Victory Township, Michigan
|Victory Township, Michigan|
|• Total||36.5 sq mi (94.4 km2)|
|• Land||35.9 sq mi (93.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|Elevation||673 ft (205 m)|
|• Density||40.2/sq mi (15.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627200|
- Chapple Corners was an unincorporated community on the Big Sable River. It was founded in 1864 and had a post office from 1874 until 1881.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.5 square miles (95 km2), of which 35.9 square miles (93 km2) is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2) (1.54%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,444 people, 497 households, and 376 families residing in the township. The population density was 40.2 per square mile (15.5/km²). There were 572 housing units at an average density of 15.9 per square mile (6.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.91% White, 0.55% African American, 0.83% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.97% from other races, and 1.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.87% of the population.
There were 497 households out of which 34.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.6% were married couples living together, 6.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.3% were non-families. 20.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.6% under the age of 18, 6.4% from 18 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 15.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 99.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $41,667, and the median income for a family was $44,402. Males had a median income of $32,391 versus $21,591 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,140. About 7.0% of families and 7.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.5% of those under age 18 and 7.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Victory Township, Michigan
- "Focus on our history: How county was named". Ludington Daily News. October 3, 1987. p. 2. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- Surrarrer, G. Pearl (Jun 16, 1949). "Place names of county make interesting story". Ludington Daily News. p. 7. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 110