|Born||4 October 1983|
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
|Alma mater||Zurich University of the Arts|
Vicky Krieps (born October 4, 1983) is a Luxembourgish actress. She has starred in a number of American, Luxembourgish, French and German productions. She appeared in films, such as Hanna (2011), Two Lives (2012), A Most Wanted Man (2014), The Chambermaid Lynn (2014) and Colonia (2015). Krieps had a leading role in the Academy Award-winning film Phantom Thread (2017). She has starred in the films, Gutland (2017), The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018) and The Last Vermeer (2019). She played Simone Strasser in the war drama series Das Boot and received a German Television Award.
Krieps was born in Luxembourg City, the daughter of a Luxembourgish father, who managed a film distribution company, and of a German mother. She is the granddaughter of Luxembourg politician and war-time member of the Luxembourg Resistance, Robert Krieps. Krieps had her first acting experiences at the Lycée de Garçons secondary school in Luxembourg, receiving training at the Conservatoire of Luxembourg City. In 2004, she was far from convinced that her career would be her future. Rather than enrolling in one of the drama schools, she participated in a social project at the primary school of a South African township near Knysna. This confirmed her resolve to study acting, with the goal of performing on theatre stages. She enrolled in the Zurich University of the Arts (Zürcher Hochschule der Künste) while gathering acting experience at the Zurich playhouse (Schauspielhaus Zürich).
Krieps has played numerous roles in Luxembourgish productions and Luxembourgish-foreign coproductions before taking on increasingly important roles in foreign productions, such as Hanna (2011), the biopic Rommel (2013), Before the Winter Chill (2013) and the feature film Elly Beinhorn – Alleinflug, a biopic about the German aviation pioneer Elly Beinhorn. In 2017, she had her first leading English role in Phantom Thread, opposite Daniel Day-Lewis. Receiving critical acclaim for her portrayal of Alma, Dan Jolin of Empire stated that Krieps "can hold her own opposite a titan like Day-Lewis," while David Edelstein of Vulture wrote that she is "bewitchingly lucent, her face just masklike enough to make our sudden awareness of all her dark thoughts a shock."
Krieps played the publisher of the fictional Millennium magazine for the sequel film The Girl in the Spider's Web. She played the morally compromised Alsatian interpreter in the war television series Das Boot, and subsequently in its second series.
|2008||La nuit passée||Christina|
|2009||X on a Map||Ana|
|2009||House of Boys||Flower Shop Girl|
|2011||If Not Us, Who?||Dörte|
|2011||Tatort: Eine bessere Welt||Mariam Sert||Crime scene: A Better World|
|2012||Measuring the World||Johanna Gauß|
|2012||The Treasure Knights and the Secret of Melusina||Marie|
|2012||Rommel||Comtesse de La Rochefoucauld|
|2012||Two Lives||Kathrin Lehnhaber|
|2013||Before the Winter Chill||Caroline|
|2014||Elly Beinhorn – Alleinflug||Elly Beinhorn||Elly Beinhorn – solo flight|
|2014||A Most Wanted Man||Niki|
|2014||Das Zeugenhaus||Marie-Claude Vaillant-Couturier||The Witness House|
|2014||The Chambermaid Lynn||Lynn|
|2015||Tag der Wahrheit||Ursel||Day of Truth|
|2015||Mon cher petit village||Elisabeth|
|2015||Pitter Patter Goes My Heart||Lisa|
|2016||Was hat uns bloß so ruiniert||Stella||We Used to Be Cool|
|2017||The Young Karl Marx||Jenny von Westphalen|
|2017||Phantom Thread||Alma Elson|
|2018||The Girl in the Spider's Web||Erika Berger|
|2018||Das Boot||Simone Strasser||TV series|
|2019||The Last Vermeer||Minna Holberg|
Awards and nominations
|2008||Budapest Short Film Festival||Best Youngster Award||La nuit passée||Won|||
|2012||Luxembourg Film Award||Young Newcomer Award||Herself||Won|||
- Leimann, Eric; Probst, Matthias (2014). "Pionierin der Lüfte. Vicky Krieps als Elly Beinhorn". Télécran (in German). No. 14. p. 38.
- Kellaway, Kate (21 January 2018). "Actor Vicky Krieps: 'I spent a whole day staring into greenery to avoid Daniel Day-Lewis'". The Guardian.
- Scheffen, Jean-Louis. "Vicky und der Schmetterling". Télécran (in German).
- Scott, A. O. (24 December 2017). "Daniel Day-Lewis Sews Up Another Great Performance in 'Phantom Thread'". The New York Times. p. C6.
- Kroll, Justin (2018-02-08). "'Phantom Thread' Star Vicky Krieps Joins 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- Jolin, Dan. "Phantom Thread". Empire. Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- Edelstein, David. "Phantom Thread Underscores the Great Tragedy of Daniel Day-Lewis's Retirement". Vulture. Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- Kroll, Justin (2018-02-08). "'Phantom Thread' Star Vicky Krieps Joins 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- Hale, Mike (2019-06-16). "Review: Rebooting 'Das Boot' on Land And Sea". New York Times. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- Wallace, Rick (30 December 2017). "Five Things You Didn't Know About Vicky Krieps". TVOvermind.
- "Prix du Jeune Espoir". Lëtzebuerger Filmpräis (in French). 17 January 2014.