This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Victor William Guillemin (born 1937 in Boston) is a mathematician working in the field of symplectic geometry, who has also made contributions to the fields of microlocal analysis, spectral theory, and mathematical physics. He has supervised over 40 doctoral students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he is a tenured Professor in the Department of Mathematics.
Guillemin received a Ph.D. in mathematics from Harvard University in 1962, after earlier completing his B. A. at Harvard in 1959, as well as an M. A. at the University of Chicago in 1960. His thesis, entitled Theory of Finite G-Structures, was written under the direction of Shlomo Sternberg.
He is the author or co-author of numerous books and monographs, including a widely used textbook on differential topology, written jointly with Alan Pollack.
Awards and honors
He was elected to the United States National Academy of Sciences in 1985. In 2003, he was awarded the Leroy P. Steele Prize for Lifetime Achievement by the American Mathematical Society. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Guillemin, Victor & Pollack, Alan (1974). Differential topology. New York, NY: Prentice-Hall. ISBN 978-0-13-212605-2.
- Golubitsky, Martin and Guillemin, Victor (1974). Stable mappings and their singularities. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag. ISBN 978-0-387-90073-5. 
- Guillemin, Victor & Sternberg, Shlomo (1977). Geometric asymptotics. Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society. ISBN 0-8218-1514-8.; reprinted in 1990 as an on-line book
- Guillemin, V.: "The Radon transform on Zoll surfaces". Advances in Mathematics 22 (1976), 85–119.
- Guillemin, Victor & Sternberg, Shlomo (1986). Symplectic techniques in physics. Cambridge U. Press. ISBN 0-521-24866-3; xi+468 p.
- Guillemin, Victor (1989). Cosmology in (2+1)-dimensions, cyclic models, and deformations of M2,1 by Victor Guillemin. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-691-08513-7.
- National Academy of Sciences, Victor Guillemin, Mathematics, 1985
- American Mathematical Society, Leroy P. Steele Prizes, January 2003
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-19.
- Levine, Harold (1975). "Review of Analyse différentielle by Valentin Poenaru and Stable mappings and their singularities by M. Golubitsky and V. Guillemin" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 81 (5): 872–881. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1975-13868-7.
- Marsden, Jerrold E.; Weinstein, Alan (1979). "Review of Geometric asymptotics by Victor Guillemin and Shlomo Sternberg and Symplectic geometry and Fourier analysis by Nolan R. Wallach" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 1 (3): 545–553. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1979-14617-2.
- Duistermaat, J. J. (1988). "Review: Symplectic techniques in physics, by Victor Guillemin and Shlomo Sternberg" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 18 (1): 97–100. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1988-15620-0.
- Beem, John K. (1990). "Review of Cosmology in (2+1)-dimensions, cyclic models, and deformations of M2,1 by Victor Guillemin" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 23 (2): 616–617. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1990-16002-1.
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|