Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute (VCCRI) is an independent, not-for-profit research facility, based in Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia. The institute was founded in memory of pioneering cardiac surgeon Dr. Victor Chang and his passionate belief in the power of discovery.
Established on 15 February 1994, approximately three years after Dr. Chang's death, and opened by then Prime Minister Paul Keating, the Institute has become a world-class research and research training facility.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2013)|
The VCCRI was established on 15 February 1994 and named the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute in honour of Dr. Victor Chang, who, on 4 July 1991, was fatally shot. Chang passionately believed in the ability for research to better the lives of many more than surgery ever could, as reflected in the dearth of hearts available for transplantation. Prime Minister Paul Keating opened the Institute and delivered an address.
On 27 February 1995, the Institute was incorporated as an independent research facility with the Hon. Neville Wran AC, QC as its Chairman.
Location and facilities
The VCCRI, located within the purpose-built Lowy Packer Building, is a major partner in the St Vincent's Hospital Research Precinct in Darlinghurst, Sydney. Other partners in the precinct are the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, the St Vincent's Centre for Applied Medical Research, and St Vincent's Hospital itself. The Institute was funded by grants from the Government of Australia and a donation from the Australian businessman and philanthropist Kerry Packer. The Lowy Packer Building was funded by the grants from the Government of Australia and the Government of New South Wales and donations from the Atlantic Philanthropies, the Lowy and Packer families, the National Australia Bank, ANZ Bank, Citigroup, and other donors. The budget for the building was A$80 m.
The VCCRI has state-of-the-art research laboratories and support facilities.
Structure and organisation
|This section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (August 2013)|
Its team of over 150 full-time staff work across five main Research Divisions – Cardiac Physiology & Transplantation, Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, Molecular Cardiology & Biophysics, Molecular Genetics, and Structural & Computational Biology. The Institute holds itself to the highest standards of excellence in research, research training and efforts to translate each new discovery into practical medical applications. which provides state-of-the-art research laboratories and support facilities
The Victor Chang Institute is also affiliated with the University of New South Wales, accredited by Australia’s National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) as an independent biomedical research facility; and is a member of the Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes (AAMRI).
The Institute is governed by its own Board of Directors, chaired by Mr Steven Lowy AM. The Institute is also a Research Ministry within the Mary Aikenhead Ministries.
- Prof. Robert M. Graham AO
- "Surgeon Victor Chang remembered". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. 3 July 2011.
- Keating, Paul (15 February 1994). "Address by the Prime Minister, the Hon. P. J. Keating MP, to the Launch of the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, Sydney, February 15, 1994" (PDF).
- Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute (2009). "2009 Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute Annual Review" (PDF). Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.
- "Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute Lowy Packer Building - Architecture Gallery". Australian Institute of Architects.
- "Chang's son continues heart legacy". Sunday Telegraph. 3 July 2011.
- "Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute Lowy Packer Building". Jackson Architecture. 2008.
- "Prof. Robert M. Graham AO". Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.
- "Victor Chang Committees". Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.
- "Prof. Jamie Vanderberg". Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.
- "Prof. Roland Stocker". Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.