VideoPad Video Editor
Screenshot of VideoPad Free 7.04 running on Windows 10, with a test project loaded.
|Initial release||16 December 2008|
8.96 (Windows) / 9 November 2020
|Operating system||Windows XP and later|
Mac OS X 10.5 and later
Android 2.2.3 and later
iOS 6.0 and later
|Available in||English, German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Italian, Korean, Russian|
|Type||Video editing software|
|License||Freeware (with optional paid options)|
VideoPad Video Editor (or simply VideoPad) is a video editing application developed by NCH Software for the home and professional market. The software is complemented by the VirtualDub plug-ins that work with the software. VideoPad is part of a suite that integrates with other software created by NCH Software. This other software includes WavePad, a sound-editing program; MixPad, a sound-mixing program; and PhotoPad, an image editor.
VideoPad supports frequently used file formats including Audio Video Interleave (AVI), Windows Media Video (WMV), 3GP, and DivX. It supports direct video uploads to YouTube, Flickr, and Facebook.
VideoPad uses two screens: the first for a preliminary review of chosen video and audio snippets and the second to review the entire track. The application supports several video effects, including those involving light, color, transitions, and text.
VideoPad is presumably trialware. The free edition is feature-limited, in particular only AVI and WMV export is supported, while the non-free version has more advanced features. VideoPad Master Edition supports plugins while the free version does not. The non-free edition does not limit simultaneous video tracks, but the free one allows at most two concurrent tracks and limits export file type options after the trial period expires. The premium version allows users to generate Blu-ray Discs.
VideoPad Video Edition add to Explorer context menu bloatware referencing to "Extract with Express Zip" (installed on-demand) associated to 7z, bz2, cab, gz, iso, img, rar, tar, tar.gz, tgz.
Redding Record Searchlight columnist Andrea Eldridge wrote in 2012 that the "easy-to-use VideoPad brings advanced features to the beginner". She said that VideoPad has a voice-over feature Windows Movie Maker did not have. The feature allows users to either record their own narration or upload existing recordings. Softonic.com praised VideoPad for being "simple" and "easy to use" but noted that "more advanced users will definitely find it too basic" and lamented that the program had "only three [transitions]". Nowadays VideoPad has many more.
Danny Chadwick of Top Ten Reviews rated VideoPad a 6.15/10. He praised the application for being "great for beginners" but said that it lacked "many of the transitions or extras that are standard in similar applications".
Maximum PC contributor Ben Kim stated in 2014 that "VideoPad is easily the best free video editor available." Kim wrote that VideoPad is "a stellar editor that manages to pack an almost obscene number of features into a surprisingly digestible package".
- "VideoPad Video Editor Versions - NCH Software".
- "VideoPad virtual dub plug-in support".
- Chadwick, Danny (2014-03-11). "VideoPad Master's Edition". Top Ten Reviews (Purch). Archived from the original on 2014-09-22. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- Muchmore, Michael (2012-03-30). "VideoPad Video Editor". PC Magazine. Archived from the original on 2014-09-30. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- Eldridge, Andrea (2012-07-29). "Nerds on Computers: Editing software brings out the awesome, skips the boredom". Redding Record Searchlight. Archived from the original on 2014-09-22. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- Fernandez, Edgardo (2014-07-25). "NCH Software: Los mejores desarrolladores de herramientas" [NCH Software: The Best of Developer Tools]. NeoTeo (ABC). Archived from the original on 2014-09-30. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- May, Scott (2011-06-28). "NCH Software offers fantastic, affordable apps". Columbia Daily Tribune. Archived from the original on 2014-09-30. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- Lewell, John (2011). Digital Photography for Next to Nothing: Free and Low Cost Hardware and Software to Help You Shoot Like a Pro. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons. pp. 200–201. ISBN 978-0-470-97058-4.
- Anwar, Javed (2013-06-09). "How to be a video star". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 2014-10-28. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "NCH Software adds playback speed variation feature". Datamonitor. Archived from the original on 2014-09-22. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- "VideoPad Video Editor". Softonic.com. 2014-05-05. Archived from the original on 2014-09-22. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- Powell, Nigel (2012-11-18). "Don't Panic – Your tech problems solved". The Sunday Times. Archived from the original on 2014-09-22. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- "VideoPad 5 Star Editors' Review". CNET. 2011-03-14. Archived from the original on 2014-10-28. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- Kim, Ben (2014-08-25). "Best Free Video Editor Roundup". Maximum PC. Archived from the original on 2014-10-28. Retrieved 2014-10-27.