Blackpool Victoria Hospital
|Blackpool Victoria Hospital|
|Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||Blackpool, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Hospital type||District General|
|Affiliated university||University of Liverpool|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Blackpool Victoria Hospital, known locally as "The Vic", is the main hospital for Blackpool and the Fylde Coast in Lancashire, England. The hospital is part of the Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
The Lancashire Cardiac Centre is situated at the hospital, the unit provides specialist Cardiology and Cardiothoracic surgery services for Lancashire and Cumbria. The unit also provides a Percutaneous coronary intervention service for the region which can be accessed directly by ambulance crews.
The hospital has been shown in a major BBC1 documentary, Blackpool Medics: 10 Days in May which featured the work of the hospital and the North West Ambulance Service. The second series was broadcast in January 2008.
The Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust was established on 1 December 2007. The Trust serves a local population on the Fylde coast of about 330,000 residents and the 12 million holidaymakers who visit the area each year.
The hospital was originally located on Whitegate Drive, and was opened in 1894. The hospital was subsequently moved to East Park Drive. The foundation stone of the new building was laid by Lord Derby on 9 June 1933.
On 25 July 2010 a nurse named Jane Clough was stabbed to death in the hospital car park. Her ex-boyfriend Jonathan Vass, an ambulance technician, was later found guilty of her murder.
- "Cardiac Care Facilities". Downing Street. Archived from the original on 10 April 2008. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Blackpool Medics". Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre Hospitals. Archived from the original on 4 October 2008. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "About our Trust: Introduction". Victoria Hospital (Blackpool). Retrieved 9 April 2008.
- "History of Blackpool". Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Jane Clough's Family in Court Demo over 'Freed Killer'", BBC News, BBC, 14 October 2010, retrieved 22 April 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.|