|Owner:||Trans Viking Icebreaking & Offshore AS|
|Port of registry:||Skärhamn, Sweden|
|Identification:||IMO number: 9199646|
|Propulsion:||18,300 HP / 13, 440 kW|
Vidar Viking is an icebreaker and anchor handling tug. She is owned and operated by a Norwegian company, Trans Viking, but she is registered in Sweden. She has two sister ships, Tor Viking and Balder Viking. She has been employed supplying offshore arctic petroleum drilling expedition.
In late January 2010 the Swedish Maritime Administration called for Vidar Viking and Tor Viking to serve as icebreakers in the Baltic Sea. The vessels are chartered on a contingency bases — where Trans Viking's parent company, Transatlantic, pays a basic flat fee for the vessels to be available, within ten days, without regard to whether they are used. Their previous usage was in 2007. The contract expires in 2015.
In February 2010 Balder Viking, Vidar Viking and Loke Viking were chartered by Edinburgh-based oil company Cairn Energy for four months, starting in June 2010, for drilling operations in Baffin Bay.
- "AHTS/Icebreaker Vidar Viking - Main Characteristics". Archived from the original on November 21, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-01.
- "Vidar Viking". Arctic Logistics Information And Support. Archived from the original on 2008-08-02. Retrieved 2009-02-01.
- "Balder Viking". Arctic Logistics Information And Support. Archived from the original on 2008-08-02. Retrieved 2009-02-01.
- "TransAtlantic's icebreakers are called in for icebreaking in Baltic Sea". PR Inside. 2010-01-29. Archived from the original on 2010-02-18.
TransAtlantic has a long-term contract with the SMA, which entails that the vessels must be available during the first quarter of the year as required and within ten days for icebreaking in the Baltic Sea. In return, Transatlantic receives an annual basic fee, regardless of whether icebreaking is conducted or not. If icebreaking is conducted, the fee is increased. The contract expires in 2015, with an option to extend for an additional 15 years.
- "TransAtlantic signs contract for three of its offshore vessels". Trading Markets. 2010-02-16. Archived from the original on 2010-02-18.