Виктор Абрамович Залгаллер
Victor Abramovich Zalgaller
25 December 1920
|Died||2 October 2020 (aged 99)|
Victor (Viktor) Abramovich Zalgaller (Hebrew: ויקטור אבּרמוביץ' זלגלר; Russian: Виктор Абрамович Залгаллер; 25 December 1920 – 2 October 2020) was a Russian-Israeli mathematician in the fields of geometry and optimization. He is best known for the results he achieved on convex polyhedra, linear and dynamic programming, isoperimetry, and differential geometry.
Zalgaller was born in Parfino, Novgorod Governorate on 25 December 1920. In 1936, he was one of the winners of the Leningrad Mathematics Olympiads for high school students. He started his studies at the Leningrad State University, however, World War II intervened in 1941, and Zalgaller joined the Red Army. He took part in the defence of Leningrad, and in 1945 marched into Germany.
He worked as a teacher at the Saint Petersburg Lyceum 239, and received his 1963 doctoral dissertation on polyhedra with the aid of his high school students who wrote the computer programs for the calculation.
Zalgaller did his early work under direction of A. D. Alexandrov and Leonid Kantorovich. He wrote joint monographs with both of them. His later monograph Geometric Inequalities (joint with Yu. Burago) is still the main reference in the field.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Victor Zalgaller.|
- "Виктор Залгаллер (Израиль)". Vestnik (in Russian). Retrieved 3 October 2020.
- "Life Begins at 80". Weizmann Institute of Science. 27 September 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2020.
- "Скончался В.А.Залгаллер". Saint Petersburg Lyceum 239 (in Russian). Retrieved 3 October 2020.
- "Victor Abramovich Zalgaller". Math Genealogy. Retrieved 3 October 2020.
- V. A. Aleksandrov, et al. Viktor Abramovich Zalgaller (on his 80th birthday), Russian Mathematical Surveys, Vol. 56 (2001), 1013–1014 (see here for a Russian version).
- Yu. D. Burago, et al. Viktor Abramovich Zalgaller (on his 80th birthday), J. Math. Sci. (N. Y.) J. Math. Sci. (N.Y.) Vol. 119 (2004), 129–132 (see here for a Russian version).
- M. Z. Solomyak, A few words about Viktor Abramovich Zalgaller, J. Math. Sci. (N.Y.) Vol. 119 (2004), 138–140.
- S. S. Kutateladze, A Tribute to the Philanthropist and Geometer.
- List of papers of V. A. Zalgaller, available here (mostly in Russian).
- Zalgaller, Victor; Burago, Yuri (February 1988). Geometric Inequalities. Springer Verlag. p. 356pp. ISBN 3-540-13615-0.