Victor Vadimovich Batyrev (Виктор Вадимович Батырев, born 21 August 1961, Moscow) is a Russian mathematician, specializing in algebraic and arithmetic geometry and its applications to mathematical physics. He is a professor at the University of Tübingen.
Batyrev studied mathematics from 1978 to 1985 at Moscow State University. From 1991 he was at the University of Essen, where he earned his habilitation in 1993. Since 1996 he has been a professor at the University of Tübingen.
He received in 1994 the Gottschalk-Diederich-Baedeker Prize. In 1995 he received the Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Prize for his habilitation thesis Hodge Theory of Hypersurfaces in Toric Varieties and Recent Developments in Quantum Physics. In 1998 he was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Berlin and gave a talk Mirror Symmetry and Toric Geometry. In 2003 he was elected a member of the Heidelberger Akademie der Wissenschaften.
- with Yuri Manin: "Sur le nombre des points rationnels de hauté borné des variétés algébriques". Mathematische Annalen. 286: 27–43. 1990. doi:10.1007/bf01453564.
- "Quantum cohomology rings of toric manifolds". 1993. arXiv: . Bibcode:1993alg.geom.10004B.
- "Dual polyhedra and mirror symmetry for Calabi–Yau hypersurfaces in toric varieties". J. Algebraic Geometrie: 493–535. 1994. arXiv: . Bibcode:1993alg.geom.10003B.
- with Lev Borisov: "Mirror duality and string theoretic Hodge numbers". Inv. Math. 126: 183–203. 1996. arXiv: . Bibcode:1996InMat.126..183B. doi:10.1007/s002220050093.
- with Dimitrios I. Dais: "Strong McKay correspondence, string-theoretic Hodge numbers and mirror symmetry". Topology. 35 (4): 901–929. 1996. doi:10.1016/0040-9383(95)00051-8.
- "Stringy Hodge numbers of varieties with Gorenstein canonical singularities". 1997. arXiv: . Bibcode:1997alg.geom.11008B.
- with Yuri Tschinkel: "Manin's conjecture for toric manifolds". J. Algebraic Geometry. 7: 15–53. 1998. arXiv: . Bibcode:1995alg.geom.10014B.
- Jahrbuch der Heidelberger Akademie der Wissenschaften 2010
- homepage of Victor Batyrev at the University of Tübingen
- page for Batyrev at homepage of Heidelberger Akademie der Wissenschaften