Victor (Viktor) Abramovich Zalgaller (Hebrew: ויקטור אבּרמוביץ' זלגלר; Russian: Виктор Абрамович Залгаллер; born on December 25, 1920 in Parfino, Novgorod Governorate) is a mathematician in the fields of geometry and optimization. He is best known for his results on convex polyhedra, linear and dynamic programming, isoperimetry, and differential geometry.
Zalgaller did his early work under direction of A. D. Alexandrov and Leonid Kantorovich. He wrote joint monographs with both of them. His later monograph Geometric Inequalities (joint with Yu. Burago) is still the main reference in the field.
Zalgaller lived in Saint Petersburg most of his life, having studied and worked at the Leningrad State University and the Steklov Institute of Mathematics (Saint Petersburg branch). In 1999 he immigrated to Israel.
- V. A. Aleksandrov, et al. Viktor Abramovich Zalgaller (on his 80th birthday), Russian Mathematical Surveys, Vol. 56 (2001), 1013–1014 (see here for a Russian version).
- Yu. D. Burago, et al. Viktor Abramovich Zalgaller (on his 80th birthday), J. Math. Sci. (N. Y.) J. Math. Sci. (N.Y.) Vol. 119 (2004), 129–132 (see here for a Russian version).
- M. Z. Solomyak, A few words about Viktor Abramovich Zalgaller, J. Math. Sci. (N.Y.) Vol. 119 (2004), 138–140.
- S. S. Kutateladze A Tribute to the Philanthropist and Geometer.
- List of papers of V. A. Zalgaller, available here (mostly in Russian).
- Zalgaller, Victor; Burago, Yuri (February 1988). Geometric Inequalities. Springer Verlag. p. 356pp. ISBN 3-540-13615-0.
- Victor Zalgaller at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Intrinsic Geometry of Surfaces — book by A.D Alexandrov and V.A. Zalgaller (AMS Online Book, originally translated in 1967).
- Personal war memoir (in Russian).
- Lecture read in 1999 in St.Petersburg, Russia (video, in Russian)
|This article about an Israeli scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Russian mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|