Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby
The Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby (VGLRL) is the peak lobby group in Victoria, Australia for the attainment of equality, human rights and social justice for the entire Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (GLBTI) community.
VGLRL was created in October 1997, following presentation of a report to a public meeting which proposed a model for a Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby. This model was accepted, and 21 days later the Lobby held its first annual general meeting, elected a management committee, adopted the rules of association, and began the process of incorporation.
In 2009, it criticized the application of the instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders in Australian dioceses. VGLRL also initiated the national Equal Love campaign, in an effort to win marriage rights for Australian gay and lesbian couples.
The VGLRL Committee is voted in by its membership at an annual general meeting scheduled in the Spring of each year. The Committee of Management is responsible for the day-to-day running of the organisation, and each member usually heads a portfolio or working group.
The Committee is made up of up to 10 current VGLRL members - four of whom must be men who identify as gay, bisexual, queer or same sex attracted, four women who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, Committee of Management is responsible for the day-to-day running of the organisation, and each member usually heads a portfolio or working group.
Current Committee members include:
- Anna Brown
- Dale Baldock
- Sally Goldner
- Brigitte Lewis
- Greg Garrett
- Glyn Devlin
- Holly Cooper
- Lafitani Sotiriou
- Luke Gahan
- Stephanie Mayne
The current convenor is Anna Brown
- Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby, retrieved 2008-10-15
- "New laws to mirror marriage rights for gay couples", Herald Sun, 5 December 2007, retrieved 2008-10-15
- Nader, Carol (1 May 2008), "Equality may lead to cut in payments", The Age, retrieved 2008-10-15
- "Vic: Gays live in fear, report", AAP, 20 June 2000, retrieved 2008-10-15
- Melbourne Catholic Church to 'test' potential priests for homosexuality
- About Equal Love, retrieved 2010-01-27
- Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby — official website