album". October 19, 2010. Archived from the original on October 1, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- JEFFREY O. VALISNO (June 30, 2011). "Bisyo na 'to". Business World Weekender. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- "43rd Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards" Archived January 16, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. Pep.ph. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "44th Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards" Archived January 16, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. Pep.ph. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Complete List of Winners: 45th Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards 2014" Archived March 26, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. The Summit Express. Retrieved 2014-05-019.