Krieps at the 2018 Berlin Film Festival
|Alma mater||Zurich University of the Arts|
Vicky Krieps (born 4 October 1983) is a Luxembourger actress, who has starred in a number of Luxembourg, French and German productions. She played a leading role in the Academy Award-winning film Phantom Thread.
Life and career
Krieps was born in Luxembourg City, the daughter of a Luxembourger father, who managed a film distribution company, and of a German mother. She is the granddaughter of Luxembourg politician and war-time member of the Luxembourg Resistance, Robert Krieps. Krieps had her first acting experiences at the Lycée de Garçons secondary school in Luxembourg, also receiving training at the Conservatoire of Luxembourg City. In 2004, she was far from convinced that an acting career would be her future. Rather than enrolling in one of the drama schools, she participated in a social project at the primary school of a South African township near Knysna. This confirmed her resolve to study acting, with the goal of performing on theatre stages. She enrolled in the Zurich University of the Arts (Zürcher Hochschule der Künste) while gathering acting experience at the Zurich playhouse (Schauspielhaus Zürich).
Krieps has played numerous roles in Luxembourgish productions and Luxembourgish-foreign coproductions before taking on increasingly important roles in foreign productions, such as Hanna (2011), the biopic Rommel (2013), Before the Winter Chill (2013) and the feature film Elly Beinhorn – Alleinflug, a biopic about the German aviation pioneer Elly Beinhorn. In 2017, she had her first leading English role, opposite Daniel Day-Lewis, in Phantom Thread. Receiving critical acclaim for her portrayal of Alma, Dan Jolin of Empire stated that Krieps "can hold her own opposite a titan like Day-Lewis," while David Edelstein of Vulture wrote that she is "bewitchingly lucent, her face just masklike enough to make our sudden awareness of all her dark thoughts a shock."
- 2008 – Budapest Short Film Festival-Best Youngster Award for "La nuit passée" by Eileen Byrne
- 2012 – Lëtzebuerger Filmpräis-Prix du jeune espoir (Luxembourg Film Award-Young Newcomer Award)
- 2008 – La nuit passée as Christina
- 2009 – X on a Map as Ana
- 2009 – House of Boys as Flower Shop Girl
- 2011 – Anonymous as Bessie Vavasour
- 2011 – If Not Us, Who? as Dörte
- 2011 – Hanna as Johanna Zadek
- 2011 – Tatort – Eine bessere Welt (A Better World) as Mariam Sert
- 2012 – D'Belle Époque as Belle
- 2012 – Formentera as Mara
- 2012 – Measuring the World as Johanna Gauß
- 2012 – The Treasure Knights and the Secret of Melusina as Marie
- 2012 – Rommel as Comtesse de La Rochefoucauld
- 2012 – Two Lives as Kathrin Lehnhaber
- 2013 – Möbius as Olga
- 2013 – Before the Winter Chill as Caroline
- 2014 – Elly Beinhorn – Alleinflug (Elly Beinhorn – solo flight) as Elly Beinhorn
- 2014 – A Most Wanted Man as Niki
- 2014 – Das Zeugenhaus as Marie-Claude Vaillant-Couturier
- 2014 – The Chambermaid Lynn as Lyn
- 2015 – Colonia Dignidad as Ursel
- 2015 – Tag der Wahrheit as Marie Hoffmann
- 2015 – Mon cher petit village (German: Das gespaltene Dorf) as Elisabeth
- 2015 – Pitter Patter Goes My Heart as Lisa
- 2016 – We Used to Be Cool (German: Was hat uns bloß so ruiniert) as Stella
- 2017 - The Young Karl Marx as Jenny von Westphalen
- 2017 – Phantom Thread as Alma Elson
- 2017 – Gutland as Lucy Loschetter
- 2018 – The Girl in the Spider's Web as Erika Berger
- 2018 – Das Boot (TV series) as Simone Strasser
- 2019 – Bergman Island as Chris
- 2020 - Harry Haft
- TBA - Born to Be Murdered
- Leimann, Eric; Probst, Matthias (2014). "Pionierin der Lüfte. Vicky Krieps als Elly Beinhorn". Télécran (in German). No. 14. p. 38.
- Kellaway, Kate (21 January 2018). "Actor Vicky Krieps: 'I spent a whole day staring into greenery to avoid Daniel Day-Lewis'". The Guardian.
- Scheffen, Jean-Louis. "Vicky und der Schmetterling". Télécran (in German).
- Scott, A. O. (24 December 2017). "Daniel Day-Lewis Sews Up Another Great Performance in 'Phantom Thread'". The New York Times. p. C6.
- Jolin, Dan. "Phantom Thread". Empire. Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- Edelstein, David. "Phantom Thread Underscores the Great Tragedy of Daniel Day-Lewis's Retirement". Vulture. Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- Kroll, Justin (2018-02-08). "'Phantom Thread' Star Vicky Krieps Joins 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- Wallace, Rick (30 December 2017). "Five Things You Didn't Know About Vicky Krieps". TVOvermind.
- "Prix du Jeune Espoir". Lëtzebuerger Filmpräis (in French). 17 January 2014.