||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Playboy centerfold appearance|
|Preceded by||DeDe Lind|
|Succeeded by||Reagan Wilson|
|Playboy Playmate of the Year|
|Preceded by||Lisa Baker|
|Succeeded by||Connie Kreski|
September 26, 1944
San Francisco, US
|Measurements||Bust: 36 in (91 cm) (910 mm)
Waist: 21 in (53 cm) (530 mm)
Hips: 35 in (89 cm) (890 mm)
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||109 lb (49 kg; 7.8 st)|
Background and early career
Vetri was born in San Francisco, California to parents who were immigrants from Italy. She attended Hollywood High School in Hollywood, California between 1959 and 1963 and later studied art at Los Angeles City College.1963 she married her Hollywood High sweetheart that lasted less than one year but long enough to get what she wanted: a son, Bret Vetri, born September 8, 1963, She began acting and modeling in her teens.
Although a singer and dancer, Vetri rejected the role of the voice dub for Natalie Wood in West Side Story (1961). Of this she remarked: "I did not want to be known as a standby." (Marni Nixon ultimately accepted the work.) She auditioned for the title role in the Stanley Kubrick adaptation of Lolita, but the role went to Sue Lyon instead.
Beginning in 1962, using the professional name Angela Dorian, Vetri began working steadily in supporting guest roles on television. Credits included episodes of Hawaiian Eye and others. In 1965, Vetri played Debbie Conrad in the title role of the Perry Mason episode "The Case of the Golden Girls". She was also writing poetry and playing guitar during this period.
Using the name Angela Dorian, Vetri was chosen as Playboy's Playmate of the Month for the September 1967 issue and subsequently was the 1968 Playmate of the Year. Her centerfold was photographed by Carl Gunther. Vetri won US$20,000 in prizes when she was selected Playmate of the Year. Among these were a new car (an all pink 1968 AMC AMX), gold watch, skis and a ski outfit, a complete wardrobe, a movie camera, a typewriter, a tape recorder, a stereo, and a guitar. A nude photo of her (along with fellow playmates Leslie Bianchini, Reagan Wilson, and Cynthia Myers) was inserted into Apollo 12 Extra-vehicular activity astronaut cuff checklists by pranksters at NASA.
In late 1960s films
Vetri appeared briefly in Rosemary's Baby, where she was credited as Angela Dorian. In one scene, Rosemary (Mia Farrow) remarks of her character, Teresa "Terry" Gionoffrio, that she resembles the actress Victoria Vetri.
In January 1969, Vetri signed a multi-picture contract with Warner Bros.-Seven Arts and was given a starring role in When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. She refused to have her hair turned blonde from its natural auburn for the film. The story required a blonde, so Vetri demanded a wig instead. Columnist Hy Gardner nominated Vetri as "a new sex symbol on the Hollywood horizon" in March 1971. Ironically, one of her most oft-recalled roles was a brief non-speaking bit: the human form of a shape-shifting cat in a Star Trek episode ("Assignment: Earth").
Vetri posed topless for the April 1984 Playboy pictorial Playmates Forever! Part Two.
In Tom Clancy's 2004 biography of Gen. Tony Zinni, USMC (Ret.), Battle Ready (Chapter 2), Zinni remarks on having received a copy of the September 1967 Playboy Centerfold foldout from a group of other advisers for his birthday. He still has it as a memento of his time in Vietnam.
Vetri married Bruce Rathgeb in 1986, and came to be known legally as Victoria Rathgeb as a direct result of the marriage. They were not known to have had any children.
Attempted manslaughter conviction
Vetri was charged with attempted murder after allegedly shooting Rathgeb from close range inside the Hollywood apartment they were sharing at the time after an argument on Saturday, October 16, 2010.
The Los Angeles Police Department’s Hollywood Division arrested Vetri that day. She was jailed on US$1.53 million bail. The judge refused to reduce it, pending the trial. In January 2011, the judge also denied her attorney's request for a reduction of the charge of attempted murder. She was ordered to stand trial on that charge.
Between January and September 2011, the charge against Vetri was reduced to attempted voluntary manslaughter. She entered a plea of no contest. The judge sentenced her to nine years in state prison.
- The Pigeon That Took Rome (1962) - Undetermined Role (uncredited)
- Kings of the Sun (1963) - Ixzubin (as Victoria Vettri)
- Chuka (1967) - Señorita Helena Chavez (as Angela Dorian)
- Rosemary's Baby (1968) - Terry (as Angela Dorian)
- The Pigeon (1969) (TV) - Barbara Hagen
- When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970) - Sanna
- Night Chase (1970) (TV) - Beverly Dorn
- Incident In San Francisco (1971) (TV)
- Group Marriage (1973) - Jan
- Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973) - Julie Zorn
Television guest appearances
- Cheyenne playing "White Bird" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "Johnny Brassbuttons" (episode # 7.11) December 3, 1962
- The Gallant Men playing "Sister Catherine" in episode: "A Place to Die" (episode # 1.12) December 21, 1962
- The Gallant Men playing "Teresa Borrelli" in episode: "Next of Kin" (episode # 1.19) February 9, 1963
- Destry playing "Malya" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "Ride to Rio Verde" (episode # 1.9) April 10, 1964
- Wagon Train playing "Maria" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "The Zebedee Titus Story" (episode # 7.31) April 20, 1964
- Wagon Train playing "Marie" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "The Jarbo Pierce Story" (episode # 8.26) May 2, 1965
- McHale's Navy playing "Gina" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "Marriage, McHale Style" (episode # 4.3) September 28, 1965
- Bonanza playing "Essie" in episode: "Devil on Her Shoulder" (episode # 7.6) October 17, 1965
- Perry Mason playing "Debbie Conrad" in episode: "The Case of the Golden Girls" (episode # 9.14) December 19, 1965
- Run for Your Life playing "Carmen" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "Carnival Ends at Midnight" (episode # 1.16) January 10, 1966
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. playing "Charisma Highcloud" in episode: "The Indian Affairs Affair" (episode # 2.30) April 15, 1966
- The Big Valley playing "Teresa" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "Legend of a General: Part 1" (episode # 2.2) September 19, 1966
- The Big Valley playing "Teresa" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "Legend of a General: Part 2" (episode # 2.3) September 26, 1966
- Hogan's Heroes playing "Carla" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "The Crittendon Plan" (episode # 3.1) September 9, 1967
- Death Valley Days playing "Sacajawea" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "The Girl Who Walked the West" (episode # 16.5) November 4, 1967
- Batman playing "Florence of Arabia" (as Angela Dorian) in episode: "I'll Be a Mummy's Uncle" (episode # 3.23) February 22, 1968
- Star Trek playing "Isis" in human form in the episode "Assignment: Earth" (episode # 2.26) March 29, 1968 (uncredited)
- The Courtship of Eddie's Father playing "Dolly" in episode: "Mrs. Livingston, I Presume" (episode # 1.1) September 17, 1969
- Land of the Giants playing "Lisa" in episode: "The Marionettes" (episode # 2.23) March 1, 1970
- Daniel Boone playing "Susan Pepper" in episode: "Noblesse Oblige" (episode # 6.22) March 26, 1970
- Mission: Impossible playing "Eve Zembra" in episode: "Squeeze Play" (episode # 5.12) December 12, 1970
- Lucas Tanner playing "Connie" in episode: "Bonus Baby" (episode # 1.12) January 8, 1975
- "1968 AMC Playmate of the Year AMX - Jay Leno's Garage". YouTube. 2015-04-19. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Playboy Playmates pranked into Apollo 12 mission checklists - Boing Boing". boingboing.net. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- "Image: a12.cdrcuf08.jpg, (630 × 432 px)". hq.nasa.gov. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- (Paramount Home Video DVD, at time code 00:12:50)
- "Victoria Vetri - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- Tom Weaver, "Val Guest", Double Feature Creature Attack: A Monster Merger of Two More Volumes of Classic Interviews McFarland, 2003 p 122
- "1968 Playmate Angela Dorian Shot Her Boyfriend? | TMZ.com". tmz.com. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- "Trial Ordered For Ex-Playmate In Husband’s Shooting « CBS Los Angeles". losangeles.cbslocal.com. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- "Ex-Playmate gets 9 years for wounding husband | accessAtlanta". web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2012-03-23. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- The Cedar Rapids, Iowa Gazette, Hollywood Picks Playmate Angela, January 26, 1969, Page 69.
- Lima, Ohio News, Miss Mooney Movie Stars Repeats Vows Following New Pattern, August 10, 1969, Page 12E.
- Long Beach, California Independent, Miss Dorian Makes Debut as Playmate, April 11, 1968, Page 18.
- Long Beach Independent Press-Telegram, AMX To Playmate, April 28, 1968, Page 81.
- Long Beach Press-Telegram, Southland Sunday, March 7, 1971, Page 106.