Lindelöf playing for Manchester United in 2017
|Full name||Victor Jörgen Nilsson Lindelöf|
|Date of birth||17 July 1994|
|Place of birth||Västerås, Sweden|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:54, 19 January 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 20 November 2018
Victor Jörgen Nilsson Lindelöf (Swedish pronunciation: [²lɪndɛˌløːv]; born 17 July 1994) is a Swedish professional footballer who plays as a defender for English club Manchester United and the Sweden national team. Mainly a centre-back, he can also play as a right-back.
Lindelöf began his career in Sweden at Västerås SK, making his debut in September 2010. In December 2011, he agreed to move to Benfica in Portugal, initially representing the club at youth and B levels. After making his first-team debut in September 2013, he continued to appear for the club at B level, while also winning three Primeira Liga titles. He joined Manchester United in July 2017.
Lindelöf has represented Sweden at under-17, under-19, under-21, and senior levels. He was a member of the under-21 side that won the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship. He made his senior international debut in March 2016 and represented his country at UEFA Euro 2016 and the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
In September 2010, at the age of 16, Lindelöf made his debut for Västerås SK, when the team won 3–0 against BK Forward. In the same season, he helped his team advance a step higher in the Swedish league system, as they were promoted to the second highest league.
On 1 December 2011, Lindelöf signed for Portuguese club Benfica, and on 8 June 2015, the contract was extended until 2020. In the 2012–13 season, he played for the youth team and won the Portuguese under-19 championship. On 19 October 2013, he debuted for the first team in a 1–0 Portuguese Cup win against CD Cinfães, playing the full match. In the 2013–14 season, he scored 2 goals in 33 matches for the reserve team. In the 2015–16 season, he returned to the first-team in a 1–0 win against Nacional in the Taça da Liga. On 16 February 2016, he played the entire match for Benfica in a 1–0 home win against Zenit Saint Petersburg in the first leg of UEFA Champions League's round of 16. Four days later, he scored his first goal for Benfica, in a 3–1 Primeira Liga victory at Paços de Ferreira. On 28 May 2017, he played in the Taça de Portugal final, which Benfica won over Vitória de Guimarães (2–1).
On 10 June 2017, Manchester United announced that they had agreed a deal with Benfica to sign Lindelöf for a fee of €35 million (with a potential €10 million in add-ons), pending the agreement of personal terms and the player passing a medical. Lindelöf passed his medical at the Trafford Training Centre on 14 June, with the Swede signing a four-year contract with the option of an extra year; Manchester United announced that the contract would begin on 1 July.
He made his official debut for the club against Real Madrid in the 2017 UEFA Super Cup. But it took about two months until his Premier League debut, brought on during added time against Liverpool on 14 October.
Although Lindelöf was not named in the final squad for the UEFA European Under-21 Championship, on 15 June 2015 he replaced defender Emil Krafth who was ruled out of the tournament after a back injury. He made his debut in the tournament in the first game against Italy. On 30 June 2015 he successfully converted Sweden's fifth and last penalty against Portugal in a 4–3 penalty shoot-out victory in the final to become European under-21 champion. He was named in the Team of the Tournament.
Lindelöf received his first call up to the senior Sweden squad in March 2016 for friendlies against Turkey and Czech Republic. He debuted for the country in a 2–1 away loss to Turkey on 24 March 2016.
He was selected in Sweden's squad for Euro 2016 in France, where he started all three of their group games, although Sweden failed to progress to the round of 16. Lindelöf was also selected in Sweden's 35-man provisional squad for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, but was prevented from participating in the tournament by his club Benfica, who believed that the involvement of their players in the Olympics would harm their chances for the following season.
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Europe||Other||Total|
|Västerås SK||2010||Division 1||1||0||—||—||—||—||1||0|
|Benfica B||2012–13||Segunda Liga||15||0||—||—||—||—||15||0|
|Manchester United||2017–18||Premier League||17||0||3||0||3||0||5||0||1[b]||0||29||0|
- As of match played 20 November 2018
- Scores and results list Sweden's goal tally first.
|1.||10 October 2016||Friends Arena, Solna||Bulgaria||3–0||3–0||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|2.||20 November 2018||Friends Arena, Solna||Russia||1–0||2–0||2018–19 UEFA Nations League B|
- Primeira Liga: 2013–14, 2015–16, 2016–17
- Taça de Portugal: 2013–14, 2016–17
- Taça da Liga: 2015–16
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2016
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2015
- Fotbollsgalan Best Defender: 2016
- UEFA Champions League Breakthrough XI: 2016
- Guldbollen: 2018
- "Squads for 2017/18 Premier League confirmed". Premier League. 1 September 2017. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia: List of players" (PDF). FIFA. 19 June 2018. p. 29. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- Gholam, Simeon (15 June 2017). "Who is Victor Lindelof? Manchester United's new signing assessed". Sky Sports. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Victor Nilsson Lindelöf vann årets back" [Victor Nilsson Lindelöf won defender of the year] (in Swedish). IK Franke. 22 November 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "VSK Fotboll klipper till med en ny back". VSK Fotboll. 12 September 2010.
- "VSK FOTBOLL TILL SUPERETTAN!". VSK Fotboll. 17 October 2010.
- "Storklubb värvar svensk 17–åring". Sportbladet. 1 December 2011.
- "Victor Lindelöf renova contrato" [Victor Lindelöf renews contract] (in Portuguese). S.L. Benfica. 8 June 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- "Lindelöf preparado para travar Bernardo Silva" [Lindelöf prepared to stop Bernardo Silva] (in Portuguese). UEFA. 23 June 2015. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Taça da Liga – 3ª Fase". ForaDeJogo.net.
- "Jonas strikes late to earn Benfica narrow win". UEFA.com. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Benfica: Lindelof celebra primeiro golo pela equipa principal". Maisfutebol (in Portuguese). 20 February 2016. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "A Bola - Jogo em direto".
- "Comunicado" [Communication] (PDF) (Press release) (in Portuguese). S.L. Benfica. 10 June 2017. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- "Reds agree transfer for Victor Lindelof". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. 10 June 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "UNITED COMPLETE SIGNING OF VICTOR LINDELOF". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. 14 June 2017. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Victor Lindelof: Manchester United sign £31m Benfica defender". BBC Sport. 14 June 2017. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho slammed by Rio Ferdinand for bringing Victor Lindelof on in the 92nd minute against Liverpool". Metro. 14 October 2017. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "Krafth missar U21-EM" (in Swedish). Svenskfotboll. 15 June 2015. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Sweden see off Portugal on penalties". UEFA. 30 June 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "The official Under-21 Team of the Tournament". UEFA.com. 1 July 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Hamren names Sweden squad for Turkey, Czech Rep friendlies". internationalsoccerteams.com. 18 March 2016. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Lindelof estreia-se pela seleção principal da Suécia com derrota" [Lindelof debuts for Sweden's main squad with defeat]. Maisfutebol (in Portuguese). 24 March 2016. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- "Ericsons bruttotrupp till OS – svenskfotboll.se". svenskfotboll.se. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "Nilsson Lindelöf stoppas från OS".
- "Sweden 3–0 Bulgaria". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "Revealed: Every World Cup 2018 squad - 23-man & preliminary lists & when will they be announced? - Goal.com".
- Gadd, Mick (22 June 2017). "Victor Lindelof and Maja Nilsson announce their engagement in style". Daily Mirror.
- "Fotbollsstjärnans kärleksord till hustrun Maja".
- Victor Lindelöf at ForaDeJogo. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- Victor Lindelöf at Soccerway. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- "Victor Lindelöf". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "OFICIAL: Lindelof renova com o Benfica". Maisfutebol. 8 June 2015.
- "Lindelof exulta com título europeu" [Lindelof exults with European title] (in Portuguese). A Bola. 30 June 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Här är alla pristagare i Fotbollsgalan 2016" [Here are all the prize winners in the Fotbollsgalan 2016]. DN.se (in Swedish). 21 November 2016. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Our Champions League breakthrough team of 2016". UEFA.com. 24 December 2016. Retrieved 24 December 2016.
- "Lindelöf vinner Guldbollen 2018". aftonbladet.se (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. 12 November 2018. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Victor Lindelöf.|