Vicente Guallart has been the Chief Architect of Barcelona City Council 2011-15.
He was born in Valencia in 1963. He opened his studio in Barcelona in 1992. He was co-founder of the Institute of Advanced Architecture (IAAC) and director from 2003 to 2011. He was director of the Master of Advanced Architecture since 2001 until 2011, co-organized by IAAC and UPC School.
He works at the confluence of architecture, nature and technologies. Some of his more relevant projects are the Denia Mountain (reconstruction of an old quarry, in an environment that hold and old Arab castle, selected for the Venice Biennale 2004), 3 ports in the North of Taiwan that will improve the tourism in the island (winners of 2 international competitions), or the Sharing Tower in the neighbourhood of la Torre (Valencia).
He spent part of his time with research and educational projects as former director of the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IaaC), in Barcelona, that holds an international postgraduate program on Architecture and Urbanism working in many scales “from Bits to geography”. In 2000 he co-directed with MIT’s Media Lab and another research Center, the Media House Project, the prototype of an informational house, based for the first time, in distributed computation.
He is author of the master Plan of the project Sociópolis, a housing project in Valencia that allows the urban development and the protection of the agriculture environment. He coordinates a group of international architects that will build different equipments and housing projects in this neighbourhood. This project was shown in the Valencia Biennale, or the Architekturzentrum in Vienna.
He is co-author of the Metapolis Dictionary of Advanced Architecture (Actar), HiperCatalonia or Media House Project. The Korean publishing house DD dedicates the monograph “Intelligent realities” to his work. Actar publishing house is preparing his new book “Media, Mountains and Architecture”.
He has given lectures in different Universities and Cities around the world as Princeton University, Upenn, Architectural Association, UCLA, MIT, Space (Seoul), Woodbury University, Taipei and others. His work has been exhibit in the Biennale di Venezia in 2000 (in the Arsenale, with the group Metapolis), 2004 (in the Arsenale with the Denia Mountain Project), 2008 (in Arsenale with Hyperhabitat in collaboration with IAAC and CBA's MIT), 2010 (in the Sapnish Pavilion with the Fab Lab House) and 2012 (in the Spanish pavilion, as chief architect of Barcelona, with Portes de Collserola and City Protocol).
Sharin Tower was selected for the exhibition "On Site: New Spanish Arechitecture" in 2006 at MOMA in New York City. The American Institute of Architects organized a solo exhibition in Whasington in 2010 under the title "Geologics".
- Batouz fishing port. Taipei, Taiwan 2004-2011
- Keelung ocean plaza. Keelung, Taiwan 2004-2000
- Sharing Blocks of Social Housing. Gandia 2008-2011
- Vinaros Sea promenade 2003-2011
- Bridge and urbanization in Motril 2009-2011
- Sharing Tower. Sociopolis-Valencia. 2005-2007
- Kim Hyng Yoon editing Co Headquarters. Paju Book City. Seoul. Korea (2001-2005)
- 34 apartments in Cambrils. Tarragona (Spain) (2002-2006)
- Ocena Plan. Keelung. Taiwan. 2004-2008
- Fugee fishing port.Taipei, Taiwan 2004-20012
- Vinaros Fish Market 2004-
- Hortal house. Commarruga. Barcelona. Spain (2001-2004)
- Denia Mountain Project. Denia. Alicante Spain (2003-
- Web Hotel. Fabrications at MACBA, (Barcelona) 1998
- Metapolitan Loft (2001-2004)
- House in the historic center of Barcelona. 1992.
- Project for the urban environment of the Plaza del Arbol in Valencia. EUROPAN II. 1991
- Hispanis Eco-village. Shangai (China) 2010-
- Project of Urbanization for Sociópolis. 2005-to be finished
- Sociopolis Master Plan. 2003-2005
- Plan of Uses for the Port of Vinaros, 2001-2002
- Museum of Fashion in Valencia, 2002-2005
- Project for the construction of a multifunctional complex (Hotel, Car Park, Auditorium, Commercial Center) in the castle quarry in Denia, 2002-
- Construction project for the south beach and services building adjacent to the Port of Vinaros, 2001-2002
- Special Plan for Protection and Interior Reform of the UA6 and UA7 in the environs of the Arabic city wall in Valencia
- Project for a Telecenter and laying-out of the main square, including the partial covering-over of the river.
Ribes de Freser, 2000-2003
- 36 apartments in Cambrils (Tarragona), 2001-2004
- C/ Cristòbal de Moura. Scheme design, 1998-
- Grade 1 camp site in Pola de Gordón (León), 1999
- Competition for the covering-over of the railway line and housing in L’Hospitalet
- House of the Seven Summits, La Puebla de Vallbona, Valencia 1997
- Scape House. Housing for agricultural environments. Prototype, 1998
- Study for a plastic house. European Association of Plastics Manufacturers / European Space Agency, 1999